K&N Air Filter - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By slowstig

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

K&N Air Filter

I'm not a really car tech guy, but another owner told me that he has gotten a hp boost from installing this air filter. Does anyone else have experience with that? I'm a bit hesitant to.do.this because I've read some NEGATIVE reviews of this even to.the extent that it could actually REDUCE performance and even damage your engine. I'd appreciate any input....
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:26 AM

The best part about a K&N is not having to buy another filter, ever. With that aside, any power gains will be minimal and hardly noticeable.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 PM

The only negative is when you go to clean/re-oil it, some people overdue the oiling part of it. When I installed the K&N into my wifes old 2007 Mazda 6 it had about 30K on it when installed and I didn't do the first cleaning till about 65K. Was it dirty, sure, but these filters are made to go long intervals between cleanings/re-oilings. Just use common sense, wash real good with the filter cleaner, rinse out good, let dry completely and then spray just enough oil onto the pleats so you can see it but keep your hand moving, then let it dry real good. Its probably a good idea to keep your old filter because if you have to drive the car after cleaning/oiling you're good to go during the dying process. BTW, once your out of the K&N cleaning solution just pick up some Super Clean and use it at full strength, the oil should last you quite a while but its a good idea to inspect the filter at every oil change as different regions have different "stuff" in the air

2018 ES Electric Blue
-Sport badge replaced by Veloster TURBO badge
-JUN B.L. axle-back
-SXTH Element CPLT intake
-SXTH Element Catchcan...on order!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 08:04 AM

a lot of the negative reviews i've seen come from people who don't know what they are doing. they end up over-oiling the filter and the excess gets on sensors within their intake and causes havoc. Lots of other blow-hards that just start spouting BS about them for who knows what reason!

I've personally run K&N on several vehicles and never had a problem. they are proven to flow better and increase power, although you won't really see/feel that. Engineering explained had a good video comparing dirty, clean, aftermarket, and K&N filters and it was around a 2% gain vs a clean oem filter on his crosstrek.

As said above, the best part is not having to buy another filter! What i do is keep the stock filter around and when it comes time to clean i throw it in the car, clean out the k&n really well and let it sit and fully air dry for 24hrs......if you don't need to drive anywhere you don't need to swap filters obviously, but i'm always on the go! Then instead of the spray oil that usually comes with the cleaning kits, i buy the squeeze bottle of oil and its MUCH easier to put the proper amount of oil on. just run it along each pleat and its really hard to over-oil.
Kizzle1 and KlasseAct like this.

'19 ES Base. Lava Orange 6mt
'17 Santa Fe XL Luxury
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 PM

Wink

All of this.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2018 ES Electric Blue
-Sport badge replaced by Veloster TURBO badge
-JUN B.L. axle-back
-SXTH Element CPLT intake
-SXTH Element Catchcan...on order!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:05 PM

Used K&N filters on my Ducati Monster and Triumph Speed Triple bikes. Very good and on a bike at least, a more robust induction noise. Used the squeeze bottle to re-oil.

I have an AEM cone filter on my 6MT. As others have said, don't over oil and all is good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page