Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 2018 ES (obviously), and today I noticed a ticking coming from the engine. I checked my oil level and it was fine. I only have around 2300 miles, so I'm not due for an oil change soon, and I've only had the car for 2 months. What gives? What is this ticking sound? It's veterans day, but I plan on calling my dealership tomorrow and scheduling a service visit.

This ticking sound is most noticeable at idle, but I can hear it under acceleration as it seems to get louder. I'm disappointed I'm having issues when I haven't even had the car for half a year. Any advice?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the first time I've noticed this sound in all of the 2000+ miles I've had this car, and it's very annoying when idle at a light or just idle in general. There's no way this sound is normal and it's sad if it is.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Definitely take it in. I'd also take a video of the issue right now - just in case you can't reproduce it when you get to the dealership.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
This is the first time I've noticed this sound in all of the 2000+ miles I've had this car, and it's very annoying when idle at a light or just idle in general. There's no way this sound is normal and it's sad if it is.
Well a ticking could be anything. The engine makes lots of ticking noises. If you can get a video that would help us out here, otherwise nobody can help you besides the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As others have said, DI engine injectors and high pressure fuel pump are much more noisy than EFI because of they way they work. Also, not sure if the Hyundai GDI engines have this, but some DI engines like Toyota "self clean" the injectors by switching between direct and port injection during certain idle cycles. This produces a different rhythm of chatter and ticking when it enters this phase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I went to go turn my car on, and the ticking sound was almost gone. I could still hear it if I listened very closely, but the sound was almost gone. Thanks for all the comments, I thought something was seriously wrong with my car. I still have scheduled a dealership visit just to be sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Often this thicking noise is made by high pressure fuel injectors.

But it cost nothing to get a tech opinion at the dealer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a lightly perceptible tick on my engine as well. The tone of the sound is like a well muted diesel engine. I used to remember it used to 'tick' me off when I bought the car but since then I have either got used to it or the engine has run in well now at 30000mi. It doesn't bother me anymore. I use 0w-40 synthetic oil from the dealership on my car from the beginning.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I have a lightly perceptible tick on my engine as well. The tone of the sound is like a well muted diesel engine. I used to remember it used to 'tick' me off when I bought the car but since then I have either got used to it or the engine has run in well now at 30000mi. It doesn't bother me anymore. I use 0w-40 synthetic oil from the dealership on my car from the beginning.
Mine has a similar sound. 42k miles, 5w40 oil changes every 3500 miles. Autocross days, canyon runs, not that easy on the car. No issues so far. Getting tuned shortly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.