Sputtering at 4k RPM AND BEYOND - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Sputtering at 4k RPM AND BEYOND

So my 17 es 6spd manual is sputtering after 4k rpm. It seems to be holding power back and jerking me in the car when I floor it after this point. Is this normal for the turbo elantra? I'm at dealer and they say it may be normal for hyundai turbos. They also said that since I have an aftermarket intake and the blow off valve is not connected to the intake that this could be the issue but its only been doing this for a couple months now. I have a 6 inch rubber pipe over the blow off valve and it is venting to atmosphere and have a chair stopper with a clamp around the spot where the hole would be where the blow off valve would connect to the intake. I have been running the car like this for about 6 months or longer now and it just started doing it a short while ago. It mainly jerks me and the rpm jumps around at around 4k when I am in 4th gear and flooring it above 70mph. Please help. The dealer is fucking stupid and has no idea what they are talking about and couldn't give me any advice.

Has anyone else run into this issue at about 70+mph on highway in a manual trans flooring it and the car seems to sputter and jerk you a bit in the car?

Please help!!!
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 PM

My ES is completely stock internally and I don't have that issue. Has the dealer done a pressure test?

2017 Electric Blue Elantra Sport 6MT w/ Premium pkg
2017 Rebel Blue V60 Polestar
Previous:
2008 E63 AMG wagon
2002 Audi S6 Avant
2001.5 Audi S4 (stage 2+)
1994 Acura Integra RS
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Can you give more detail as to what you mean by "jumps around"?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I floor it from 4th gear and 5th gear above 4k rpm and sometimes the rpm gauge bounces and the car seems like it is holding back power like it doesn't want to go harder. The Dealer said to reinstall the factory intake system and bring it back in and then they would test it, but they said since the k&n cold air intake is not connected directly to the blow off valve that this could potentially be the issue but they have no idea. I took the mechanic for a drive and he stated it seemed like a normal hyundai turbo function.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Here are photos of the set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_155148.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	16631   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_155205.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	16633  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I just put the pipe back on to connect the blow off and the intake and now when I floor it multiple times down the highway it seems to really cut off and cut back on me.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoResumes View Post
I floor it from 4th gear and 5th gear above 4k rpm and sometimes the rpm gauge bounces and the car seems like it is holding back power like it doesn't want to go harder. The Dealer said to reinstall the factory intake system and bring it back in and then they would test it, but they said since the k&n cold air intake is not connected directly to the blow off valve that this could potentially be the issue but they have no idea. I took the mechanic for a drive and he stated it seemed like a normal hyundai turbo function.
The car has a map sensor, venting to atmosphere will not harm it.

My guess is that the stock boost control solenoid is acting up. Very common that they fail in high temps. I would start there.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

This tube where I have a red arrow pointing to has a crack in it from where the clamp was. I think the stupid mechanic at the dealer moved the clamp and now theres a crack in that tube. Not sure what it goes to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Views:	36
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	16635  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

They put the clamp where I have the arrow showing almost in the middle of the tube and it created a small crack. The dealer told me to put back to stock and bring it in. I think the mechanic at the dealer was new and fucking stupid and had no idea what he was talking about.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I will have them check the stock boost solenoid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in