Paddle shifters - Page 2 - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1600Turbo View Post
It doesn't, IMO. DSG is more refined, quicker shifts.

Thanks for the info! I bought my first non manual car ever 2017 GTI DSG a year ago. I was actually impressed. I know some people don't like the low speed shifts, but I was fine with it as I mostly drive long highway trips. And yes, in "D" it wants to go to the next gear asap for MPG's. That didn't bother me either. I liked the fact you could keep it in "D" and shift on your own and then it would go back to shift on it's own after a bit. Once the oil temp was to 210, I usually shifted on my own with the paddles. It was quite fun. Sport mode was just too crazy for me.

Is the Elantra Sport experience even close? I've given up on getting a manual at this point as there's less than 50 2019 manuals out there at this point. IF the Elantra Sport transmission is close to the same experience, I'd be in on a 2020.

Do people ever just shift with the paddles on their own? Is there just a transmission tune for the Elantra Sport like they have with the VW DSG? I never got it, but heard it changes everything people hate about the VW DSG.
EDIT: Sorry for all the questions. I just received an offer from Carvana on my Accord Sport 2.0 that's hard to resist. I can use my dump cars for daily drive and wait till 2020 Elantra Sports become available. Since they are all DCT's, I'm just hoping the experience will be somewhat near the VW GTI DSG. I've seen YouTube videos where they regret it.
KlasseAct likes this.

Last edited by Sport; 07-19-2019 at 11:58 PM.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport View Post
Thanks for the info! I bought my first non manual car ever 2017 GTI DSG a year ago. I was actually impressed. I know some people don't like the low speed shifts, but I was fine with it as I mostly drive long highway trips. And yes, in "D" it wants to go to the next gear asap for MPG's. That didn't bother me either. I liked the fact you could keep it in "D" and shift on your own and then it would go back to shift on it's own after a bit. Once the oil temp was to 210, I usually shifted on my own with the paddles. It was quite fun. Sport mode was just too crazy for me.

Is the Elantra Sport experience even close? I've given up on getting a manual at this point as there's less than 50 2019 manuals out there at this point. IF the Elantra Sport transmission is close to the same experience, I'd be in on a 2020.

Do people ever just shift with the paddles on their own? Is there just a transmission tune for the Elantra Sport like they have with the VW DSG? I never got it, but heard it changes everything people hate about the VW DSG.
EDIT: Sorry for all the questions. I just received an offer from Carvana on my Accord Sport 2.0 that's hard to resist. I can use my dump cars for daily drive and wait till 2020 Elantra Sports become available. Since they are all DCT's, I'm just hoping the experience will be somewhat near the VW GTI DSG. I've seen YouTube videos where they regret it.
I'd personally wait for the Forte GT coming out. I can't comment too much on the DCT, my car is a manual. The only DCT I drove was hunting hears and acting strange and it put me off purchasing one.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I'd personally wait for the Forte GT coming out. I can't comment too much on the DCT, my car is a manual. The only DCT I drove was hunting hears and acting strange and it put me off purchasing one.
Well shoot, I believe I mentioned the Forte GT on this site in another thread, but totally forgot about it since it's not out yet. Will probably be a great alternative to the Elantra Sport. My only issue is Kia doesn't usually discount their cars like Hyundai does. I'm in the DC area and most dealers here just blow out the Elantra Sports with pretty crazy discounts. I don't see Kia doing the same thing. Let alone with a brand new model. But for sure I will keep that in mind. Don't need to buy now so in a good place. Thanks for the reminder!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:59 AM

Its quick

Quote:
Pretty much off topic, but how does this transmission compare to the VW GTI DSG? Same experience?
I am sure many people on this forum has seen this video buts its worth a watch. you can get an idea of the transmission behavior

[if there's a playback error, just click on the youtube link right above the video] that should take you directly to youtube

I wouldn't say it's AS fast as a DSG, but it's still pretty dang quick. I have no problems with the speed of the DCT at all.

2019 Elantra sport/ DCT/intense blue

Last edited by Harlemtwin; 07-20-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't, IMO. DSG is more refined, quicker shifts.

I have DCT shifts fairly quick, no problems!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Apparently I can't figure out how to reply, so here's a review/impressions. So after about 150 miles, they feel sturdy shifting regardless of where you shift on the paddle, one thing is its held in by screws and these may dig into your original shifters if you do to tight as I did. Next I really wish they had a rubberized material on the back of some kind cause they can get pretty slippery but will get the job done HOWEVER they heat up in sun. Uncomfortably so, might be worth it to block the metal on the back side.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlemtwin View Post
I guess we'll both find out in due time, I just ordered a set, also in red.

Looks like they're on backorder? Although, I didn't see an out of stock sign when I purchased them. Just out of curiosity, how long did it take to get yours?

2019 Elantra sport/ DCT/intense blue
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a week to week and a half, and it was on back order then
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 11:45 PM

Saw this posted on another site not related to the Elantra Sport. Thoughts?

"The biggest downside for me is the tranny. I got the DCT, and while it does a decent job, as time has gone on it’s showing that Hyundai still does not have this nailed down. It’s extremely jerky, and at low speeds the car feels like a “bucking bronco”. After two years it has just become excessively annoying. And while the suspension is super fun on the twisters, it’s very rough and bouncy with normal day to day driving."

Last edited by Sport; 07-27-2019 at 11:47 PM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 AM

Can't buy a sporty car and complain about stiff suspension IMO. Should have bought a Honda Civic.

With that said, many complaints about the DCT, several been replaced multiple times, cars being bought back for that reason. It's a dry clutch DCT which is jerky to begin with, and most people used to driving regular automatics will have a hard time getting used to it. I only had slight interest in it until I drove one that wasn't behaving properly and wasn't responding to commands so I bought the 6MT (my first choice) and haven't looked back.

Hyundai is currently testing a wet clutch 8-speed DCT that will find it's way into the i30 N and Veloster N probably for the 2021 model year and I expect it to be worlds better in every way.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in