Elantra Sport Forum banner

aFe Module +38 HP and +54 Torque

21K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  lurker 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried this new module from aFe? They state you will get +38 HP and +54 Torque to include not leaving any trace on the ECU (No Footprint). I'm trying to do basic upgrades for a little more power on the stock platform.

Look forward to the responses.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Has anyone tried this new module from aFe? They state you will get +38 HP and +54 Torque to include not leaving any trace on the ECU (No Footprint). I'm trying to do basic upgrades for a little more power on the stock platform.

Look forward to the responses.
I have seen the AFE Module, but not sure if it will hurt the engine and show codes.
I would like to get one but have not seen many reviews on it

#11 ·
I put one on my GTS a few days ago. After a 3 week back order I was very excited. We only have 91 octane here is Cali, so I see a decent difference on sport+ mode (the module's mode) when my car is on it's own Sport mode too. Crisper turbo response and boost build. Possibly a placebo, but even on Module's green stock mode and mine on normal drive mode, I feel less turbo lag.

Hardest part of the whole install was routing the switch wire through the firewall. I had to drop the TCU and the TCU bracket (under the steering column) and removed the grommet with the hood cable. I ran the switch wire through the hole and then filled it with silicon.

I have ran the module on "Race" mode with my car in Sport and it's a whole new animal of a car. Absolutely worth it to me. I have k&n air filter (stock intake) and aFe axle back exhaust.

#12 ·
Just FYI to anyone running this thing, AFE recommends using 93 octane on race mode. Per the AFE rep on facebook:

I was talking to the engineers about the Scorcher for the Elantra specifically today and they said for the Sport and Sport+ settings you’ll want to run 91 Octane. For Race mode you’ll want 93 Octane. Performance spark plugs and Octane boosters are helpful but not required.

#18 ·
Hey, its your engine, not mine. But with your reliance on the knock sensor means that it must first knock to some degree in order to then adjust. Add that to the fact the cylinder (now at full boost and in the 13s air fuel) is now much hotter due to the lean condition.

#25 ·
Some fuel for the fire (I couldn't care either way as I went full ECU tune) but SXTH Element did an experiment the other night with their shop car to help settle a debate. Below are the results of that experiment.

Mods on the car: (essentially full bolt-on)

-SXTH intake
-SXTH Fmic kit
-SXTH catless downpipe
-SXTH cat-back with muff/res
-SXTH dual catch can system

Fuel was E30 for both. Stock plugs.

First, Mark dyno'd the car with the stock ECU. As you can see, the power limiters in the stock ECU were showing us just how much they like to ruin the fun. If you want more power than this, you NEED some sort of solution outside the stock ECU. Be it in piggyback or full ECU tune form.

Next, he ran the Lap3 Pro Tuner on Mode 3 (pretty sure this requires E30). Very strong numbers for a piggyback, fantastic curve.

Here it is vs the stock ECU so you can see the difference:

Next was the AFE Scorcher on Race Mode. (AFE requires 93+ octane for this mode)

And Lap3 Pro Tuner vs AFE on the same plot. (Lap3 dotted lines, AFE solid lines)

#26 ·
Some fuel for the fire (I couldn't care either way as I went full ECU tune) but SXTH Element did an experiment the other night with their shop car to help settle a debate. Below are the results of that experiment.

Mods on the car: (essentially full bolt-on)

-SXTH intake
-SXTH Fmic kit
-SXTH catless downpipe
-SXTH cat-back with muff/res
-SXTH dual catch can system

Fuel was E30 for both.

First, Mark dyno'd the car with the stock ECU. As you can see, the power limiters in the stock ECU were showing us just how much they like to ruin the fun. If you want more power than this, you NEED some sort of solution outside the stock ECU. Be it in piggyback or full ECU tune form.

Next, he ran the Lap3 Pro Tuner on Mode 3 (pretty sure this requires E30). Very strong numbers for a piggyback, fantastic curve.

Here it is vs the stock ECU so you can see the difference:

Next was the AFE Scorcher on Race Mode. (AFE requires 93+ octane for this mode)

And Lap3 Pro Tuner vs AFE on the same plot. (Lap3 dotted lines, AFE solid lines)

I like the graph for the pro tuner! Not as much of a list in the higher rpms! I wonder how the lap3 spare Ecu would compare?

#32 ·
XSOCRUZ, if you see my attachment on post number 25 of this thread, youll see how much longer the air fuel takes to react than with the module removed. 500rpm in the 15s doesnt sound like much but if you look up to the top of the graph, thats where the engine is making peak torque. All it takes is one or 2 violent pre-ignition events, beit LSPI or regular knock, to blow the rotating assembly out on the street. Keep a broom with you.

#33 ·
Honestly if you could just datalog a run that starts at around 2500rpm in 3rd or 4th gear and gets pretty close to redline and then share that should be enough to put concerns at ease. That gives the ECU a good amount of time to work with (or against) the AFE and see what everything looks like. I'd recommend putting short term fuel trim, long term fuel trim, ignition timing correction, throttle position, and anything else you can throw in there for analysis. I don't think we can log EGTs but if we can that would be great as well.

If the car goes from 14-15 and drops very quickly into the 10-20 range and the car isn't pulling a ton of timing while adding a ton of fuel then it's a sign that things are working okay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.