Australian Elantra SR exhaust mod - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Australian Elantra SR exhaust mod

Hi peeps from Sydney Australia here with a 2018 Elantra Sport (SR in Australia) DCT. Just want to share my experience with my exhaust upgrades on this car.

In Aug 2018 I took out the resonator (delete) for bit of better exhaust note. It was only a touch louder and most noise goes to cabin i think.

Now just in Jun 2019 I replaced the muffler with a reputable local company Hurricane Exhaust. They did a great job in custom making the muffler that just bolts on. Even ceramic coated it for additional benefits. It sounds so much better now. Took about a week to break in with the sound, it started with bit of rumble but once it settles it sound so smooth.

For how it sounds, i put together a video for doing a cold start of the car. Notice the pops and crackles!

As for driveability, the car gearchange is so much smoother and no hesitations in low gears anymore! I use to experience hiccups in gear 1 and 2 which is annoying but now you can barely notice the gear change. Turbo lag also non-existent. I reckon the Australian muffle is so restrictive that it really ruin the whole experience with this car. This upgrade is totally worth it.

As for people worry about missus complaining, as long as you drive like an uber driver, they won't even notice. Cabin noise decibel levels are recorded as follows. It doesn't really reach 80dB at redline. Average is about 45dB so its relatively quiet. Even at normal acceleration, won't go over 60dB at all.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:48 PM

Hey mate. Fellow Sydney SR owner here. Sounds great. I've a torcon axle back on mine but thinking of getting the resonator deleted. Where did you get it done & what did they charge?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyG View Post
Hey mate. Fellow Sydney SR owner here. Sounds great. I've a torcon axle back on mine but thinking of getting the resonator deleted. Where did you get it done & what did they charge?
also keen to know, I'd ideally like the 2nd cat and res deleted and a decent muffler, stock tips though.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 07:18 PM

Hi fellow Aussies.

I've got a similar setup, 2nd cat + resonator and stock muffler removed, magnaflow straight through turbo muffler installed with stock tips.

Sound is great, highway cruising you won't notice much difference in sound unroll you put the foot down.

Like the video above, pops and crackles are noticeable especially when you take your foot off the accelerator at every gear, however no where near as loud as this video. Pops and crackles when the car is not engaged in any gear is a lot louder exactly like this video above video.

Mine is also tuned with aftermarket cooler and a few other mods.

FYI - it does get slightly louder again at both ends with the massive 3.5" intake and pod filter on. I'm now considering putting on a resonator in the middle of the exhaust to quiet it down a little further as I want to do a few more funky mods and don't want a cop magnet.

Mods: Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres, de-badged, grounding kit, Pioneer under seat sub, custom 3.5" Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow pod filter, MAC EBCS, 2.5" mandrel bent straight pipe from CAT, Magnaflow muffler, HKS M40XL plugs, Tork Stage 0+ Tune. 152KW 380NM ATW
To Come:Aeroflow FMIC, Stage 1 Tune
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyG View Post
I've got it done at A1 exhaust in Alexandria for $180. The guy did a good job but he did cut out the resonator and welded in a straight pipe and did a ceramic coat afterwards. He seemed experienced but afterwards I read that the resonator is actually removable without cutting so I suggest give that a try instead of cutting. That way you have less chance of getting a bad job done on it. And also reverseable. Should shop around locally for any good reviewed shops as most of them with more than a good number of 4+ stars on Google is pretty reputable.

As for the sound difference for the resonator, I believe the pops and crackles came from the resonator delete. I feel that the Aussie resonator is different to the one in the States. Bit more restrictive. But i could be wrong.

The pops or rather bangs that I got on video was quite lucky. I discovered that it only happens during cold start and not engaging in any gears. During normal driving you won't be able to hear it much.

My next upgrade would likely be a LAP3 to get that real decent amount of pop and crackle. But that has to wait, not sure how my newborn baby will take it, let alone my missus.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickaiii View Post
I read that the resonator is actually removable without cutting so I suggest give that a try instead of cutting.
Different resonator or not, layout should be the same and it's not removable without cutting. Unless you replace the whole center section, including the 2nd catalytic converter.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:18 PM

Correct... center pipe includes 2nd catalytic converter and resonator.

Mods: Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres, de-badged, grounding kit, Pioneer under seat sub, custom 3.5" Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow pod filter, MAC EBCS, 2.5" mandrel bent straight pipe from CAT, Magnaflow muffler, HKS M40XL plugs, Tork Stage 0+ Tune. 152KW 380NM ATW
To Come:Aeroflow FMIC, Stage 1 Tune

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page