ES DCT with Tech vs. VW GLI - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

ES DCT with Tech vs. VW GLI

I have to admit being interested in changing to a GLI (pre test drive) because of the 2.0 turbo torque, limited slip diff and the main thing being able to choose ride and handling via the GLI DCC (because our roads won't get better). An additional benefit to that with the GLI is the 45 aspect ratio tires, like the Aussies get with our car. In terms of loaded automatic compacts with decent performance and luxury options, that look good at a mainstream car price, these two are the only ones IMHO.

Getting into details, I find the GLI is somewhat 'decontented' making a decision difficult. There is no heated steering wheel, no Homelink, no proximity sensors (that has saved me $$ with the ES..lol) and no 'active' rear backup camera. The GLI has what I call the dreaded Start/Stop that can't be permanently disabled - have to turn it off every time the car is started. The GLI does have lots of sundry stuff like interior ambient lighting and power driver seat with lumbar and memory and ventilation in addition to heat. I think the GLI exterior looks a bit worse than my 2017 ES, but better than the 2019. To me the GLI interior isn't better than our cars. The GLI Beats audio vs. our Infinity system - probably close? Same 8" touchscreen size. And of course the GLI costs more.

What do you think?
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Wait just a bit longer and seriously consider looking at the 2020 Kia Forte GT.

As a former VW owner, I won't ever own one again.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
Wait just a bit longer and seriously consider looking at the 2020 Kia Forte GT.

As a former VW owner, I won't ever own one again.

I hear you, I'm also a previous owner (2006 Jetta 2.0T). Some good memories, and then there's one word - "Bosch"

Also I agree the 2020 Kia Forte GT got the styling right, but I still like the look of ours a bit better, especially the wheels. Also isn't the Forte GT just a clone of ours, nothing different of consequence?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjp1 View Post
Also isn't the Forte GT just a clone of ours, nothing different of consequence?
Updated version of the 1.6 (higher compression, electronic wastegate), quicker steering ratio, re-tuned suspension. And IMO, way better interior.
GsiTurbo likes this.

YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:50 PM

Curious, in Canada what is the price difference between a loaded Elantra Sport and the GLI with DCC? Realistic cost for going in and negotiating with a dealer. I'd say a guestimate of course. Not MSRP. Does the Canadian S GLI trim come with DCC?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
Curious, in Canada what is the price difference between a loaded Elantra Sport and the GLI with DCC? Realistic cost for going in and negotiating with a dealer. I'd say a guestimate of course. Not MSRP. Does the Canadian S GLI trim come with DCC?

I don't know about the 2018 Sport if any are in dealers' stock, and the 2019 version isn't even available here yet/not on Canadian dealer build and price. Also unlike in the US, the GLI here only comes in 2 versions, 35th Anniversary and normal, both fully loaded. Then there's our weak dollar, it costs us $ 1.345 mid rate to buy a US dollar. Too many variables.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjp1 View Post
I don't know about the 2018 Sport if any are in dealers' stock, and the 2019 version isn't even available here yet/not on Canadian dealer build and price. Also unlike in the US, the GLI here only comes in 2 versions, 35th Anniversary and normal, both fully loaded. Then there's our weak dollar, it costs us $ 1.345 mid rate to buy a US dollar. Too many variables.

I just noticed the 2019 ES build and price IS now on the Hyundai Canada site. They seem to have deleted the tech option, so the car can't really be compared to the GLI, at least not here in Canada.

Missing:
- Infinity audio system, just 6 speakers and a basic AM/FM/MP3
- The screen is only 7"
- Navigation
- Auto dimming mirror with Homelink and compass

- Rear park assist

- Dual zone automatic climate control

- Drive select with the DCT

In Canada the GLI is cheaper than the VW GTI Rabbit, which is cheaper than the GTI Autobahn, which is cheaper than the Golf R. If any of that can give you an idea what the US comparison might be to the pricing of the ES?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:21 AM

You're also forgetting reliability! Hands down the ES!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared#87 View Post

I'm not, see post 3. My ES has been (mostly) faultless.

For me the window to look at other things is open because of what was designed into our cars and what wasn't, and its been this way since buying the car - mainly 1.6T instead of 2.0T, no limited slip diff, road and wind noise. But everyone has different priorities. The GLI is more expensive regardless of which country and versions.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feared#87 View Post
I will turn over 50k miles sometime this week (maybe tonight if I go to Tuscon for some touge action) and the car has only been to the dealer once for warranty work. And it was to replace a cooling fan that would squeak when it spun to a stop after shutting the car off. Still worked fine, just noisy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page