ES with Big Gulp Intake - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluekid99 View Post
I have the SXth Element intake on my elantra as well and never noticed anything unless it was a cold start and never let it warm up...i have a turbo xs BOV on as well and the only issue i get is a check engine light which im assuming is the solenoid that i dont feel like changing...it disappears after a bit...otherwise i havent noticed a thing
Solenoid won't fix that. ECU is just sensitive about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemtwin View Post
Hmm.. alright, here is an example of the choppy air sound I was talking about. This doesn't happen all the time but when you do a decent pull at certain RPMs this is what it sounds like. what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HXFfsQr_M
That's the rattle snake I was talking about. Upgrade the factory boost solenoid and it will go away.

'17 6MT Base | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver / 14.2 @ 99 mph

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemtwin View Post
Hmm.. alright, here is an example of the choppy air sound I was talking about. This doesn't happen all the time but when you do a decent pull at certain RPMs this is what it sounds like. what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HXFfsQr_M
Are you overloading the engine basically too high of gear trying to get on it? I do have a mk7 gti as well and that sound is common through either a leak somewhere or a bad turbo. The mk7 gti is notorious for blowing turbos.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluekid99 View Post
Are you overloading the engine basically too high of gear trying to get on it? I do have a mk7 gti as well and that sound is common through either a leak somewhere or a bad turbo. The mk7 gti is notorious for blowing turbos.
I don't think so? it's a DCT, I usually let it choose its own gears during my normal commute. I'll check the silicon reducer at the turbo inlet again, but everything was pretty snug. I think I might just have to upgrade the Solenoid

2019 Elantra sport/ DCT/intense blue
RS Race Chip
SXTH element Ram intake

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Sounds like the BOV fluttering. Might need a stiffer spring.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 08:46 PM

A lot of modern turbo cars will use the bypass valve in conjunction with the wastegate to manage boost pressure entering the engine. I believe it's to keep the turbo spinning at a higher rpm but to not send boost into the engine, which helps with throttle response if you do decide to increase throttle. It goes away when you lean into the throttle more, right? Sounds like this is what's happening in this case, judging by the video.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
A lot of modern turbo cars will use the bypass valve in conjunction with the wastegate to manage boost pressure entering the engine. I believe it's to keep the turbo spinning at a higher rpm but to not send boost into the engine, which helps with throttle response if you do decide to increase throttle. It goes away when you lean into the throttle more, right? Sounds like this is what's happening in this case, judging by the video.
yes, pretty much. Low/High throttle input you don't hear it, but its that mid throttle input you here it most.

2019 Elantra sport/ DCT/intense blue
RS Race Chip
SXTH element Ram intake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page