Best course of upgrades to avoid problems? - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Best course of upgrades to avoid problems?

2019 ES premium DCT owner

Reading and looking around, having a hard time deciding what parts to go for next to keep the build flowing smoothly with the bolt on portion anyway. Have the SXTH intake with bpv and breather delete. Great sound now, no boost issues reportable yet. Really impressed by SXTH quality and would prefer to keep my build to one brand just based on the experience so far.

Hot pipe upgrade worth it? I'm kind of sad sxth doesnt have the entire intercooler kit parted out like some others I've seen. I've also seen the resonator delete but I've read that part doesn't like to stay still when installed? And will installing a BOV have any effect besides pssssh?

What's the progression some of y'all have followed in your build and whats the reasoning behind it? Is it better to upgrade all the piping or upgrade your valves and solenoids first?

Thanks for any input!
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:22 PM

Definitely look into getting a tune from LAP3, I have no bolt ons just a high flow air filter and the tune. I did this as the stock ECU caps off at 190WHP, as of right now you're cutting pretty close so any other major improvements will not yield gains.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

I thought it was limited to 220whp? Is it variable between years?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:55 PM

The intercooler resonator delete will stay in just fine if it's installed properly. With that said, it's not really noticeable and your money is much better spent on the full hot pipe upgrade. The Intercooler kit isn't sold separately from the cold pipe because they are designed to work together. A proper BOV (recirculated or not) can increase throttle response and hold boost better for smoother acceleration. I noticed a night and day difference with my GFB Mach 2, even though it's recirculated.

For you I would go muffler delete (if you are OK with the noise) and definitely a rear sway bar. Also look into replacing the stock boost control solenoid, it's pretty terrible.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I am definitely doing something with this behemoth of a muffler... But have not seen any compatible parts yet for exhaust purposes for 2019.

As far as the boost solenoid, MAC or BTR? And for the BOV, will everything need a mounting bracket or is there any brands that will accept what's in place from factory?

Appreciate the input folks! So far it looks like a good idea for tubing/piping just for the weight reduction lol
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:26 PM

The stock ECU will limit the car to ~190whp. The stock turbo can go to ~240-250whp before it maxes out.

As far as the solenoid, the Borg Warner solenoid that BTR sells is what you want. The MAC solenoid is best reserved for the BOV. For the BOV, the only ones I know of that bolt right on without an adapter are GFB and Turbo Smart. I may have missed one though.

YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:18 PM

Garage
Did you find that the Mac Solenoid was a necessary install with the GFB Mach 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
The stock ECU will limit the car to ~190whp. The stock turbo can go to ~240-250whp before it maxes out.

As far as the solenoid, the Borg Warner solenoid that BTR sells is what you want. The MAC solenoid is best reserved for the BOV. For the BOV, the only ones I know of that bolt right on without an adapter are GFB and Turbo Smart. I may have missed one though.

Insert sarcastic, witty comment here.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfitforpublic View Post
Did you find that the Mac Solenoid was a necessary install with the GFB Mach 2?
Not sure yet. I actually purchased the solenoid a few months ago and have yet to install it.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:58 PM

Wow that solenoid from BTR is super pricey compared to the MAC solenoid equivalent.

I agree with R1600, DO NOT use the MAC solenoid on the wastegate, very high boost spikes will occur. I've got a boost gauge on my car and have seen it go as high as 1.8 bar (26 psi)

Mods: Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres, de-badged, grounding kit, Pioneer under seat sub, custom 3.5" Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow pod filter, MAC EBCS, 2.5" mandrel bent straight pipe from CAT, Magnaflow muffler, HKS M40XL plugs, Tork Stage 0+ Tune. 152KW 380NM ATW
To Come:Aeroflow FMIC, Stage 1 Tune
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:28 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
The intercooler resonator delete will stay in just fine if it's installed properly. With that said, it's not really noticeable and your money is much better spent on the full hot pipe upgrade. The Intercooler kit isn't sold separately from the cold pipe because they are designed to work together. A proper BOV (recirculated or not) can increase throttle response and hold boost better for smoother acceleration. I noticed a night and day difference with my GFB Mach 2, even though it's recirculated.

For you I would go muffler delete (if you are OK with the noise) and definitely a rear sway bar. Also look into replacing the stock boost control solenoid, it's pretty terrible.

Any tips and/or tricks for properly installing the intercooler resonator delete pipe, I would appreciate it as well as others here, thanks!

BTW OP, try and find out if JUN BL sells an axle-back, I love mine, sounds awesome with NO drone anywhere to be found!

2018 ES Electric Blue
-Sport badge replaced by Veloster TURBO badge
-JUN B.L. axle-back
-SXTH Element CPLT intake
-SXTH Element Catchcan...on order!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page