Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is the only car ive owned where 3rd gear feels like it pulls harder than 2nd. If im in 2nd doing around 40 mph and then push it to the floor, it feels like a moderate burst of power comes on. However when im in 3rd at the same rpm it instantly pushes the car a lot harder. Like there is a significant amount of power that comes on instantly.

Anyone else feel this? Im guessing our 2nd gear is a bit too tall?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Could be ECU programming, smaller amount of boost in 2nd. But I'm no tuner, so you'll have to wait for one of them to comment. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was noticing that today while I was driving 3rd definitely felt faster then 2cnd hopefully a tune will adjust and fix it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Traction control and factory tune. Disable traction control and you'll likely notice the power band more evenly distributed throughout all gears.

·
Registered
140 Posts
1st & 2nd are over so fast anyway, I don't think it really matters.. Then again, I don't really have anywhere to 'stoplight drag' would be opponents in my small town. Most of my spirited cruises are on the twisty's off the main highways, 3rd & 4th gear see the most throttle for me. Blew the doors off some tool trying to roll coal on me, two corners down the road, he was nowhere to be seen..

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Not surprised. The strongest gear in the VT was 4th. Welcome to a 6 speed transmission. Very different from 4 and 5 speeds.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I was on the Focus ST forums they used to kid around about the VT guys saying 3rd gear was like "hyper drive". I guess this is true...

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Not surprised. The strongest gear in the VT was 4th. Welcome to a 6 speed transmission. Very different from 4 and 5 speeds.
Must be a programming thing because the ES and VT gearing is identical save for 1st which is slightly taller in the ES.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I always take off TC and ESC when I drive and it feels 10x's better!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interating i didnt know that. What exactly is the difference between tc and esc?
Traction control will not allow wheel spin at the front wheels when power is to them from the engine (like when accelerating hard in 1st), while stability control will use the brakes/throttle to try and control spin outs and slides (like sliding through a turn in rain, snow etc).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interating i didnt know that. What exactly is the difference between tc and esc?
Traction control will not allow wheel spin at the front wheels when power is to them from the engine (like when accelerating hard in 1st), while stability control will use the brakes/throttle to try and control spin outs and slides (like sliding through a turn in rain, snow etc).
Ok thanks that makes sense. I see the benefit to disabling tc but not so much esc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts