AFE GT Momentum Unboxing and Initial Thoughts - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I know that. But the inlet to both mentioned intakes is restrained to the factory dimensions at the core support. Im wondering if this is a bottleneck or if these intakes still show roughly the same power gains as the others, but with the obvious added benefits.
I'd say the hole is large enough, only thing that might be a restriction is the "XXX" supports in the middle but I doubt it.

'17 6MT Base | SXTH Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, Strut Bar | Whiteline 24mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 | Federal 595 RS-R 255/35/18
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

The GT Momentum Intake is in place. The replacement took only about 40 min to complete, only because I was taking some photos in the meantime and I cleaned up the engine bay a little. There are really no special points of install to mention, other than ensuring that the filter's fabric joint is facing down. When I was editing the photos I noticed that the filter's connector is facing perfectly up and visible through the window. I will rotate it 180 degrees.

The shape of the AFE filter enclosure is nearly perfect. Only one of the bolt attachment points is slightly off (see photo), but due to the flex in the rubber mounting bumpers (you transfer them from the factory air box enclosure) it still reaches the threaded mounting hole. One of the bolts is installed inside the enclosure. A small ratchet with long 10mm socket is required. Doing this with an open box spanner is little difficult.

The intake is in essence as quiet as the OE design. Only in the ECO mode, speeds below 30km/h, windows up, sunroof closed and the climate control off one can hear very slight noise of the BOV recirculation. And you really have to listen for it. Difference is negligble and I like it quiet. I did not want a noisy intake. In terms of components' temperature, after about 20 minutes of hard driving, with engine bay definitely warm, the intake box and the intake pipe were nice and cool to touch. The intake does indeed work well in terms of providing ambient temperature air to the engine.

In terms of driving, in the ECO mode there really seems to be no difference in how the car feels. I could not really tell any and perhaps that is why the ECO mode is there in the first place. Easy driving, early gear changes, very little boost and low fuel consumption

Normal - definitely reduced lag when starting to move from a full stop. The intake also seems to remove flat spots from the power band and feels much more elastic. The engine is eager to rev. It is nice.

Sport - well, the initial lag is virtually gone. The engine is definitely increasing it's RPM faster and feels to pull stronger. Torque steer is increased with the traction control off. Too bad I did not have access to a dyno to perform some proper before-and-after pulls. I am not sure what the actual gains are, perhaps not so much in the top end, but there are definite improvements in the low and mid-ranges. I like this 'god mode' LOL.

Overall I am very happy with this intake and if you have some money to spend it is worth it. And it does look good with the Veloster engine cover. Too bad some sort of certificate is not provided from Hyundai Motors TUIX division as I will have to remove the intake each time I take the car to the dealership for service. I would be then able to prove that this upgrade is indeed sanctioned and approved by Hyundai Motors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT01.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	16153   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT02.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	16155   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT03.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	16157   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT04.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	16159   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT06.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	16161  

XSOCRUZ likes this.

Last edited by GsiTurbo; 04-08-2019 at 09:48 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:48 AM

Garage
Nice one.

FEB 2K17 Hyundai Elantra SR Turbo 6MT (Australia)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsiTurbo View Post
And it does look good with the Veloster engine cover.
Just for clarification on this, it started out as the Veloster engine cover but then quickly became the "updated 1.6L" engine cover. It is used on the slightly updated version of the 1.6 that both Hyundai and Kia are using. It can be found in the new Veloster, the Forte GT and the Soul. Changes that we know of are an increased compression ratio to 10:1 and an electronic wastegate.

'17 6MT Base | SXTH Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, Strut Bar | Whiteline 24mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 | Federal 595 RS-R 255/35/18
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Great to hear that it sounds the same. That's been the question I've been dying to know the answer to, I'm in the same boat of wanting the extra power without having to listen to it.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 04:45 PM

TUIX has discontinued inventory of this model (my korean friend helped me order and they refunded her card after a month) and aFE USA only has the newer version that's sealed without the window. Anyone have a source in Korea to get this still?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Tuonmall (Kia equivalent of Tuix) shows stock for K3 GT (Forte GT). Grab it while you can http://tuonmall.com/product/view.do?pid=14958&pcid=3507

PS: nevermind, its sold out unfortunately. I would wait patiently, it was shown as sold out last year when I was shopping for one - the intake was available again some time later.
Another place to check every now and then: http://item.gmarket.co.kr/Item?goodsCode=1537477709

Last edited by GsiTurbo; 03-05-2020 at 12:17 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPD View Post
TUIX has discontinued inventory of this model (my korean friend helped me order and they refunded her card after a month) and aFE USA only has the newer version that's sealed without the window. Anyone have a source in Korea to get this still?
This one with no window? It feels like an upgrade that you can view the air filter when the hood is up and it seals against the hood when itís closed.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2020, 10:01 AM

I have the AFE Takeda stage 2 intake that seals to the hood. I absolutely love it. I paid $329 for it about a year ago. It's paired with the Velossa Tech scoop as mentioned earlier in the thread. I get a tiny bit of BOV noise in both Normal and Sport (no eco on US models). The BOV is louder in Sport but not ridiculous. My wife totally approves and she is picky about upgrades and more noise. Someone mentioned it can't seal perfectly and I agree. I cut out the harder foam our hood is lined with in the shape of the box (after a couple weeks the box had pushed into the foam and gave me lines to cut with), purchased some D-shaped 3M rubber seal, and ran that around the edge of the hole I cut in the foam on the hood and now it seals really well. I was getting some odd high-pitched air noises but they went away after I did the mod to the foam.

For those out there, the Momentum intake from AFE is now on their website, but it doesn't have the window.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page