The Magnuson Moss-Warranty Act [US federal law 15 U.S.C. 2301] - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By R1600Turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

The Magnuson Moss-Warranty Act [US federal law 15 U.S.C. 2301]

Hey all,

Fairly new to the community. With all the exciting mod talks, I figured I toss this tidbit in here for all U.S owners. I found this about a year ago talking to a co-worker who was modifying his jeep. We're talking lift kit/exhaust/intakes the whole thing. I asked "Hey man what about the warranty? and he told me about The Magnuson Moss-Warranty Act.

Essentially it says this:
[copied straight from the attached link]

1) Warranties can not be voided simply because an aftermarket part is used on your vehicle.

2) Warranty repairs can only be denied when it can be proven than an aftermarket part caused the failure.

3) The burden of proof is on the manufacturer the dealership must show that a specific aftermarket part caused a problem in order to deny a warranty claim.

4) When an aftermarket part is the cause of a specific problem, only the warranty for that problem can be denied. Other, unrelated problems are still covered under warranty.

5) The dealership or manufacturer can not require consumers to use a particular brand of part or require service to be completed at a specific location as a condition of their warranty.

Hopefully none of us have to experience using a warranty repair. But, in the event you do and have modifications, you can think of this!

What do you guys think about this law, did you know about it? For anyone outside the US, are there similar laws that help protect consumers?

Link to Article, there are some good examples --> https://tundraheadquarters.com/after...-new-warranty/

Additional info: https://consumer.findlaw.com/consume...anty-act-.html

2019 Elantra sport/ DCT/intense blue
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM

My opinion is that if anyone is worried about voiding their warranty they are better off not modifying their car. With that said, yes, everyone should know about this. Doesn't mean that dealers will just give in though, they will fight against it and if you're not prepared to pay for a lawyer you really can't do anything. So only put parts on the car that are easily removable or find a dealer that doesn't care like mine.
mightar likes this.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
Agree with R1600Turbo. You have to pay to play, and car companies can afford nicer lawyers than you can when push comes to shove.

Ceramic White 2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6MT

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemtwin View Post
Hey all,

Fairly new to the community. With all the exciting mod talks, I figured I toss this tidbit in here for all U.S owners. I found this about a year ago talking to a co-worker who was modifying his jeep. We're talking lift kit/exhaust/intakes the whole thing. I asked "Hey man what about the warranty? and he told me about The Magnuson Moss-Warranty Act.

Essentially it says this:
[copied straight from the attached link]

1) Warranties can not be voided simply because an aftermarket part is used on your vehicle.

2) Warranty repairs can only be denied when it can be proven than an aftermarket part caused the failure.

3) The burden of proof is on the manufacturer the dealership must show that a specific aftermarket part caused a problem in order to deny a warranty claim.

4) When an aftermarket part is the cause of a specific problem, only the warranty for that problem can be denied. Other, unrelated problems are still covered under warranty.

5) The dealership or manufacturer can not require consumers to use a particular brand of part or require service to be completed at a specific location as a condition of their warranty.

Hopefully none of us have to experience using a warranty repair. But, in the event you do and have modifications, you can think of this!

What do you guys think about this law, did you know about it? For anyone outside the US, are there similar laws that help protect consumers?

Link to Article, there are some good examples --> https://tundraheadquarters.com/after...-new-warranty/

Additional info: https://consumer.findlaw.com/consume...anty-act-.html
I took my car in for a coolant leak, a bracket holding a hose to the turbo broke. It was repaired under warranty even though there is no record of any service as I change my own oil. No mention of any of my mods (intake, exhaust & intercooler resonator deletes, breather delete) except for a snicker from the tech when he heard my BPV vent to atmosphere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page