Perth SR Owners - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Perth SR Owners

Roll call!
XSOCRUZ and Purplehazeffc like this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:59 AM

Just seen this post.. I'm a i30 SR owner since early may..
Have done a couple of mods since then..
birdman likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplehazeffc View Post
Just seen this post.. I'm a i30 SR owner since early may..
Have done a couple of mods since then..
I'm looking at having the stock second cat and resonator cut out and replaced with straight pipe, the shops pretty good and will put flanges on the pipe they remove and new pipe so they can be swapped as needed, I'm hoping it liberates a couple of HP and some extra noise, I feel that keeping the stock muffler will be good for the wife barely noticing.

Definitely keen on the tune at some stage, whether thats sooner or later remains to be seen, I guess the best way would be after I've done the bolt on/physical mods I want to do.

IRD seems like a no brainer for the price, and I think the shifter bushings (both ends) and new (possibly weighted) knob will be on the cards too.

So far I've been mostly cosmetic too, black eyelids and mirror caps, debadge, tint... will be dipping my wheels very soon as well as a few other bits maybe at the same time.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
I'm looking at having the stock second cat and resonator cut out and replaced with straight pipe, the shops pretty good and will put flanges on the pipe they remove and new pipe so they can be swapped as needed, I'm hoping it liberates a couple of HP and some extra noise, I feel that keeping the stock muffler will be good for the wife barely noticing.

Definitely keen on the tune at some stage, whether thats sooner or later remains to be seen, I guess the best way would be after I've done the bolt on/physical mods I want to do.

IRD seems like a no brainer for the price, and I think the shifter bushings (both ends) and new (possibly weighted) knob will be on the cards too.

So far I've been mostly cosmetic too, black eyelids and mirror caps, debadge, tint... will be dipping my wheels very soon as well as a few other bits maybe at the same time.
Iv'e had the rear muffler replaced on mine with dual 2 1/2 SS Resonators. Leaving the centre resonator in place. My exhaust installer mentioned that the factory resonator is pretty good & there won't be any gains from either replacing or removing. So I have left it in place. With that done on mine it is loud enough. Sometimes to loud lol. But with the i30 SR having the dual exhausts, It's had to find a muffler that will fit, keeping it at dual exhaust. Here is a sound clip of what mine sounds like. This was taken the day of getting it done.

You can also hear in the video the intake noise. Iv'e got a 3" Torcon intake pipe with a K&N pod filter. https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/...?topic=49884.0

Only outside stuff I've done is window tint, 20% front & 35% rear. And painted the Hyundai badges black.
I'm also in the middle of a stereo upgrade. So far I have the amps & cabling installed. Just now need to do the front speakers & speaker cables to & from the amps..

Plans?? If anything next I would like a tune. Mainly to get rid of the factory limiting of the torque band. A bit more power won't hurt either..
But as my car is just about to reach 9000ks. Warranty is something I'm thinking about. Hence why I think something that can go from a std tune to a power tune & back again to a std tune for servicing.
I have read that the 2nd cat is quite restrictive. But how will that go with being legal?? The ECU throwing fault codes & Hyundai warranty. Thinking warranty not so much as it should be o different to any other exhaust mod done.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Iv'e had the rear muffler replaced on mine with dual 2 1/2 SS Resonators. Leaving the centre resonator in place. My exhaust installer mentioned that the factory resonator is pretty good & there won't be any gains from either replacing or removing. So I have left it in place. With that done on mine it is loud enough. Sometimes to loud lol. But with the i30 SR having the dual exhausts, It's had to find a muffler that will fit, keeping it at dual exhaust. Here is a sound clip of what mine sounds like. This was taken the day of getting it done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9Id...ature=youtu.be

You can also hear in the video the intake noise. Iv'e got a 3" Torcon intake pipe with a K&N pod filter. https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/...?topic=49884.0

Only outside stuff I've done is window tint, 20% front & 35% rear. And painted the Hyundai badges black.
I'm also in the middle of a stereo upgrade. So far I have the amps & cabling installed. Just now need to do the front speakers & speaker cables to & from the amps..

Plans?? If anything next I would like a tune. Mainly to get rid of the factory limiting of the torque band. A bit more power won't hurt either..
But as my car is just about to reach 9000ks. Warranty is something I'm thinking about. Hence why I think something that can go from a std tune to a power tune & back again to a std tune for servicing.
I have read that the 2nd cat is quite restrictive. But how will that go with being legal?? The ECU throwing fault codes & Hyundai warranty. Thinking warranty not so much as it should be o different to any other exhaust mod done.
Sounds really good, I would only be taking the resonator out for noise and he may as well delete the second cat while he's in there. I really doubt the second cat will be the cause of any codes, but if you have it cut out for straight pipe just have them put flanges on it so it can be reinstalled if ever necessary.

Nice I did a bit of a stereo upgrade too, but just in the way of replacing all the stock speakers with decent ones and installed a self contained slim sub/amp combo, definitely not the best car stero I've ever had but it's miles better than stock which was already decent.

I'm almost at 21,000k's, had it since last February and warranty is definitely in my mind too, as it's the family hauler now. Personally I like the idea of ordering like a LAP3 ECU that's tuned ready to go, just a plug and play swap really so to revert is easy as.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:45 PM

I find that the stock stereo is a little disappointing. Mainly the volume difference between say DAB radio & FM radio quite large. Also with Bluetooth & USB.
Stock speakers are always not the best in new cars. Plus it can be quite easy & inexpensive to do.

I contacted Racechip in Germany. They don't have one ATM for the 1.6t. But did mention that they will be working on one.
As they already do one for the 1.4t they get in the European versions. I quite like theirs. As you can go between different modes via an App on your phone via Bluetooth.
The LAP# ECU also sounds good, as does the Tork version. But still to change between tunes, you either have to change out the ECU or plug in a laptop & upload it.
This is the product for the 1.4t. And priced pretty good as well..
https://www.racechip.com/shop/hyunda...3kw-242nm.html
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is the product for the 1.4t. And priced pretty good as well..
https://www.racechip.com/shop/hyunda...3kw-242nm.html
Definitely priced well for what you get, they don't list the AD Elantra at all, I wonder if the ECU's are by and large the same?

I'm keen to read some review of theirs and see if the claims are true.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM

From what I have seen on YouTube & have read. Racechip are very well regarded.
They do upgrades on Porsche, BMW, AMG, McLaren. etc.

From around 4:45 he talks more about the unit on how it works.

Also after around the 5 min mark the difference between stock & Racechip:

I would say the 1.6t-GDi would be exactly the same in the i30 SR & the Elantra SR
I think the options from all the others are good as well. But I do like the Bluetooth connections to change between tunes..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm keen man when they come up with a tune, that price is very appealing. I watched a video of a guy putting one on a Merc C180, did some before and afters and no doubt it pulled harder.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Hey.. Racechip has a video on YouTube about the Hyundai i30N.

So I asked a question if one is going to be available for the Hyundai 1.6lt Turbo..

They replied back today that they are currently working on one. And should be available in around 6 weeks time..

Hopefully some nice gains

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page