Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Elantra Sport and I noticed that the fuel gauge appears to be inaccurate. While sitting in traffic, not moving, I can see the fuel gauge move up and down slightly while idling. The gauge stays on full for a long time and seems to fall very quickly once it starts to move. I recently refilled with gas and the car showed I had a little less than 1/8th of a tank before I put gas in it. I was able to put just under 10 gallons in it which does not add up when the tank is 14 gallons. Either Hyundai uses a very large amount of gas for a "reserve" or the gauge is inaccurate. Just today, I got a low fuel light while driving and it said I had 25 miles of range left. I pulled into the gas station (5 miles from when the light came on) and the light was out and the fuel gauge had gone back up! Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and if so, what have you done about it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My ES IDIOT light came on for the first time indicating that I had about 25 miles left before empty! Never having the light come on before and being in a situation where I was not close to a fueling station I was a bit nervous. However, unlike your situation the fuel needle did not jump around and I just kept on going off of what the digital mileage remaining was indicating which made its way down to 5 miles remaining. Now this got me very nervous!!! However, at 3 miles remaining I pulled into the gas station and survived the ordeal without consequence thank god! I guess the the computer modeling in terms of accuracy of the fuel requirements in this ES are pretty accurate. In the future I will go my the computer results and not go by the analog reading for determining fuel reading.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
My ES IDIOT light came on for the first time indicating that I had about 25 miles left before empty! Never having the light come on before and being in a situation where I was not close to a fueling station I was a bit nervous. However, unlike your situation the fuel needle did not jump around and I just kept on going off of what the digital mileage remaining was indicating which made its way down to 5 miles remaining. Now this got me very nervous!!! However, at 3 miles remaining I pulled into the gas station and survived the ordeal without consequence thank god! I guess the the computer modeling in terms of accuracy of the fuel requirements in this ES are pretty accurate. In the future I will go my the computer results and not go by the analog reading for determining fuel reading.
Maybe. I know the MPG number is typically 2-4mpg high, so based on that not sure I would trust the range. Either way I don't go that far on a tank anyway because below 12% fuel the ECU pulls timing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Don't worry, I got over 2kms (about 1.6miles) on empty coming home from a 3 hour car jam up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts