I want a Kia that I cannot buy - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I want a Kia that I cannot buy

I never thought I would say it out loud, but I fell 'attracted' to a Kia. The new 2019 Kia ProCeed Wagon GT line.
Don't get me wrong, I love my ES. But this, being build around the same platform, has all the things ES is missing (for me). For starters, more cargo space (I keep a boat on a lake during summer and often have to bring quite some stuff). Then the LKAS and active cruise control (getting to the lake on the highway). Instrument cluster gets torque and boost gauge (why couldn't we???). Same engine and gearbox choice as ES. I am infatuated with the lines of this Kia. I see similarities to Stinger - but since wagons are not really selling well in North America, this will be yet another car that will never make it here

Test drive (in German)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	15575  
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:06 AM

Totally agree, saw this at the australian open... very nice looking with premium featured car. This has a lot of safety/tech the ES was missing from 2017/8 models...

Mods: Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres, de-badged, grounding kit, Pioneer under seat sub, custom 3.5" Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow pod filter, MAC EBCS, 2.5" mandrel bent straight pipe from CAT, Magnaflow muffler, HKS M40XL plugs, Tork Stage 0+ Tune. 152KW 380NM ATW
To Come:Aeroflow FMIC, Stage 1 Tune
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 01:39 AM

The 2020 Forte5 GT, which will only be sold in Canadian markets (US won't get it) is very similar.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...nada-only.html

'17 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver / 14.2 @ 99 mph

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

I made recently a visit to the Kia dealer. They don't have the GT (yet), and Canada will only get the hatchback. Sedan does seem to have a nicer line...I guess I grew out of hatchbacks. Forte5 does not give me the same visual 'wow' factor as the Proceed GT does.

I looked at standard Forte and I have to say that the quality of interior finish is better. More soft plastics (for example right under the windows, but on front doors only. The centre console also have soft feel where the knee is resting) vs Elantra. Kias are slowly growing on me.

I read more on the Proceed GT. It is not wagon, but a "Shooting brake" style. I did not know this existed. Also, the exhaust system is active and changes note in the 'sport' mode. The sunroof is more of style found in the Veloster Turbo - nice. Rear hatch does power-close. Standard is active cruise control with traffic mode (car will follow vehicle in front and will stop and start moving again as the traffic moves forward). Pretty neat. Lane assist, wireless charging. The car does borrow rear-end styling cues from Panamera and Macan. On the negative note, while in Sport mode, sound system plays some additional engine noise which cannot be turned off, unlike in the Stinger.

Nice review in english
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 01:54 AM

My Polestar borders on the shooting brake style, but it is a wagon:

I'm a big high performance wagon fan. My previous wagons were an E63 AMG

And an S6 Avant

I will always have at least one wagon in the stable.

The ES is my more practical yet still fun vehicle. If the Proceed GT came in a manual into the USA, I would seriously think about trading in the ES for it. I doubt that will ever happen though.

2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
Previous:
2008 E63 AMG wagon
2002 Audi S6 Avant
2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
1994 Acura Integra RS
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

@mightar : I have been keen on wagons as well and had two of them. Last one being 2008 A4 Avant. I sold it before getting 15 Elantra due to high mileage and relatively high maintenance/repair cost. My ultimate vehicle, but being in Canada it is build from unobtainium, is the all mightly RS6 Avant. On the flip side, even if that car makes it to North America, I would have to wait for it to depreciate for a couple of years or so. I would be very happy with new Proceed GT. Time will tell.
Volvos - they look really good and I did test drive the Polestar, but there is something about their centre console that never mixed well with me.
mightar likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsiTurbo View Post
@mightar : I have been keen on wagons as well and had two of them. Last one being 2008 A4 Avant. I sold it before getting 15 Elantra due to high mileage and relatively high maintenance/repair cost. My ultimate vehicle, but being in Canada it is build from unobtainium, is the all mightly RS6 Avant. On the flip side, even if that car makes it to North America, I would have to wait for it to depreciate for a couple of years or so. I would be very happy with new Proceed GT. Time will tell.
Volvos - they look really good and I did test drive the Polestar, but there is something about their centre console that never mixed well with me.
I would love to get an RS6 Avant, but like you, I always wait for first owner depreciation as well. I've bought all my wagons this way.

The Polestar infotainment is definitely dated compared to the current Volvo lineup, but it has lifetime map updates for free among other things. That said, I rarely ever use Android Auto in the ES - just too lazy to physically connect the USB cable to my Galaxy S7 lol. And my wife absolutely hates the "floating screen" design motif (and why the Kia Stinger GT2 was out of the running). I told her that that is pretty much the norm for new vehicles these days. I'm just glad that it plays MP3s off a usb drive - that's what I do with the ES right now as well.

Hopefully future vehicles will allow more than one USB port for data connection to the headunit. And wireless Android Auto would be nice. Not sure if the 2019 ES has those features...

2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
Previous:
2008 E63 AMG wagon
2002 Audi S6 Avant
2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
1994 Acura Integra RS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Back to Kia Forte GT (sedan / hatchback). There is a very nice review (use chrome translate or S3 translate) of K3 GT in both hatchback and sedan. The interior does seem nice.

https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/post...mberNo=2591651
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Interestingly, there is already upgraded control arms set for the Forte available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Arms.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	15877  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsiTurbo View Post
Back to Kia Forte GT (sedan / hatchback). There is a very nice review (use chrome translate or S3 translate) of K3 GT in both hatchback and sedan. The interior does seem nice.

https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/post...mberNo=2591651
Do you where you can order from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page