Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know when the 2019 model year Elantra Sports will be out? Or indeed whether it will be the awful new Toyota Corolla design, or the existing beauty?

Thinking about getting one. Dealer only has base model Sports in stock and can't get any more - apparently "that's the end of the 2018's". They say that they don't know when the 2019's are coming. Can't decide whether I'll kick myself for not waiting for better specs, or if I wait, whether I'll kick myself for not jumping on a 2018 base. Here it's a $2500CDN premium for the tech trim, and you don't get a whole lot for that extra money, especially compared say to the GT Sport (regular vs. ultimate). Would love dual zone climate control though. My wife hates having the heating on in winter and I love it. Guess I could stick her in the trunk. I imagine its cooler back there :D

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Nobody knows anything other than the pricing which was already announced.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I saw a delivery truck on Monday with two new 2019 MY Elantra's on there. Did not see any sport models.

This is in Houston.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I saw a delivery truck on Monday with two new 2019 MY Elantra's on there. Did not see any sport models.

This is in Houston.
You won't see them at dealers until they officially unveil it, which they haven't done yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to let fate decide... if they agree to my offer, I'll take it, and if they don't, I'll walk away. They only have three 2018's left, so they might go for it. Their price certainly has enough padding!

I really wanted the GT Sport Ultimate, but I think now that we're talking 2019's, without 0% or v.low financing, its going to be beyond what I'm willing to pay for a car I do around 6000km per year in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You won't see them at dealers until they officially unveil it, which they haven't done yet.
I saw one parked on the side of the road near where I live in Houston, at first I thought it was a Sonata, after I got closer it was a freaking new Elantra... I was shocked too, since hyundai website wasn't updated yet.
The tail lamp was very distinct.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I saw one parked on the side of the road near where I live in Houston, at first I thought it was a Sonata, after I got closer it was a freaking new Elantra... I was shocked too, since hyundai website wasn't updated yet.
The tail lamp was very distinct.
Regular Elantra, yes. Sport, no. Not yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought the base Sport DCT today. Last one they had in Iron Grey. They gave me a reasonable trade allowance, a good deal on winter tires/wheels, remote starter all at 0% financing for a good price. Not as good as some I've seen on here, but good compared with what I expected to get. All being well, pick it up on Wednesday. Bye bye Santa Fe. Looking forward to feeling the road again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bought the base Sport DCT today. Last one they had in Iron Grey. They gave me a reasonable trade allowance, a good deal on winter tires/wheels, remote starter all at 0% financing for a good price. Not as good as some I've seen on here, but good compared with what I expected to get. All being well, pick it up on Wednesday. Bye bye Santa Fe. Looking forward to feeling the road again.

Good move, you won't regret it. The new Elantra looks so cheap in the front end, no class at all. And you can guess how badly they will make the Sport look when it comes out (I suspect the designers are thinking people want the sharp angles like the Civic, which we and everybody who didn't buy a Civic don't).

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
327 Posts
Initially my plan was to buy 2019 ES when they came out...but after seeing photos of the 'new' 2019 facelift, I got very motivated to secure 2018 ES. The facelift does not resemble an eye candy (inside and out), not in my eyes at least. I consider 19s a step backwards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We'll have to wait and see what the 2019's end up like, but the regular Elantra refresh certainly didn't inspire me with confidence. Day 3 with my 2018 Elantra Sport and I freaking love it. I feel as though my Santa Fe was a completely numb driving experience (which is why, 7.5 years after buying it, it only had 47,000km on it). The Elantra Sport has soul and a great connection to the road. I suspect I'll double the mileage in this one over the same period, if not more. I certainly have many miles of open road I can travel in this province.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Here's the 2019. Not much different than the normal Elantra, it has lost it's uniqueness. Pretty disappointed in Hyundai on this one.

(Keep in mind this is a Korean market Avante Sport, stuff like the red seats will likely not make it to North America)

·
Registered
66 Posts
IMHO, the most favorable pics yet, but still a backwards step style wise from ours. Perhaps it was more favorable than reality because of the angles the pics were taken at (especially the front). A mild makeover and not for the better. Especially annoying are those bargain basement looking triangle fog lights and the sharp angled styling around that area.

I wanted to see 2.0T on the back instead of 1.6T, knowing that would make too much sense to actually happen, sales wise.....a trade-in and sale lost from me for starters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's the 2019. Not much different than the normal Elantra, it has lost it's uniqueness. Pretty disappointed in Hyundai on this one.

(Keep in mind this is a Korean market Avante Sport, stuff like the red seats will likely not make it to North America)
Looks like I dodged a bullet and bought at the right time. Zero interest in the Toyota Elantra Sport. 😁

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
IMHO, the most favorable pics yet, but still a backwards step style wise from ours. Perhaps it was more favorable than reality because of the angles the pics were taken at (especially the front). A mild makeover and not for the better. Especially annoying are those bargain basement looking triangle fog lights and the sharp angled styling around that area.

I wanted to see 2.0T on the back instead of 1.6T, knowing that would make too much sense to actually happen, sales wise.....a trade-in and sale lost from me for starters.
It's not an N model, no reason for them to put the 2.0T in it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
All those angled lines - looks way too busy IMHO. Thanks for sharing those pics @R1600Turbo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts