Noisy Suspension - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Noisy Suspension

Has anyone encountered noisy suspension on their car? My ES now has 10.5k miles on it, and it has developed a groaning/popping noise when the wheel is turned right on clover-leaf entrance/exit ramps. The sound usually triggers around 30-35 mph; seems like that's the sweet spot when there is enough load on the components.

The dealer looked at it and heard the noise on a test drive. Told me to bring the car back when a service loaner is available, but it will be a hard problem to diagnose... (my local dealer has already let me down on a separate issue that they cannot isolate)

Any thought on what might be worn/failing? I have a library of videos I'd be happy to share so you guys can take a listen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/132D...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eji...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by kbarrett20; 02-17-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #2 of 91 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Nothing, and I have pushed my car quite hard. Only thing I have noticed is a vibration in the brake pedal when trail braking into a right hand corner at high speeds.
kdetlor likes this.

'17 6MT Base | SXTH Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 | Federal 595 RS-R 255/35/18
post #3 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 04:26 AM

Similar problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarrett20 View Post
Has anyone encountered noisy suspension on their car? My ES now has 10.5k miles on it, and it has developed a groaning/popping noise when the wheel is turned right on clover-leaf entrance/exit ramps. The sound usually triggers around 30-35 mph; seems like that's the sweet spot when there is enough load on the components.

The dealer looked at it and heard the noise on a test drive. Told me to bring the car back when a service loaner is available, but it will be a hard problem to diagnose... (my local dealer has already let me down on a separate issue that they cannot isolate)

Any thought on what might be worn/failing? I have a library of videos I'd be happy to share so you guys can take a listen.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/132D...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eji...ew?usp=sharing
I'm having a very similar problem on my 2017 Elantra Sport DCT. On right turns, I hear a clunking noise coming from underneath the car. Never on left turns. It's actually more noticeable at slower speeds, and it seems to be right when you turn in. I'm sure the dealer won't be able to figure it out since it's intermittent, so I guess I'm just going to wait for it to get worse. Hopefully something will actually fail and make it obvious, without putting me in any danger.

post #4 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 08:57 AM

9600 on my 18 ES and nothing like this. Squeaky power steering pump in the cold, but nothing from the suspension.

post #5 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Mines in now for exactly this issue. I have 23000kms and it started a few months ago. It was in a month or so ago but due to winter weather it was hard to diagnose. Hopefully this time they can sort it out. I'll keep you posted. It sounds like it comes from the right rear, only on right turns, more prominent at 20-40kms/h. They suspect sway bar but we'll see.
post #6 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayADF View Post
I'm having a very similar problem on my 2017 Elantra Sport DCT. On right turns, I hear a clunking noise coming from underneath the car. Never on left turns. It's actually more noticeable at slower speeds, and it seems to be right when you turn in. I'm sure the dealer won't be able to figure it out since it's intermittent, so I guess I'm just going to wait for it to get worse. Hopefully something will actually fail and make it obvious, without putting me in any danger.
The dealer gave up on mine. They said it was going to have to get worse. Under the direction of the dealer's apathetic service manager, I'm in the process of starting a ticket with Hyundai Consumer Affairs. Apparently, they will send out a tech who knows the car top to bottom and has a better shot at diagnosing the issue. This is crazy how the car can make such a racket, but everyone acts like their hands are tied! I'll keep you guys posted.
post #7 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 03:00 PM

Nearly 22k miles, I do not have this issue. And I have put the car in the position of severe cornering several times. Now, I do have a weird vibration in the brake pedal while trail braking into a right hand corner, but never looked into it.

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
post #8 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 05:34 PM

This happened to my other cars before, and the diagnosis was a bad shock absorber. Once changed noise gone away.
post #9 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportPremium View Post
9600 on my 18 ES and nothing like this. Squeaky power steering pump in the cold, but nothing from the suspension.
The ES has a power steering pump? I had no idea.
post #10 of 91 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toecutter View Post
The ES has a power steering pump? I had no idea.
*Motor
toecutter likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in