Race Chip RS Unboxing - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Race Chip RS Unboxing

I've requested an appointment for installation at Race Chip's Brea office. I have to install the plugs first but it's raining for the next 4 days and I'd rather not bother in my open carport. Ordered 1/9, delivered today 1/14 from Germany. Documentation looks good but since they offered to install it I'm happy to take them up on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugs.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	15533   Click image for larger version

Name:	unbox.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	15535   Click image for larger version

Name:	chip.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	15537   Click image for larger version

Name:	uboxed.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	15539  
post #2 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 PM

Good luck.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #3 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:57 PM

This is going to be really interesting.. Been looking into this as well.

Did they recommend the HKS plugs?? Or are you going to fit them because they are recommended on here to fit

post #4 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehazeffc View Post
Did they recommend the HKS plugs?? Or are you going to fit them because they are recommended on here to fit
This thread convinced me to replace the plugs.
Purplehazeffc likes this.
post #5 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 05:43 PM

What did the lot set you back in AUD? Very interested to follow your results!
post #6 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
This is what it is for the Racechip RS. Plus $15 delivery from Ramspeed in Sydney.
Which gives it the same amount of torque as the i30N. With 20kw down in power.

There is a big jump in price to the GTS for a bit more power & torque
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racechip.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	15549  
post #7 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
$349 freedom dollars ~ $486 in didgeridollars. I bought the spark plugs from Torque for $113.
[email protected] likes this.

Last edited by likebudda; 01-16-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #8 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 AM

I should visit this forum more often as I felt like I was alone in this excursion.

My primary vehicle is 6th Gen Camaro S, but it’s tucked away for the winter.

I happened to be on the Camaro forums when I noticed over in the 2.0T subgroup there was a decent thread about the RaceChip and that application. I did some digging on their US and German website, as well as some other Googling, asking owners of the 2.0T Camaro owners and 1.6T Veloster owners about their experiences.

I noticed that they supported the 1.6T in the Veloster but nothing for the Elantra. Now, with the ES being my winter “beater” and therefore meant primarily for daily driving,

I then sent an email to their customer support and asked if they knew of any differences between the Veloster and ES that would prohibit the RaceChip from working. After about two days I got a reply from customer service that served up a boilerplate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceChip
Unfortunately, we don't have any RaceChips for your vehicle yet.
We don't recommend you to order the RaceChip for the Veloster.

The development process can take a few months before a RaceChip is released to assure you maximum performance and a safe drive.
Please visit back our website in a few months to check availability.

We appreciate your understanding since we cannot provide an estimated release date.
Not satisfied with this, I reached out to the RaceChip account on the Camaro6 forums and told them about how I’d be willing to try out the unit on my ES.

Someone got back with me almost instantly and gave the answer that I was expecting,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceChip
Thanks for asking. We can definitely tune this engine. In theory, you could take the product for the Veloster 1.6T and put it in your Elantra Sport. However, we always test all applications inhouse before we release it. Otherwise, we could not guarantee a good performance.

Let me discuss this with our engineers. I will come back to you in a few days.
Futhermore, please let me know if you are willing to test it.
The next day, I got another response that I could test the GTS unit for the ES which is perfect. I did not get the module that allows for on-the-fly mode adjustments using the app since I run top tier 93 octane in all my cars anyway.

Next week I have a 12 hour round trip drive planned for the weekend so what better time to try it out.

My RaceChip should be delivered from Germany by UPS today, and it’ll be going in today.

Regarding the spark plugs, I’ve been following the directions that are for our engine, the 1.6T as found in the Veloster, not the engines in the Stinger. While there’s certainly nothing wrong with replacing the spark plugs; for the Stinger application on the RaceChip website, when you select that vehicle, as well as in the installation manual it is recommended for that platform to change the spark plugs. No such recommendation is made for the 1.6T Veloster application.

One of the benefits touted by RaceChip is it is easy to install nature. We don't have boxer engines, I had an FR-S where spark plug changes could be quite the event, so to change them is a pretty straightforward non-cumbersome task but it may be off-putting to some.

The RaceChip is a piggyback application. It is entirely reversible and undetectable. It will not be for those who require an ECU tune. And those tunes can be undetectable and reversible if you go with the spare ECU approach. The ECU in our cars is not difficult to swap if you decide to go that route. A tune that is catered towards your specific performance additions to extract the most from them would be ideal. The RaceChip and other plug-and-play options would be perfect for the stock vehicle looking to squeeze as much as can safely be extracted from the stock parts.

One would say a piggyback is an old approach that has since been eclipsed by being able to directly interface and program an ECU, and I do not disagree with that. However, ECUs will soon be further encrypted and locked down, maybe not for our application, but certainly in future vehicles and the only other option for tuning would be a standalone swap or something like the RaceChip or another piggyback solution.

Having been in the game modifying cars for performance gains and tuning since I was 17 and now some 15 years, and 10 cars later, I tend to take the more conservative approach, but still scratch that occasional itch and that's what the RaceChip offers.
kdetlor, Purplehazeffc and Webster like this.

Last edited by ecko04; 01-18-2019 at 07:42 AM.
post #9 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
The next day, I got another response that I could test the GTS unit for the ES which is perfect.
Must be nice. They told me that they "have gotten our hands on the European version of your car, the i30, and confirmed the fitment.... You are welcome to purchase the unit, ahve it shipped to your address, and then stop by for us to install the device for you. We will also use our various sensors and data tools to make sure the device is working within the vehicles stock parameters. If there is any fitment issues at all you can leave the device with us and we will begin the refund process at the shop for you."

The last two sentences were the reason I was willing to buy it when it hadn't yet been tuned specifically to our platform. Unfortunately, they have not been responsive to my requests for an appointment at their Brea, CA office. Today is the first rain-free day since my unit was delivered and installation looks pretty straightforward so I'm considering YOLO-ing it. I'll try it with the stock plugs, I'm limited to 91 octane anyway.
post #10 of 138 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebudda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
The next day, I got another response that I could test the GTS unit for the ES which is perfect.
Must be nice. They told me that they "have gotten our hands on the European version of your car, the i30, and confirmed the fitment.....
Don’t get it twisted, by “test”, that didn’t mean it was free. It was several hundreds of dollars away from free.

I plan on following the installation directions from aFe’s Scorcher https://afepower.com/media/catalog/p...l4-1.6l_t_.pdf since RaceChip didn’t have a guide readily available for the ES/i30 on their site. I was emailed directions for the Veloster but I believe our boost pressure sensor is in a slightly different location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in