My Autocross experience so far with the ES - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

My Autocross experience so far with the ES

Warning: LONG post!

Thought I would post this up here to share some of my thoughts on my experience so far with with autocrossing the Elantra Sport. I do have experience with autocross in the past with multiple vehicles (Miata, Sentra mainly) and have only run two events to far in the ES. For reference, the car has the following modifications that are relevant to this review:

• Yellowspeed Racing Coilovers (7k front / 5k rear - shocks adjusted to 28 clicks all around)
  • SXTH Element 22mm rear sway bar
  • Pierce Motorsports 4-point tie-bar
  • Pierce Motorsports stainless brake lines
  • KDM Tuners slotted rotors
  • Porterfield R4S brake pads
  • XXR 527 18x8 +45 (custom offset)
  • Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 235/40/18
First things first, not having a limited slip differential is very noticeable and sometimes a bit frustrating depending on the size and tightness of the course. In the first video below the course was a bit tight so there were several instances of one tire spinning on exit. In the second video it was a much faster course with only a couple places where it was a problem. Pierce Motorsports does offer a LSD made by Cusco for around $1,400. If that is something you have the means to purchase I would highly recommend it if you are planning on doing any sort of autocrossing. I also do a bit of canyon carving and it is not noticeable there. Unknown how much it costs to install it but I am sure it's not cheap. Worth it in the end but an expensive proposition for sure. You also risk voiding the warranty on the transmission so keep that in mind.

The tires are great, I have absolutely no complaints about them. When I bought them I was looking for something that would provide a good amount of grip without wearing down too quickly. I know those are counter productive to each other but some middle ground was preferred and the treadwear rating of 340 is perfect. They are actually a re-branded Bridgestone RE-003 and are available for a very reasonable price. I paid $125 each for 235's. Great amount of grip, very little noise on the limit and super predictable.

The coilovers have been pretty good since a couple issues were worked out. Their base system was too low for my tastes so I requested some changes and they made it happen. Props to Donald at YSR USA for the excellent service. The first event I ran them at 26 of 33 on all four corners, then went up to 28 for the last event. They do get pretty stuff at those levels so I would not recommend that for daily usage. (I run them at 21 daily) At the current ride height I have issues with rubbing in the front during hard cornering or when hitting sudden bumps (bridge transitions, etc) So I have talked to Donald and will have some 8k/7k spring on the way shortly. Doing so I may not have to rely on the stiff shock settings as much and hopefully minimize the rubbing, which does come into play during autocrossing. They've performed well in competition. Looking forward to getting the stiffer springs.

For the sway bar, highly recommended. In fact, one of the first modifications you should do to the car. There are 19mm bars out there that will basically do the same thing, but I think the 22mm bar suits the car better. I have not had any instances where the rear stepped out too much and it rotates quite nicely. Some lift off oversteer can be induced at the limit and it is very controllable.

All told, with the tie bar, coilover settings, rear sway and tires the car is very quick and predictable while dodging cones. Left to right transitions are instantaneous and it's very easy to quickly point the car in the direction you need it to go. I've had a few time where I was sure I was going to hit a cone and with some trick braking and steering work I was able to avoid them. I feel the multi-link rear suspension plays into this a bit. The car is very capable and could surprise some people. During the last event I was setting fast times and not only was the announcer telling people they should buy a Hyundai if they want to go fast, but a few people actually came up to me that were more than impressed and asked about the car.

Install a LSD and put some semi-slicks on it and you could be a real terror out there...

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40

Last edited by R1600Turbo; 12-09-2018 at 12:59 AM.
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:00 AM

👍👍
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared#87 View Post
👍👍
I'm going to guess these are emoji's which don't appear on the desktop version of this site.

YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:00 PM

An LSD would make this car drive at the limit sooo much better. I’ve been thinking about getting the rear sway bar for a while now.... I might have to just pull the trigger on that one
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:21 PM

Yes they are! two thumbs up!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsonvin View Post
An LSD would make this car drive at the limit sooo much better. Iíve been thinking about getting the rear sway bar for a while now.... I might have to just pull the trigger on that one
Do it.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:09 PM

Garage
I peeked at the results. Nice job. I'm hoping to try an event in HS--also using the Indy500s.

I have not been out to an event in 2 years--my kids have lots of weekend obligations in sports. Generally I have a full-prep FSP car to use, but on an open course the ES could do pretty well, with just tires and a RSB, and testing that theory would be fun.

Erik B.
Wisconsin Autocrossers _/\_ _/\_ _/\__/\__/\_
SCCA PDX Instructor--MKE Region
Milwaukee, USA
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by echobravo View Post
I peeked at the results. Nice job. I'm hoping to try an event in HS--also using the Indy500s.

I have not been out to an event in 2 years--my kids have lots of weekend obligations in sports. Generally I have a full-prep FSP car to use, but on an open course the ES could do pretty well, with just tires and a RSB, and testing that theory would be fun.
I wasn't sure where to put the car and after a chat with a friend who has a few national championships under his belt we decided STH was best. Hopefully the car is legal with the mods it has lol. The tires are great for the price, will be purchasing another set in 245 this time.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
I wasn't sure where to put the car and after a chat with a friend who has a few national championships under his belt we decided STH was best. Hopefully the car is legal with the mods it has lol. The tires are great for the price, will be purchasing another set in 245 this time.
You could run STX as well--I think that is the more "natural" fit for the car--if you look at the "catch all" section of the allowed cars. STX is for sedans/coupes with forced-induction under 2 litres.

I have 225 Indy500s on 7.5 Veloster wheels--the tires seem to run narrow for the size, so I agree that the 245s would be good. I'd consider 235/40s myself next time.

That said--if you get "serious" about this, you'll want to step up to Rivals/RS4/RE71 etc---on 9's. It will be a noticeable jump over the Indys....at the expense of wear. You are probably leaving a second on course with the Indys (on a 60ish second course). Look at the PAX results--if you can get within 2 seconds of the top guys on PAX (again on a 60 second course) you'll be in some very good company.

Erik B.
Wisconsin Autocrossers _/\_ _/\_ _/\__/\__/\_
SCCA PDX Instructor--MKE Region
Milwaukee, USA

Last edited by echobravo; 12-10-2018 at 08:12 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by echobravo View Post
You could run STX as well--I think that is the more "natural" fit for the car--if you look at the "catch all" section of the allowed cars. STX is for sedans/coupes with forced-induction under 2 litres.

I have 225 Indy500s on 7.5 Veloster wheels--the tires seem to run narrow for the size, so I agree that the 245s would be good. I'd consider 235/40s myself next time.

That said--if you get "serious" about this, you'll want to step up to Rivals/RS4/RE71 etc---on 9's. It will be a noticeable jump over the Indys....at the expense of wear. You are probably leaving a second on course with the Indys (on a 60ish second course). Look at the PAX results--if you can get within 2 seconds of the top guys on PAX (again on a 60 second course) you'll be in some very good company.
My problem is that I am on a single set of wheels and I chose the Indy's because I wanted grip but also tire life as I daily on them. In the long term a second set of wheels would be nice but out of the budget currently. Depending on how things go I might step up to a 200 treadwear tire, most likely the Nexen SUR4G but stay 235/40.

A quick read on the Street Touring rules automatically hits a snag for me, rear spoilers only allowed if they are available from Hyundai in the US. I do have an OEM replica spoiler but I believe they are only sold as a factory accessory in Canada. I also have a 2nd cat delete. Might be able to get away with the spoiler but not sure about the missing catalytic converter. All else matches up perfectly. But now I wonder about the differences between STX and STH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page