Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Curious what others here think about the newer 2019/20 Corolla sedan and HB...one of my other choices besides the ES was a 2020 Corolla SE 6MT in Celestite Gray. I do like the styling of the hatch, BUT it had some deal breakers like no moonroof and a super small cargo area. However, there's never been a stylish Corolla ever (AE86s don't count since no one buys them for their looks). The HB looks better than the sedan, however, the SE 6MT sedan comes with the moonroof, but that's it, which pales in comparison to the fully loaded nature of the ES. The HB is made in Japan, and the sedan from my search, has production both in Japan and US. However, the 169 HP motor seems just too anemic at this point for the sport compact segment, but fine for most Big T fanboys since the hatch seems pretty popular enough that there's decent aftermarket parts available.

As a Toyota fan, no one asked for the Corolla Apex Edition because everyone is eagerly waiting for the GR Corolla, coming on the heels of the forbidden GR Yaris. I did check one at my local dealer while getting my Corolla serviced before it sold, and the asking price of $26K (same as Civic Si) is bonkers for just a few more suspension bits and a wang like the Camry TRD and no extra HP (Apex models are all US made, none made in Japan from my search too).

·
Registered
297 Posts
The hatchback looks nice but the space in the rear is really tight. But what made me dismiss it was the lack of performance - it's just too slow.

It's a shame the GR Yaris isn't coming stateside. Is it confirmed that the GR Corolla is coming to US shores?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The hatchback looks nice but the space in the rear is really tight. But what made me dismiss it was the lack of performance - it's just too slow.

It's a shame the GR Yaris isn't coming stateside. Is it confirmed that the GR Corolla is coming to US shores?
Yeah, the HB is pitched as the 'enthusiast' Corolla model, and the tuners in Japan have plenty of parts for it (Greddy, RSR, Cusco, etc.), but I agree the performance on paper is still behind the Civic, at least Hyundai is aiming to match Honda. My 09 XRS was Toyota's attempt to compete with the Si back, then but it is just a Scion tC with four doors. The first XRS with the 2ZZ motor was more fun. I think Toyota gave up and just cared that the car was seen as reliable for the mass commuter market and of course, the Corolla is successful in that aspect, but it would be seen in the same vein as the Civic, with the Si and Type R.

This Corolla is definitely the best to come out in a long while, just like the Camry, since they are on Toyota's TNGA platform. I had rented a Camry SE a few weekends ago and thought the chassis was really dialed in like no other Camrys I've driven in the past. But as the Civic is preparing for an all new platform for 2022, Toyota hasn't brought out the GR model yet. Its probably got another 2-3 model years before it gets replaced. Its a good commuter and it rides on a good chassis, but it would be a pathetic for it to not be offered with a more potent engine. But hey, the Corolla is still a top seller because it is known for being a reliable transportation appliance.

Toyota is promising us a GR model, which can't not be anything other than a Corolla...but in this industry, things change fast. The Elantra N is likely going to be out sooner than a GR Corolla it seems. Who knows, it could just pop out in 2022 since Toyota is notoriously tight lipped.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'm waiting to see what they do with the upcoming GR Corolla hot hatch. I may just pick one up to add to the garage next to the ES.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm waiting to see what they do with the upcoming GR Corolla hot hatch. I may just pick one up to add to the garage next to the ES.
Are your corporate overlords releasing another Nismo or SR Turbo model again? You can always hold out for the 400z and get it on a company lease..

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Are your corporate overlords releasing another Nismo or SR Turbo model again? You can always hold out for the 400z and get it on a company lease..
Not that I know of, and I probably won't be there long enough to lease a new Z.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts