Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have been misdirected but is it true that any mod you add to your car you need to disconnect the Negative terminal on the battery, wait 15-20 minutes then once you turn it back on you are supposed to drive for 20-30 minutes so the ECU can get used to the mod? I know SXTH starts off every "How-To" with disconnecting the (-) end of the battery. I am also curious with resetting the ECU monthly? I read on a couple forumns that you can reset the ECU, drive pretty aggressively, so then the ECU gets used to the spirited driving? Sorry for the multiple questions, im just curious! Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know that it's not true for every mod. I have done several mods to my ES and have only disconnected the battery once to reset logic because I moved about a thousand miles and 5000 feet in elevation and towed the car to the new location. I have definitely felt changes from most of my engine mods without unhooking the battery. Sxth probably recommends starting with that for safety reasons. It'll just reduce the chance of any issues if messing with anything electrical when doing a mod or accidentally touching something positive and something negative together while working on the car (don't lay wrenches on top of the battery!).

There's info out there about doing some key-on-engine-off routine when you do a tune or any changes to your ECU, but you shouldn't need to for mods. I don't know why you would do it monthly. I notice the car drives a little differently after my wife has it out for a day of errands, so the logic can adapt pretty quickly. Just drive it spiritedly and the car will adapt.

If anyone else has more info on the ECUs logic and driveability, please enlighten us. I'm going off experience and what I've read.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I haven't done this and have never had an issue. I only ever disconnect the battery when I'm working with electrical stuff.

Also keep in mind that no matter how many mods you do, you'll only make 10-15 hp over stock. Limiters in the ECU will stop it from going any further. You will need an ECU tune to take full advantage of every bolt on.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
You don't have to, no. However, these are adaptive ECUs, so they will definitely "learn" mods. If you reset the ECU after installing a mod it will have a new "baseline" to work from and will "learn" the mod more quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts