Limited Slip for 6-Speed Manual - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
I was 99% in for doing it, then after talking with Josh at KDM Tuners I decided not to. The LSD itself is not actually made for our cars, they have to send them off to a machine shop and have them modified. Hence why it's so expensive. The reason I decided against it was the fact that I was told it's super clunky and noisy. Good for a track toy, not the best idea for a daily driver.
What about the Cusco LSD that IS designed for our car? Have you heard anything about that? It's cheaper too.

http://www.piercemotorsport.com/2017...-differential/

Last edited by FunkOdyssey; 03-22-2019 at 02:07 AM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
What about the Cusco LSD that IS designed for our car? Have you heard anything about that? It's cheaper too.

2017-2018 Elantra Sport Cusco Limited Slip Differential - Pierce Motorsports
That's the one I am talking about. KDM Tuners and Pierce are pretty much hand in hand. Different companies but they work together.

'17 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver / 14.2 @ 99 mph

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 AM

So which one is loud and clunky, the Cusco? If the only downside to the Quaife is that it has to be modified and is a bit more expensive, that wouldn't stop me.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So which one is loud and clunky, the Cusco? If the only downside to the Quaife is that it has to be modified and is a bit more expensive, that wouldn't stop me.
Was told the Cusco was loud and clunky. The Quaife never came up in the conversation, but judging by it'd description it sounds like both of them need to be modified in some way to work.

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:30 PM

Ok, that makes more sense as Cusco is a clutch LSD while the Quaife is a helical unit which is what you get in awesome cars like the Civic Type-R. If the necessary modifications to the Quaife LSD don't compromise its reliability, longevity, or function in any way, I am definitely getting one.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Ok, that makes more sense as Cusco is a clutch LSD while the Quaife is a helical unit which is what you get in awesome cars like the Civic Type-R. If the necessary modifications to the Quaife LSD don't compromise its reliability, longevity, or function in any way, I am definitely getting one.

Did you end up with one? I see quaife is factory for the Detroit 3, so I'm also very tempted...

I am actually here (as a member) because lack of LSD is a bit lousy... I have told everyone over the past 2 years that this car is my dream car from when I was a kid with 4 door compromises perfect for me as a dad, down to it having the best looking rims I have ever seen. Like if these were aftermarket in a catalog I'd pick them...

Turbo just as all 'cool' cars in the 80s, 90s, and it's a great looking car, kind of like if the g70 is forward looking, the 2017/2018 Elantra is the ultimate " late 90s-now sports bubble fwd sedan" design, I'd say.

Just need that Mechanical LSD to be perfect (as in my personal dream car). I legit plan to keep this car, If I have my 1972 charger, and this, in 30 years, I'll be happy. Of course, hanging around here I'll have a piston sized hole in the valve cover...
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:00 PM

Keep me up to date on the LSD options in this thread. I would love to purchase one on my ES before buying any other mods first.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmicu View Post
Keep me up to date on the LSD options in this thread. I would love to purchase one on my ES before buying any other mods first.
What you see is what we get at the moment. Nobody has purchased yet as far as I know.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmicu View Post
Maybe keep yourself updated?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:26 AM

This is what I received from Quaife sales.

Good Morning Jon,

Thank you very much for your enquiry;

Please find attached the technical drawing for the QDH21B, please usethis to compare the size of the differential in your vehicle as Iím not able tosay that this will fit with or without modification.

If the axle is shared between the vehicles it is likely that it willfit, but it is up to you to ensure the parts are the correct fitment.

If you have any further questions or I can be of any assistance in thefuture, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks and kind regards

Rob Vickers

Technical Sales

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/jmicu/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/jmicu/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]

This e-mail and anyattachment may contain confidential information. If you are not the intendedrecipient

you are not authorised tocopy or disclose all or any part of it without prior written consent of R.T.QUAIFE ENG LTD.

Opinions expressed inthe email and any attachments are those of the sender and notnecessarily the

opinions of R.T. QUAIFE ENGLTD. Please scan this e-mail and any attachments forviruses. R.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD

does not accept anyresponsibility for problems caused by viruses whether it is the fault ofR.T. QUAIFE ENG LTD

or not. PBefore printing, please think about theenvironment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page