Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting my car in April of 2019 (brand new, first owner) the car got towed about 9 months in, for the first time with it not wanting to go and the engine shaking if I picked up speed. Dealer said it was the coals and coal pack and replaced them (and I believe the spark plugs). About 2-3 months later it put me back on the side of the road with the same issues of not wanting to go and the engine shaking, so I had it towed again and. The dealer informed me that Hyundai had to re-design the coal pack "system" and that once the new design came in they would put it in and I would be good to go. Just this Saturday, the car once again was acting the same way as the previous 2 times. Once again I had it towed to the dealership. I was told today that they aren't finding anything wrong with it and that it was driving fine and asked if I had been through any flood water (my respond was NO, we haven't had any flooding around here). So to make a long story short, with all the issues I have had with this car since I got it, has anyone had any issues with water in the air filter?? (I believe that is what they are trying to put it off on...I guess we will see)

Side note: I have all my maintenance done through Hyundai service department, I have a feeling someone didn't attach the cover to the air filter good when checking everything with my oil change (they are suppose to check other fluids, tires, and filters). I just don't know how water can get that high up in the air filter unless you sink teh car into the river!!

Help.....side of the road lady!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
There has been no update to the coil packs as far as I am aware. An open airbox won't cause the issue either. Water is a bad excuse for them. Once, maybe. Three times? Don't think so.

Is anything else happening when this happens? Is the check engine light flashing? Did it come on at all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There has been no update to the coil packs as far as I am aware. An open airbox won't cause the issue either. Water is a bad excuse for them. Once, maybe. Three times? Don't think so.

Is anything else happening when this happens? Is the check engine light flashing? Di

Is anything else happening when this happens? Is the check engine light flashing? Did it come on at all?
d it come on at all?
The first 2 times the check engine light came on but I didnt pay it any attention this time just cause it was doing the same thing. The 2nd time when they replayed everything due to the new desgin, it was an issue so they made it a recall on the coil pack therefore they put the new manufactured design in the car....i really think its the same issue but i feel like they are trying to find something else so it isn't on them (just my opinion though)....when it does it the car speed goes way down (this last time i could only go 9mph and if i press the gas to get up to even the speed limit it starts shaking and feels like the engine is going to blow up

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The first 2 times the check engine light came on but I didnt pay it any attention this time just cause it was doing the same thing. The 2nd time when they replayed everything due to the new desgin, it was an issue so they made it a recall on the coil pack therefore they put the new manufactured design in the car....i really think its the same issue but i feel like they are trying to find something else so it isn't on them (just my opinion though)....when it does it the car speed goes way down (this last time i could only go 9mph and if i press the gas to get up to even the speed limit it starts shaking and feels like the engine is going to blow up
I don't believe there have been any recalls or revisions to the ignition system. My guess is that you either have a transmission issue (auto I assume) or it's the fuel injectors. Both are somewhat common issues.

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport - Manual Transmission
7 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Elantra Sport last year with manual transmission. I have noticed since day one that the car will seldomly drop RPMs at idol almost to the point where my car will stall. I as well noticed that some mornings my car will force to start the ignition. Well yesterday my car started shaking at 80km/h and I pulled over. I assumed it was a spark plug/coil problem. I have only 16,000km on my baby and I am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. Hyundai informed me that they need to change 2 coils and the thermostat. How does this even happen?!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I purchased a 2019 Elantra Sport last year with manual transmission. I have noticed since day one that the car will seldomly drop RPMs at idol almost to the point where my car will stall. I as well noticed that some mornings my car will force to start the ignition. Well yesterday my car started shaking at 80km/h and I pulled over. I assumed it was a spark plug/coil problem. I have only 16,000km on my baby and I am hoping someone can shed some light on this issue. Hyundai informed me that they need to change 2 coils and the thermostat. How does this even happen?!
Parts go bad, unfortunately with mass production things are not always perfect. That's what the warranty is for. It's either coil packs or injectors. Did the check engine light flash when it lost power?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it did.
To add to my above comment, it was my first time putting regular 87 Octane gas. Hoping that this wasn't the factor...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes it did.
To add to my above comment, it was my first time putting regular 87 Octane gas. Hoping that this wasn't the factor...
Flashing CEL is misfire. Usually ignition related. The car can run on regular but IMO a turbo car deserves the best you can put in it. Some won't agree with that though. Either way, could have been a tank of bad gas.

Reactions: LeeZep84

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flashing CEL is misfire. Usually ignition related. The car can run on regular but IMO a turbo car deserves the best you can put in it. Some won't agree with that though. Either way, could have been a tank of bad gas.
Thanks R1600 Turbo!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts