Elantra Sport Forum banner

Winter Rim and Tires

49K views 91 replies 32 participants last post by  Joshrobi33 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm Mone from Toronto, and just joined this Forum. I've bought (but not yet received) a White 2017 Sport. I originally was going to buy a regular Elantra, and ended up getting a free car (more like a beater), and then found out that a Sport would be available at some point. I'm now (soon to be), a new owner. And very excited.

Because I'm a resident of Toronto, we get winter weather, and I am researching a winter tire and steel rim combination. I'm not sure what is available? I know there are some concerns, with front wheel caliper size, and perhaps some other things...

I was hoping other members could suggest or share what they have come up with in this area. I'm looking for (if it works), a 16 in steel rim, and a tire, that is the same overall size as the stock 18 in rim and tire. Also, if nessassary to get the tire sensors.

Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
The spare is a 16" wheel.

A 6.5" wide wheel with an offset around 30 will sit about the same outer position as the stock wheels. A 7" wide wheel with a 40mm offset will sit about the same as the stock wheels.

#4 ·
Tires.

The front rotors are to large for 16" wheels. The 17" that come on the higher end regular Elantras will fit for the stud pattern and are large enough on their inside diameter to calipers. Any winter wheel and tire combo that you would run on a Elantra limited should work fine on the Sport. There is a tire comparison chart online to verify the outside tire diameter. I may be selling my truck and if I do I will be buying winter tires and wheels for the ES. Look at Canadian Tire for there selection and some idea of price. I am in NB Canada so I am looking at some snow as well. lol.

#5 · (Edited)
The front rotors are to large for 16" wheels. The 17" that come on the higher end regular Elantras will fit for the stud pattern and are large enough on their inside diameter to calipers. Any winter wheel and tire combo that you would run on a Elantra limited should work fine on the Sport. There is a tire comparison chart online to verify the outside tire diameter. I may be selling my truck and if I do I will be buying winter tires and wheels for the ES. Look at Canadian Tire for there selection and some idea of price. I am in NB Canada so I am looking at some snow as well. lol.
The SPARE is a 16. (125/80-16) A 16 therefore will fit...to further confirm my suspicions, I test-fit my 16x8 ET50 FD RX7 wheels. No Problem. The clearance between the wheel and caliper was about 1/2"--meaning *maybe* certain 15" wheels might just fit as well.

Reactions: Racer1ab
#7 ·
Price wise, I've never found any off season deals. I think the best time to start comparison shopping is when Canadian Tire starts doing their "buy 3 tires, get the 4th tire free" sales on pure winter tires. That's the point in time when they and all the retailers have received their pile of winters.

By the way, Tire Rack is showing 15" wheel and tire packages for our car, including steelies plus other rims. They generally won't show a size that doesn't fit.

#8 · (Edited)
There's a seller on eBay that lists 16" Elantra SE takeoff rims with TPMS installed for under $300 shipped. It's an awesome deal for snow set wheels. I'm not sure how many they have left but that's worth looking into.

My set isn't in the most amazing of shape (they have some scratches from storage) but for the money I don't care. I'd much rather have these over steelies and OEM tire pressure sensors FTW!

#10 ·
Hi All,

Thank you for replying to this thread. It was very helpful. There is also another thread about winter tires and rims. I will go with a set of 16" since it seems that 16's will be no problem. Also, Canadian Tire may be a good resource. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your input.

I just got my Elantra Sport, and I have to admit, Hyundai has come a long way from the Pony and Stellar. I am very impressed with the car, and also my buying experience.

PS. And this forum/community has been helpful, of course!

#15 ·
16's should fit according to Hyundai

This is right from Hyundai's Build and Price section under accessories:

"Steel Wheel (6.5Jx16)"
"Mount your winter tires on a set of Hyundai steel wheels and spare your alloy wheels from the corrosion caused by salt and slush."

I get my car next weekend and I'm going to try some 16" Alloy's that I bought for my wife's 2014 Elantra GT.

Course, no one at the dealership where I bought my car could either confirm or deny if 16's would fit.

#16 ·
Hi Inlovewithsue,

It would be great if you could confirm this! I and I'm sure a whole other bunch of people are curious to confirm if this will fit. Let me know how it all makes out (especially the front!). Thanks!

#17 ·
Just tried putting my 16" Winter rims from my Elantra GT onto the ES. There is about 1/8" of clearance between the inside edge of the rim and the Caliper on the fronts. That's way too close for my liking. The wheel moved freely, but the rim and caliper were almost touching. I'm not sure how much clearance there needs to be, but that looked awfully close.

I think I'm just going to get another set of 17" rims for my winters - the tires are only about $50CDN more than the same 16" - and I'll feel a lot better knowing there is more room in there.

We get a lot of snow and ice buildup here.

#19 ·
Thanks for the specific info. Your alloys would have much more inside "depth" than steelies, and it would depend on your wheel design too. What you found would be a real problem in some conditions!

I wonder if we could get feedback from someone who tries 16" steelies, to see if this lack of clearance is also a problem with them?

#18 ·
Hi Inlovewithsue,

Thank you for your feedback. That's a great point. The snow and ice build up on the inner rim. Did you take a pic of how close the caliper was to the inner rim?

#21 ·
Sorry, should have taken a pic. I'll maybe put one on again just so I can get a picture.

#23 ·
Wow! I just priced these out at a local dealership and they quoted me $687.68 CDN each, so 2,750.52 CDN for a set!

#25 ·
Bad News! These did not fit. The caliper is so close to the inner barrel of the wheel that I doubt you could slip a couple pieces of paper in there. And that was at the outer edge of the wheel. The calipers are slightly wider on the inner side, so were probably even closer/barely rubbing. The kicker was that the stick on wheel weights made direct contact with the calipers, whether they were applied toward the face of the wheel or the back.

I opened up a case with Tire Rack to return them and see what they can do. I'm annoyed because I had a mail in rebate that would have been coming on the tires that I now can't get. I also really wanted 16's to have the extra sidewall in the winter, as well as the narrower tire for better snow traction. A 17" package is hundreds more, with wider tires, and now no rebate. Ugh. I told Tire Rack I'd be open to them using my car for measurements, since it seems they had no real idea what would fit the Elantra Sport, particularly since they also offered 15" packages which would stand no chance of fitting. I doubt they'll take me up on it (I live close to the Windsor, CT distribution center), but you never know.

I'll keep everyone posted if something comes out of it....in the meantime, beware of 16" wheels and be sure they will fit with enough clearance.

#28 · (Edited)
I just ordered a "budget" 17" set-up.

EBAY 2017 Tuscon new take-off wheels with TPMS for $249 shipped

225/45-17 Nexen Winspike winter tires for $311 shipped from tires-easy.com

So for $560 + M&B.

Top 20 best winter tires for 2015-2016

MSN rated the Nexen at #10 in its top 20 winter tires in a recent test.

I have also subscribed to using a "wide" winter tire, which is counter to the traditional get a tall, narrow tire.
The narrow tire is better in fresh snow--that's really about it. The new tires are all about sipes...and more sipe/sq.in. are better.

Continental Tires explains it here: Wide tires

#31 ·
I just ordered a "budget" 17" set-up.

EBAY 2017 Tuscon new take-off wheels with TPMS for $249 shipped

225/45-17 Nexen Winspike winter tires for $311 shipped from tires-easy.com

So for $560 + M&B.

MSN rated the Nexen at #10 in its top 20 winter tires in a recent test.

I have also subscribed to using a "wide" winter tire, which is counter to the traditional get a tall, narrow tire.
The narrow tire is better in fresh snow--that's really about it. The new tires are all about sipes...and more sipe/sq.in. are better.

Continental Tires explains it here: Wide tires
Let me know how those Tucson rims work out for you. I'm highly considering ordering that set.

Also what special tool do you need to program the TPMS to the car? I come from the GTI world where it's all conveniently part of the ABS.

#30 ·
Hi All,

So I got my winter rims and tires. I got 16x6.5 (+42mm offset) steel rims, and 205/55/16 X-ICE Xi3's.

I did a test fit on the front yesterday, and the caliper is literally 3mm's from the inner surface of the rim. My mechanic said, if it doesn't touch, it won't touch. And the brake pad is at it's maximum, because they are pretty much brand new.

It fits, but really close..

Now, just have to get a proper jack and torque wrench...

#44 ·
Just had my summer rims (with stock skins) removed. I put winter tires, Michelin X-ice xi3, on the stock rims and had those mounted.
Pierce Motorsports rear sway bar was installed while the car was in the air.

#45 · (Edited)

17" Tuscon Take-offs with Nexen Winspike 225/45-17 and Rally Armor Universal mud guards.

The TPMS sesnors were NOT recognized. Dealers wants $75 to make them work. From what I also have read, the car can only store 4 sensors at a time, meaning this procedure needs to be done every fall and every spring--unless you live with a "!" light.

Can anyone confirm if this is accurate information???

EDIT: I have conflicting infomation on TPMS frequency. The ES is supposed to be 315 MHz and some sources say the Tuscon units work at 433 MHz (some say 315 MHz). The units do look different. The Tuscon has a flexible valve stem and the ES has a rigid one. I think the plan will be to get matching units to the OE sensors, break a bead on the wheels and switch sensors. This should keep the need for rebalancing.

Reactions: n0thing
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.