Gas/Fuel used in your ES - Page 8 - Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum
View Poll Results: What gas/fuel grade do you use?
Regular 49 47.12%
Mid-grade 9 8.65%
Premium 46 44.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM

I've been running 93 in my car since I got it back on the day before St. Patrick's Day but come winter I may switch to 87 because of how cold and dense the air is going to be, don't really see the need to run the good stuff when its cold and snowy outside, the car isn't going to be put to the test too much. What do you guys "in the know" think about this thought process

2018 ES Electric Blue
-Sport badge replaced by Veloster TURBO badge
-Motul XS8100 5w40/Wix oil filter
-JUN B.L. axle-back
-SXTH Element CPLT intake
-SXTH Element catch can, awaiting install
post #72 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoResumes View Post
So I'm having some sputtering issues at 4k and above in third and 4th gears. The car kind of jerks and seems like it is holding me back when I floor it. The rpm gauge jumps around too. Anyone had any of these issues? Like you can feel the car jerking you back n forth when you floor it after 4k rpm. I'm at dealer and they said it sounds normal for a turbo Hyundai. Can anyone explain or help me to understand this issue. I'm driving a 6spd manual
What fuel are you running? No engine lights? Could be a bad boost control solenoid, the stock ones are crap.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #73 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Ran 87 in the winter but 91 summer time, also got a 91 octane tune so that might be why I deal with these gas prices 😂

post #74 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlasseAct View Post
I've been running 93 in my car since I got it back on the day before St. Patrick's Day but come winter I may switch to 87 because of how cold and dense the air is going to be, don't really see the need to run the good stuff when its cold and snowy outside, the car isn't going to be put to the test too much. What do you guys "in the know" think about this thought process
Running 93 isn't really for performance - it's for engine longevity. Only running it half of the time doesn't really give you much benefit.
post #75 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Idol View Post
Running 93 isn't really for performance - it's for engine longevity. Only running it half of the time doesn't really give you much benefit.

Engine longevity, elaborate

2018 ES Electric Blue
-JUN B.L. axle-back
post #76 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlasseAct View Post
Engine longevity, elaborate
no need to be be persuaded by everyone who claims higher octane is a wonder drug for our cars. more power, more reliability, engine longevity blah blah blah......it was designed to run on 87, LOTS of people run it with no issues. Run whatever makes you feel good.
I've run 87 for 5000km and have run 91 for the next 5000km (first 10k of the cars life) and i really didn't notice a difference. Going to switch back to 87 again and observe driveability and mileage some more and see if it changes. My mileage seemed a bit better with 91, which has no ethanol in my area while most of the 87 has "up to 10%" ethanol as posted on the pumps. The difference isn't worth the extra price if we are talking purely about dollars and cents, if it was even due to the fuel.

'19 ES Base. Lava Orange 6mt
'17 Santa Fe XL Luxury
post #77 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowstig View Post
no need to be be persuaded by everyone who claims higher octane is a wonder drug for our cars. more power, more reliability, engine longevity blah blah blah......it was designed to run on 87, LOTS of people run it with no issues. Run whatever makes you feel good.
I've run 87 for 5000km and have run 91 for the next 5000km (first 10k of the cars life) and i really didn't notice a difference. Going to switch back to 87 again and observe driveability and mileage some more and see if it changes. My mileage seemed a bit better with 91, which has no ethanol in my area while most of the 87 has "up to 10%" ethanol as posted on the pumps. The difference isn't worth the extra price if we are talking purely about dollars and cents, if it was even due to the fuel.
Running premium octane (91+) will not net you any extra power, but the car does run better on it and I have seen datalogs to prove it. This car will pull timing for just about anything and it most definitely does so when you run 87. I shutter to think just what it's doing on a hot day. I live in Arizona where it's 115F right now and I can still feel it pulling timing even though I run 91 exclusively now having switched back from running E30. As far as extra price goes, talking pennies in the long run. For me it's like $20 a month. Not enough to fuss over and the smoother driveability is worth it to me. But to each their own.

'17 Galactic Gray 6MT Base | Lap3 Tuned | SCCA Solo STH

Kia OEM B&M SS w/SXTH Alum Bush | N-Line Mounts | GFB Mach 2
SXTH Dual OCC, FMIC | Straight Midpipe | JUN B.L. Axleback | VelossaTech BM
KDM Tuners Slotted Rotors, Stainless Lines | Porterfield R4-S
YSR Coilovers (8k/6k) | Pierce 4-point Tie Bar, ES-ONE Strut Bar | SXTH 22mm RR Sway
XXR 527 18x8 +45 | Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40
post #78 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 PM

I second r1600, the car runs horribly on 87. Feels like it needs an extra few seconds to kick into gear, boost doesn't feel as strong through the rooms either, didn't think there was much of a difference but really there is
post #79 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Well I'm not worried about the price difference either but was just thinking outloud about winter driveability, that's all.

2018 ES Electric Blue
-JUN B.L. axle-back
post #80 of 81 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Idol
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowstig View Post
The difference is in:

1. knock. Octane is a measure of the fuel's resistance to knock. Lower octane equals more knock - that's a fact. GDI motors are prone to knock - also a fact. Turbocharged GDI motors are even more prone to knock as well as "super knock" (i.e. LSPI) which can cause catastrophic failure - also a fact. The ES uses an adaptive ECU, meaning it can change operating parameters, including timing, on the fly - fact. This ECU will retard timing when it detects knock - fact.

2. carbon deposits. Because these are GDI motors, no fuel washes over the intake valves - fact. Because no fuel washes over the intake valves they don't get cleaned the way they do in non-GDI motors, so carbon deposits will build up far faster on the intake valves in a GDI car compared to a non-GDI car - fact. Higher octane fuel will leave fewer carbon deposits on the intake valves - fact. Eventually carbon deposits will cause the intake valves to not seat/seal properly during combustion, robbing the car of power over time - fact.

It's not a wonder drug - no one is claiming that it is. However, it most definitely helps with engine longevity and power delivery.

The car isn't "designed to run on 87". It can run on 87, but that is simply the minimum octane rating recommended by the manufacturer. It will absolutely run more efficiently on higher octanes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hyundai Elantra Sport Turbo Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page