Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone! Just thought I'd introduce myself. :) I will be the proud owner of a new 2018 Elantra Sport DCT in Black Noir Pearl. I'm signing the deal and picking it up tonight. I am coming from 15 years of owning ONLY VW's, so this will be quite a change for me, but I am excited. I'll be leaving behind a 2015 Passat 1.8T Sport. It's been a great car, but I'm ready for a change to something more fun. Drove one of these for the first time on Monday and fell in love. It does not have the premium package, which I'm a bit bummed about, but all I cared about was the Infinity audio, and it wasn't worth the jump in payments. This will also be the very first black car I have ever owned, so we will see how this goes, haha. I will post pictures as soon as I have it, but I'm anxious to start my next chapter with the ES!

By the way, where can I go for aftermarket parts for these cars? I'm only familiar with VW aftermarket companies. I won't be doing too much, but I would love a set of interior LEDs and other little things.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats! Curious, how did you like your Jetta? Seems you just wanted a change? Here in the DC area, the top of the line GLI models are in the low 20's (OTD under $22k for me) with major discounts. Crazy low price for what you get as the car is fully loaded. It's not a GTI of course, but seems like a good sedan. Though the platform is VERY old. Quite tempting as I'm shopping those as well along with the Elantra Sport. Just wondering likes and dislikes from a former Jetta owner such as yourself.

Enjoy your new ride! Black is a pain, but looks soooo good when clean haha!

There are two sponsors on here with aftermarket parts. I'm sure they'll chime in soon. There are definitely options.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Welcome to the ES forums!

We're still a young community, so only have 2 vendors here on the site - Tork Motorsports and SXTH Element. Definitely give them both a look over. There is a fair amount of part overlap between the two, but both also offer unique items.

In addition the following non-site vendors offer performance parts for the ES: 845 Motorsports, Pierce Motorsports, and Xenon Element.

I'm probably missing some, so anyone else feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats! Curious, how did you like your Jetta? Seems you just wanted a change? Here in the DC area, the top of the line GLI models are in the low 20's (OTD under $22k for me) with major discounts. Crazy low price for what you get as the car is fully loaded. It's not a GTI of course, but seems like a good sedan. Though the platform is VERY old. Quite tempting as I'm shopping those as well along with the Elantra Sport. Just wondering likes and dislikes from a former Jetta owner such as yourself.

Enjoy your new ride! Black is a pain, but looks soooo good when clean haha!

There are two sponsors on here with aftermarket parts. I'm sure they'll chime in soon. There are definitely options.
Thanks! And actually I had a Passat, not a Jetta. But I did look into a new GLI. It was actually my top choice at the time. But VW's incentives and rates just weren't as good, and the GLI still ended up being much more expensive to lease. Plus honestly, the only thing that I preferred in the GLI was the Fender audio. The ES has better equipment in many regards, and yes, the current Jetta's platform is ancient. Honestly so is the Passat's, too. My Passat was great, a fantastic highway cruiser, but it felt like driving a big Buick...comfortable as ****, but absolutely fought you every time you tried to throw it around a bit. Floaty, numb, inspired no confidence, plus the brakes were overly soft. I felt like I had to apply them much earlier than in other cars I've owned. I got the Passat shortly after our son was born, thinking I'd need something bigger. Then my wife goes and buys a Pathfinder and we just end up taking it everywhere as a family. :rolleyes: So, kinda leaves my "need" for a big car moot. It was time to get back into something fun, but still practical.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
There's a couple guys in the facebook group that can get you some great items from South Korea for fantastic prices and super quick shipping. (I got my spoiler in 2 days) Oliver Wong and Albert Hwang. The group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/elantrasportgroupNA/
sweet, our own communities are proving to be more useful than Hyundai dealers :D
from what i noticed its the dealers that really involve themselves with the community that make this stuff happen, and as you can guess its rare!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here she is! I've only driven it for about 20 minutes and I'm already in love. This thing is FUN and it sounds amazing. Ride is a bit rougher than I've been used to but it's not bad at all. I'm excited to drive to work tomorrow morning!
Congrats on getting the car!

Whenever you want to add some performance check us out and let me know if you have any questions :)

www.sxthelement.com

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here she is! I've only driven it for about 20 minutes and I'm already in love. This thing is FUN and it sounds amazing. Ride is a bit rougher than I've been used to but it's not bad at all. I'm excited to drive to work tomorrow morning!
As you mentioned the Passat had a "Big Buick" feel, so anything will be more stiff than what you're used to. It's not beating you up though right? Will be interesting on how the Sport treats you on your first long trip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not that bad at all IMO. I used to have a 2012 GTI some years back and the ES is no bumpier than that was. I've just been spoiled by a plush ride for a few years so it's taking some getting used to again. But the overall fun thanks to its handling is a great tradeoff for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.