Winter Rim and Tires - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Winter Rim and Tires

Hi Everyone,

I'm Mone from Toronto, and just joined this Forum. I've bought (but not yet received) a White 2017 Sport. I originally was going to buy a regular Elantra, and ended up getting a free car (more like a beater), and then found out that a Sport would be available at some point. I'm now (soon to be), a new owner. And very excited.

Because I'm a resident of Toronto, we get winter weather, and I am researching a winter tire and steel rim combination. I'm not sure what is available? I know there are some concerns, with front wheel caliper size, and perhaps some other things...

I was hoping other members could suggest or share what they have come up with in this area. I'm looking for (if it works), a 16 in steel rim, and a tire, that is the same overall size as the stock 18 in rim and tire. Also, if nessassary to get the tire sensors.

Thank you in advance.
post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Garage
The spare is a 16" wheel.

A 6.5" wide wheel with an offset around 30 will sit about the same outer position as the stock wheels. A 7" wide wheel with a 40mm offset will sit about the same as the stock wheels.

Erik B.
Wisconsin Autocrossers _/\_ _/\_ _/\__/\__/\_
SCCA PDX Instructor--MKE Region
Milwaukee, USA
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 09:05 AM

The car doesn't come with tire sensors up here, so you can save by not getting those.

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:19 AM

Tires.

The front rotors are to large for 16" wheels. The 17" that come on the higher end regular Elantras will fit for the stud pattern and are large enough on their inside diameter to calipers. Any winter wheel and tire combo that you would run on a Elantra limited should work fine on the Sport. There is a tire comparison chart online to verify the outside tire diameter. I may be selling my truck and if I do I will be buying winter tires and wheels for the ES. Look at Canadian Tire for there selection and some idea of price. I am in NB Canada so I am looking at some snow as well. lol.
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinsaplenty View Post
The front rotors are to large for 16" wheels. The 17" that come on the higher end regular Elantras will fit for the stud pattern and are large enough on their inside diameter to calipers. Any winter wheel and tire combo that you would run on a Elantra limited should work fine on the Sport. There is a tire comparison chart online to verify the outside tire diameter. I may be selling my truck and if I do I will be buying winter tires and wheels for the ES. Look at Canadian Tire for there selection and some idea of price. I am in NB Canada so I am looking at some snow as well. lol.
The SPARE is a 16. (125/80-16) A 16 therefore will fit...to further confirm my suspicions, I test-fit my 16x8 ET50 FD RX7 wheels. No Problem. The clearance between the wheel and caliper was about 1/2"--meaning *maybe* certain 15" wheels might just fit as well.
Racer1ab likes this.

Erik B.
Wisconsin Autocrossers _/\_ _/\_ _/\__/\__/\_
SCCA PDX Instructor--MKE Region
Milwaukee, USA

Last edited by echobravo; 08-13-2017 at 01:01 PM.
post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echobravo View Post
The SPARE is a 16. (125/80-16) A 16 therefore will fit...to further confirm my suspicions, I test-fit my 16x8 ET50 FD RX7 wheels. No Problem. The clearance between the wheel and caliper was about 1/2"--meaning *maybe* certain 15" wheels might just fit as well.
I did not know. thank you.
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM

Price wise, I've never found any off season deals. I think the best time to start comparison shopping is when Canadian Tire starts doing their "buy 3 tires, get the 4th tire free" sales on pure winter tires. That's the point in time when they and all the retailers have received their pile of winters.

By the way, Tire Rack is showing 15" wheel and tire packages for our car, including steelies plus other rims. They generally won't show a size that doesn't fit.
post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjp1 View Post
Price wise, I've never found any off season deals. I think the best time to start comparison shopping is when Canadian Tire starts doing their "buy 3 tires, get the 4th tire free" sales on pure winter tires. That's the point in time when they and all the retailers have received their pile of winters.

By the way, Tire Rack is showing 15" wheel and tire packages for our car, including steelies plus other rims. They generally won't show a size that doesn't fit.
There's a seller on eBay that lists 16" Elantra SE takeoff rims with TPMS installed for under $300 shipped. It's an awesome deal for snow set wheels. I'm not sure how many they have left but that's worth looking into.

My set isn't in the most amazing of shape (they have some scratches from storage) but for the money I don't care. I'd much rather have these over steelies and OEM tire pressure sensors FTW!

Ceramic White 2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6MT

Last edited by n0thing; 08-14-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM

205 55 16 should be the same diameter as stock.
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi All,

Thank you for replying to this thread. It was very helpful. There is also another thread about winter tires and rims. I will go with a set of 16" since it seems that 16's will be no problem. Also, Canadian Tire may be a good resource. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your input.

I just got my Elantra Sport, and I have to admit, Hyundai has come a long way from the Pony and Stellar. I am very impressed with the car, and also my buying experience.

PS. And this forum/community has been helpful, of course!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page