OEM vs Aftermarket Service Parts. - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
OEM vs Aftermarket Service Parts.

To put it short, I joined this thread so I can learn more about my car and make sure Im up to date with whats best and whats not with servicing it. I felt as though getting aftermarket parts (Purolator oil filter vs OEM) may have its benefits than a stock filter that you'd get from the dealership to keep it up to spec and stock. My brother who has worked on cars in his free time for more than a decade is telling me I shouldn't go away from anything the dealership would want me to put in the car (oil and air filters, gaskets, washers, etc.).

What do you guys think about this?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Always, always, always use an OEM oil filter.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Idol View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that. Always use an oil filter that meets or beats OEM spec. If you cut into the OEM filters, you'll likely find they are someone else's design and you're paying more $ for the Hyundai labeled casing.

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball..."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
That's all I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja'Crispy View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that. Always use an oil filter that meets or beats OEM spec. If you cut into the OEM filters, you'll likely find they are someone else's design and you're paying more $ for the Hyundai labeled casing.
My opinion of that is that manufactures put millions of miles on their cars testing them and if they had issues with the OEM spec stuff, they wouldn't sell us cars with the bad parts.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
I found this out with an electrical issue I had with my taco. There are only five or less manufacturers of wiring harnesses in the world. I have no doubt that this is true for other parts as well. Would be very difficult for a company to be able to make all their own parts for even one model. I believe that as long as the part or fluid meets manufacturers specs that it will not void warranty. ie, Wheels, as long as the sizing is correct there is no issue in a aftermarket wheel being put on a vehicle. Not sure this applies to changes that are outside of the cars original design and specs. This is why I am timid of moding my ES. I want to when I get the cash but afraid of voiding my warranty.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
That's all I use.

My opinion of that is that manufactures put millions of miles on their cars testing them and if they had issues with the OEM spec stuff, they wouldn't sell us cars with the bad parts.
I'm not disagreeing that OEM is the safest choice, within reason. I'm just saying it's not always the BEST choice.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Quote:
They used to be made by Mann, not sure who makes them now. However, I can buy them on Ebay for about $4.00 per filter when buying in a lot. Not a snowball's chance in **** that I can buy them that cheaply from another manufacturer.
Ja'Crispy likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:04 PM

If you don't use OEM, stick to WIX or MANN (whom makes most OEMs)
Since you can get them when you order from Amsoil Preferred at nearly cost it makes it easy, since that's the ideal oil to begin with.

I like WIX, typically when one compared to OEM, they don't differ greatly, although they tend to go for the higher flow medium that is less dense when they do differ, but the medium is far more uniform than OEM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
They used to be made by Mann, not sure who makes them now. However, I can buy them on Ebay for about $4.00 per filter when buying in a lot. Not a snowball's chance in **** that I can buy them that cheaply from another manufacturer.
Great point. There is nothing wrong with using an OEM filter. When in doubt, use an OEM. Especially if you can find them that cheap. To my point though, if one were to keep stopping by the dealership to purchase an OEM filter they're getting ripped off. Most vehicle manufacturers don't design their own filters, they license someone else's. I've used many different non OEM filters on several hyundais and had no issues. I have an 06 Sonata about to hit 320k miles. Had an 03 Elantra hit 205k miles before it was traded in an an 01 Elantra hit 165k miles before it got totaled. I've never had any vehicle I've owned ever give me issues because I failed to use an OEM oil filter.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
See, thats my thing. I get that OEM are meant for the car but does that really mean Im using a different filter than what the dealer is using with my ES compared to a base Elantra, or even the Eco that still has a turbo in it too? I figured a different filter might allow for better maintenance given the fact that it is a slightly different car than that of the other Elantras for the same year.

Quote:
Where/how do I find the filter meant for this car, at a price like that? Especially ones that are meant to be pretty close to OEM or whatever is best meant for the car? I mean, another thread I have on here I asked about oil changes and someone recommended Purolator (which is what I have hooked up to my car right now). I know Purolator have a couple different tiers of oil filters so I know I can get some cheaper than others. Im just trying to make sure I do the right thing for this car for the long haul.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page