Radiator Fan on after car shutoff. - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Radiator Fan on after car shutoff.

ok so this happened for the first time since I bought the car back in October 2017. so after around 30mins of driving to work, shut off the car, the radiator fan boosted up and was on. it was around 12 degree Celsius this morning.

so what gives, its not like its summer now with 30+ degree outside where the engine overheat and needed to cool down after. if this continues on all summer long, it will probably kill the battery fast. anyone have had this problem?

btw I didn't pay attention to the temp gauge this morning, I assume it was in the middle.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:09 AM

Hey there! That happens pretty much anytime your car's turbo needs to cool off after spirited driving. I heard on a Focus ST forum that if you push anywhere from 10-20lbs of boost and you drive fast for more than 10 minutes, you should idle the car to let it cool down.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff_Irsay View Post
Hey there! That happens pretty much anytime your car's turbo needs to cool off after spirited driving. I heard on a Focus ST forum that if you push anywhere from 10-20lbs of boost and you drive fast for more than 10 minutes, you should idle the car to let it cool down.
understandable. but it was just my regular commute, I was in eco mode and barely anytime pass 3k rpm. the fan never came on in the afternoon when I was getting home while it was much hotter outside.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:16 AM

It's normal.

'17 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver / 14.2 @ 99 mph

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCao View Post
understandable. but it was just my regular commute, I was in eco mode and barely anytime pass 3k rpm. the fan never came on in the afternoon when I was getting home while it was much hotter outside.
When I first bought the car last year I had the same question. It's normal. After I started monitoring using Torque app, I noticed anytime my car is above 205F radiator temperature the car will have the fan on after I shutoff the engine.

Keeping everything stock for maximum warranty

Mechanical Engineer by profession, speedaholic by nature.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo_gen View Post
When I first bought the car last year I had the same question. It's normal. After I started monitoring using Torque app, I noticed anytime my car is above 205F radiator temperature the car will have the fan on after I shutoff the engine.
good to hear that, the fan didn't turn on this morning so I guess it was normal. I think lots of the stop and go slow moving traffic might have overheated the engine somehow.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCao View Post
good to hear that, the fan didn't turn on this morning so I guess it was normal. I think lots of the stop and go slow moving traffic might have overheated the engine somehow.
Exactly. Mine did it recently in California and it wasn't exactly warm. But I was going at a slow speed (~25mph) up hill in low gears so that may have warmed up the engine enough to trigger the fan after shutdown. I just stood there and waited to make sure it shut off and went about my business.

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:37 PM

My 13 TDI Jetta would do this after driving it. Itís mainly to help cool the turbo and other crap down since diesels get so hot. But Iím assuming the function is similar with these cars given the fact they are turbocharged
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Same here... I just leased my 2018 ES, DCT Premium Package. Love it! Mine did that after some "spirited" driving... Stayed on for a minute or 2 after I shut the engine off... JasonCao: Didn't even know the ES had an Eco Mode... Guess the Salesman neglected to mention that as he had me mostly in Sport Mode for the test drive...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathRay68 View Post
Same here... I just leased my 2018 ES, DCT Premium Package. Love it! Mine did that after some "spirited" driving... Stayed on for a minute or 2 after I shut the engine off... JasonCao: Didn't even know the ES had an Eco Mode... Guess the Salesman neglected to mention that as he had me mostly in Sport Mode for the test drive...
Canadian models get an Eco Mode. US models do not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page