AFE GT Momentum Unboxing and Initial Thoughts - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

AFE GT Momentum Unboxing and Initial Thoughts

I was really sold on this intake since the first photos of it appeared on this forum not so long ago. In my opinion, this is by far the nicest one I have seen, ever :-) Getting it seemed impossible. As AFE Power has contract to supply this part to Hyundai Motors Korea only, it is not possible to purchase outside of South Korea. The fact that stock is limited and only Korean credit cards are accepted very much rule out remote purchase.

The intake, p/n: M6281-AB000 fits following vehicles:
- Elantra Sport GT N-Line / i30
- Veloster JS
- Avante Sport / Elantra Sport
- Kia Forte K3 GT

The intake is available via TUIX mall: ????? and via TUON mall (for Kia) ???? Some info (older) on what is TUIX and TUON: https://thekoreancarblog.com/2014/05...e-parts-shopl/
You will need local person to make a purchase for you.

The box arrived today, I have asked to have it repacked into a smaller box to save a little in shipping and to prevent 'curious eyes' from checking the rather attractive box. The kit consists of:
- installation manual (in English and Korean - well written)
- air filter enclosure
- air filter element Pro-Guard7 oiled air filter — maximum protection https://afepower.com/air-filter-media
- the intake pipe
- silicone coupler
- fittings/clamps
- AFE licence plate + stickers
- Air filter cleaning/re-oiling kit p/n: 90-50500

The build quality is fantastic. Nice mould, good finish. Nothing really to pick about. Maybe the lack of perhaps a stainless or aluminium frame around the window, but this is just me.. The window itself is great, allows to see if the filter needs cleaning or not just yet...

The installation manual is very detailed, it would be hard to do something wrong - well done!

I will go ahead with the installation this coming weekend. We still have snow in the forecast for the next couple of days and I am still on my winter tires - warm weather is to start on Thursday - I think that is when I will swap the wheels. I would like to drive the car on 18s for a day at least to get a feeling of before-and-after.

To be continued....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_Momentum02.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	16031   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_Momentum01.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	16033   Click image for larger version

Name:	GT_Momentum03.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	16035  
XSOCRUZ and mightar like this.

Last edited by GsiTurbo; 04-01-2019 at 11:35 PM.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:21 AM

Just wow....

How much won did it cost?

Mods: Bridgestone Potenza RE003 tyres, de-badged, grounding kit, Pioneer under seat sub, custom 3.5" Intake w/ AEM Dry Flow pod filter, MAC EBCS, 2.5" mandrel bent straight pipe from CAT, Magnaflow muffler, HKS M40XL plugs, Tork Stage 0+ Tune. 152KW 380NM ATW
To Come:Aeroflow FMIC, Stage 1 Tune
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Looks like a nice piece! I wonder how quiet it's going to be!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:42 AM

Garage
Very nice!

FEB 2K17 Hyundai Elantra SR Turbo 6MT (Australia)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandufunk View Post
Just wow....

How much won did it cost?
It was 510000 KRW (about US $448) + US $72 shipping.
http://www.tuonmall.com/product/view.do?pid=14958
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:48 PM

Looks very well made. I love that it is totally encapsulated. I hate intakes with the sheild that "seals" against the hood. Underhood heat can easily leak into the filter area.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Looks very well made. I love that it is totally encapsulated. I hate intakes with the sheild that "seals" against the hood. Underhood heat can easily leak into the filter area.
What you need is a sealed box that connects to the factory snorkel hole on the radiator support (such as this one or SXTH's new box coming soon), and follow that up with a Velossa Tech big mouth intake tube. After a 30 mile highway drive with temps in the 50's and the big mouth tube on my car, I popped the hood when I got home and the stock intake box and tube (I'm waiting for the SXTH box to come out) were cold to the touch.

'17 6MT Base | SXTH Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, Strut Bar | Whiteline 24mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 | Federal 595 RS-R 255/35/18
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
Quote:
What you need is a sealed box that connects to the factory snorkel hole on the radiator support (such as this one or SXTH's new box coming soon), and follow that up with a Velossa Tech big mouth intake tube. After a 30 mile highway drive with temps in the 50's and the big mouth tube on my car, I popped the hood when I got home and the stock intake box and tube (I'm waiting for the SXTH box to come out) were cold to the touch.
i completely agree. The only thing im wondering is, will the dimensions of the factory snorkel (without the big mouth) be a bottleneck and not allow the intake to make any more power than a stock box and high flow panel filter?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
i completely agree. The only thing im wondering is, will the dimensions of the factory snorkel (without the big mouth) be a bottleneck and not allow the intake to make any more power than a stock box and high flow panel filter?
With both this AFE intake and the SXTH box, the stock snorkel is removed.

'17 6MT Base | SXTH Tuned | Autocrosser / Canyon Carver

B&M SS w/SXTH Bushings | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2 | SXTH Intake, Dual OCC, FMIC
Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, Strut Bar | Whiteline 24mm RR Sway | WL/SP CA Bushings
Enkei TS-10 18x8.5 +50 | Federal 595 RS-R 255/35/18
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:01 PM

I know that. But the inlet to both mentioned intakes is restrained to the factory dimensions at the core support. Im wondering if this is a bottleneck or if these intakes still show roughly the same power gains as the others, but with the obvious added benefits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page