KO3 Turbo Upgrade - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Saw a turbo upgrade on KDM Tuners website and messaged them about it earlier this week (great customer service I must say). And was wondering how anyone felt about it? They mentioned I could pretty easily hit 300WHP FBO and tuned with it, but was wondering what numbers I could see with that and a tune and probably upgrade the thing that's been making my car sputter (I totally forgot the name of it but it's on the forum somewhere lol)

Any opinions?

Edit: also 1/2 the price of the Garret from LAP3
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:18 PM

I'm just curious why they're using the K03 vs. the K04? The latter is only slightly larger but uses the same mounting points. Very popular for VW/Audi folks when modding their B5s for more power.

That said, a proper turbo upgrade is not cheap since you (should) be upgrading the intercooler, intake, downpipe, exhaust, fuel pump, and custom tune as well. At that point, you will really need an LSD to help put the (increased) power down. It's a pretty slippery slope. Just my two cents...
KlasseAct likes this.

2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
Previous:
2008 E63 AMG wagon
2002 Audi S6 Avant
2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
1994 Acura Integra RS
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightar View Post
I'm just curious why they're using the K03 vs. the K04? The latter is only slightly larger but uses the same mounting points. Very popular for VW/Audi folks when modding their B5s for more power.

That said, a proper turbo upgrade is not cheap since you (should) be upgrading the intercooler, intake, downpipe, exhaust, fuel pump, and custom tune as well. At that point, you will really need an LSD to help put the (increased) power down. It's a pretty slippery slope. Just my two cents...

Yeah I'm planning on getting all my parts this winter (I work in hockey rinks so winter time is my money maker) but FBO for sure. I heard there is no LSD manufactured as no one purchased it when it was 😞 maybe I'm wrong just from what I've read before. I'm really looking to get at least 300whp as I'm still driving it daily and 400whp will SUCK without a clutch pack upgrade

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:21 PM

300-320whp is about the max you want to go before you need to upgrade the rods. As said above, you will need all of the supporting hardware.

Also, an LSD is available. KDM Tuners and Pierce Motorsports have them, and they are not cheap.

'17 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver / 14.2 @ 99 mph

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
300-320whp is about the max you want to go before you need to upgrade the rods. As said above, you will need all of the supporting hardware.

Also, an LSD is available. KDM Tuners and Pierce Motorsports have them, and they are not cheap.

Honestly to even go FBO is not cheap with the US/Canada exchange rate, but I'm glad there is a LSD available, I don't know how I did not see that. Sucks about the rods, I was hoping I might be able to get away with a bit more power but it's understandable. I think I read that LAP3 had theirs hitting 380whp+ with just forged rods? Would that be good enough for internals?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshrobi33 View Post
Honestly to even go FBO is not cheap with the US/Canada exchange rate, but I'm glad there is a LSD available, I don't know how I did not see that. Sucks about the rods, I was hoping I might be able to get away with a bit more power but it's understandable. I think I read that LAP3 had theirs hitting 380whp+ with just forged rods? Would that be good enough for internals?
May have been rods and meth injection but don't quote me on that. They have one making over 400whp but I think that car is a fully built engine?

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Quote:
May have been rods and meth injection but don't quote me on that. They have one making over 400whp but I think that car is a fully built engine?
The 400whp car is absolutely a fully built block.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Idol View Post
Quote:
The 400whp car is absolutely a fully built block.
Definitely not looking for anything more then 320whp after figuring out internals will need upgrades, just too new to the car scene and too broke to have someone do it for me lol, most I'll do is get my good buddy to put in an upgraded turbo to get past 280whp which I believe is what stock turbos can do (??)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshrobi33 View Post
Definitely not looking for anything more then 320whp after figuring out internals will need upgrades, just too new to the car scene and too broke to have someone do it for me lol, most I'll do is get my good buddy to put in an upgraded turbo to get past 280whp which I believe is what stock turbos can do (??)
Stock turbo is 240-250whp if you are lucky. And you will need meth injection to get there.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:25 PM

Do you guys have a link to where they sell the LSD from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page