ES DCT with Tech vs. VW GLI - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjp1 View Post
I'm not, see post 3. My ES has been (mostly) faultless.



For me the window to look at other things is open because of what was designed into our cars and what wasn't, and its been this way since buying the car - mainly 1.6T instead of 2.0T, no limited slip diff, road and wind noise. But everyone has different priorities. The GLI is more expensive regardless of which country and versions.
I have to think the higher trim will be available in Canada at some point. It would be crazy to offer just the base trim.

I disagree about VW reliability. It's gotten a lot better over the last several years and VW now offers a great warranty. Better than Hyundai I might add for the New Vehicle warranty. I owned a 17 GTI for 12k miles and had ZERO issues. Not that it's a lot of miles, but it's the first car that never went to the dealer for even little things from day 1.

The GLI is very nice. It also has a lot of options that you seek. I think you're already sold haha! It will be quite a bit more money though. Are those options you desire worth the extra coin?

Can't lose with either vehicle in my mind.
Sport is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 37
i personally think the GLI is ugly, and that is saying alot because i bought a '19 ES! It was on my radar before getting the ES but it was $7k more than the ES (manual, only base trim available, Canada) and IMO not worth it. If you break it down on paper the VW is a better car but also IMO it doesn't compare to the ES even with the tech package. I would buy a GTI hands down over the bloated looking GLI.
I can't imagine the VW being cheaper to maintain either, especially if you used the dealer. An oil change/ basic service on a 17 Jetta 1.4tsi that a friend owns is $120.....my 3.3 Santa Fe is $80 and the ES will be less. At the end of the day my needs were an affordable and reliable commuter that can also provide some fun at a given moment. Looking at Manual vehicles there weren't a ton of options and my ES ended up being the cheapest and what i would consider the "best value" because any cons about it or any "missing" features weren't outweighed by the pros and extra features of anything more expensive. I have no regrets so far!

'19 ES Base. Lava Orange 6mt
'17 Santa Fe XL Luxury
slowstig is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowstig View Post
i personally think the GLI is ugly, and that is saying alot because i bought a '19 ES! It was on my radar before getting the ES but it was $7k more than the ES (manual, only base trim available, Canada) and IMO not worth it. If you break it down on paper the VW is a better car but also IMO it doesn't compare to the ES even with the tech package. I would buy a GTI hands down over the bloated looking GLI.
I can't imagine the VW being cheaper to maintain either, especially if you used the dealer. An oil change/ basic service on a 17 Jetta 1.4tsi that a friend owns is $120.....my 3.3 Santa Fe is $80 and the ES will be less. At the end of the day my needs were an affordable and reliable commuter that can also provide some fun at a given moment. Looking at Manual vehicles there weren't a ton of options and my ES ended up being the cheapest and what i would consider the "best value" because any cons about it or any "missing" features weren't outweighed by the pros and extra features of anything more expensive. I have no regrets so far!

Thanks!



Re: the oil change, yes to be specific about cost, I just paid $ 81.71 including tax at a dealer for Hyundai's synthetic oil and filter change.



True about VW costs. Many years ago I was paying $ 115- at a dealer for them to plug in the VAG and see what the error code on the dash meant regarding an electrical fault. I'll always remember that this fee wasn't waived or used to reduce the cost when they fixed the problem found. I don't know what Hyundai dealers in Canada would charge for the same kind of thing.



Mind you, my wife paid an excessive amount for rear brake pads and rotors changes on her Elantra GT along with caliper service front and rear - $ 624-, after the price was reduced $ 100- because I complained..... It was due to corrosion, not wear. There is "no free lunch" at Hyundai.
dougjp1 is offline  
 
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Member
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjp1 View Post

True about VW costs. Many years ago I was paying $ 115- at a dealer for them to plug in the VAG and see what the error code on the dash meant regarding an electrical fault. I'll always remember that this fee wasn't waived or used to reduce the cost when they fixed the problem found. I don't know what Hyundai dealers in Canada would charge for the same kind of thing.


Why is this such a common misconception? You didnt pay for someone to read a code. You paid labor for someone to diagnose an issue your car had. The code scan is only the first step. Why would that be waived? Did suddenly that time and knowledge spent disappear just because you approved a repair?
Webster likes this.
lurker is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 AM
Senior Member
 
Feared#87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjp1 View Post

True about VW costs. Many years ago I was paying $ 115- at a dealer for them to plug in the VAG and see what the error code on the dash meant regarding an electrical fault. I'll always remember that this fee wasn't waived or used to reduce the cost when they fixed the problem found. I don't know what Hyundai dealers in Canada would charge for the same kind of thing.


Why is this such a common misconception? You didnt pay for someone to read a code. You paid labor for someone to diagnose an issue your car had. The code scan is only the first step. Why would that be waived? Did suddenly that time and knowledge spent disappear just because you approved a repair?
I agree! People don't understand that technicians get paid by the work not by hour!
Feared#87 is online now  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
n0thing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 184
Garage
The ES is the bang for your buck version of the GLI. If you're on a budget, it's a great car. If the budget allows more, the GLI is a ridiculous amount of car for the money as well. It has all the good bits of a GTI (and the brakes from a Golf R) at a price cheaper than a GTI. The room inside makes it a more family friendly car than the GTI as well.

You can't go wrong with either car. Both are fantastic.

Ceramic White 2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport 6MT
n0thing is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2017 Sport Tech DCT - Still on the lot (Atlantic Canada) FrozenInferno Hyundai Elantra Sport Dealers, Orders and Pricing 21 05-10-2018 04:09 PM
desko ES Sport Tech M6 iron gray desko Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Pictures and Videos 1 05-03-2018 08:08 PM
White manual w/ tech package ooharloo Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Owners Registry And Check In Area 5 08-28-2017 01:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome