Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a dashcam a couple weeks ago and got around to installing it last weekend. It is meant to be hard-wired, and the manufacturer suggests tapping the interior lights fuse (though this is not car-specific advice).

Problem 1: Our fuses are super tiny mini fuses that most auto parts stores don't carry. Cool. This also means local auto parts stores don't have add-a-fuses in that size. I'm working around this temporarily by doing a ghetto rig (wrapping wire around fuse post).

Problem 2: It seems none of the fuses in the interior fuse panel run off true ACC, seems they're all constant power. You would think things like interior lights, seat heater, side mirror heaters, multimedia (radio), multifunction switch, pwr windows, pwr seat and others would only work with the ignition on, but nope, every one of them keep allowing power with the car off.

The only fuse which is almost always ACC is the cigarette lighter, and while on older Elantra's that was inside, they've now moved it under the hood. Does anyone know a way to tap ACC power without having to run a wire through the firewall to the fusebox under the hood?

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Problem 1: Our fuses are super tiny mini fuses that most auto parts stores don't carry. Cool. This also means local auto parts stores don't have add-a-fuses in that size. I'm working around this temporarily by doing a ghetto rig (wrapping wire around fuse post).
I got one that worked fine from either Auto Zone or O'Reilly. (can't remember which)

Problem 2: It seems none of the fuses in the interior fuse panel run off true ACC, seems they're all constant power. You would think things like interior lights, seat heater, side mirror heaters, multimedia (radio), multifunction switch, pwr windows, pwr seat and others would only work with the ignition on, but nope, every one of them keep allowing power with the car off.
I have mine tapped into the instrument cluster fuse. Works great.

I've been running a dash cam off this setup for a while. Let me know if you need any other info or pics, I should be able to get them tomorrow when it's light out.

Reactions: jamesrayth

·
Registered
248 Posts
I use a mini fuse add a circuit thing for my dashcam, basically had the manual there to see what they were in the fuse box but trial and error tested till I got one that was ACC power only and boom. theres also some bare metal car frame stuff right next to it to earth it too, worked a treat, but bear in mine mine is a right hand drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.