Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
elabs

He posted this same thing in one of the FB groups and never came back to elaborate.
the reason why is its not worth the argument. Basically unlike other vehicles our pcv recirculates back into the lower crankcase and its not a problem. only the breather side goes back into the top intake manifold. But it will be an endless argument if I bring it up in the group- as I'm sure it will here now as well.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
the reason why is its not worth the argument. Basically unlike other vehicles our pcv recirculates back into the lower crankcase and its not a problem. only the breather side goes back into the top intake manifold. But it will be an endless argument if I bring it up in the group- as I'm sure it will here now as well.
Breather goes from the valve cover to the intake tube, no?

PCV goes back into the intake manifold. At least as far as I have seen. I would love to be proven wrong. With photos of course.

I mean, sometimes it's nice to inform people and make a solid point than to continue to let everyone "not know what they are talking about".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yespcv

Breather goes from the valve cover to the intake tube, no?

PCV goes back into the intake manifold. At least as far as I have seen. I would love to be proven wrong. With photos of course.

I mean, sometimes it's nice to inform people and make a solid point than to continue to let everyone "not know what they are talking about".
honestly at the end of the day I'm not versed enough to explain exactly how the technician explained it in person. Made sense but I'm not going to try explaining and possibly mess wording up and it be inaccurate if ya feel me. I'll write down what he told me word for word next time I see him. When I heard it in person it made total sense but I'm still new to turbos/pcv/ catch cans etc.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Please help clarify...

If an Oil Catch Can 'breaks' (hose flies off or can breaks in half, not likely to happen if installed and maintained correctly) what is the risk to your engine?

If an OCC freezes up (they fill mostly with water in humid climates as shown in Tork's video, again not likely to happen if installed and maintained correctly) then it could get blocked and pressure could blow out some seals?

Conditions that contribute to lots of water in oil catch can.
1) high humidity
2) lots of short runs
3) warm air hitting cold OCC

All you desert folks are pretty much free and clear. My local climate is very high humidity in the summer and extreme cold in the winter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Please help clarify...

If an Oil Catch Can 'breaks' (hose flies off or can breaks in half, not likely to happen if installed and maintained correctly) what is the risk to your engine?

If an OCC freezes up (they fill mostly with water in humid climates as shown in Tork's video, again not likely to happen if installed and maintained correctly) then it could get blocked and pressure could blow out some seals?

1) high humidity
2) lots of short runs

All you desert folks are pretty much free and clear. My local climate is very high humidity in the summer and extreme cold in the winter.
Good questions that I also have being in similar climate. I’m interested in adding some things to the car and a SRI was on the list, but am getting a bit more weary seeing rec’s to add OCCs. Trying to add a little power but be able to still easily swap out if headed to dship.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Please help clarify...

1) high humidity
2) lots of short runs

Bump.
All research I've done points to this 'mod' being beneficial. Some car manufacturers even include similar functioning systems in their vehicles.

But I need some help. I'm trying to figure out the risks of either of the two OCC (or AirOilSeparator) system failures to the engine.
Are these two descriptions of the systems correct?
1) PVC to intake manifold
2) valve cover to air intake

The two failure modes I can think of, for either system, are A) 100% hose blockage and B) 100% hose breakage.
What are the effects of these two failures for these two systems?

1)A) The effect is ????
1)B) The effect is ????
2)A) The effect is ????
2)B) The effect is ????

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Are these two descriptions of the systems correct?
1) PVC to intake manifold
2) valve cover to air intake
Yes.

The two failure modes I can think of, for either system, are A) 100% hose blockage and B) 100% hose breakage.
What are the effects of these two failures for these two systems?

1)A) The effect is ????
1)B) The effect is ????
2)A) The effect is ????
2)B) The effect is ????
Zero effect on the valve cover to intake tube side.

PCV to intake manifold side, not sure. Might throw a code for something.

·
Registered
92 Posts
1 and 2 vent the pressure in your block. #1 vent by the base of the bloc and #2 on top of the cam cover.
the reason why #1 have a valve is because the intake is pressurize under boost and without this valve it will do the complete opposite of what it's built to do (reduce block pressure) under boost condition.
in the past engine only got 1 vent, since the oil gallery (where the oil come back to the oil pan) is a open port from bottom to top.
most engine now have 2 vent port to help remove any pressure in the block.

1)A) engine pressure increase, can lead to seal failure and rings
1)B) none filter air in your intake system
2)A) engine pressure increase, can lead to seal failure and rings
2)B) none filter air in your intake system and boost leak (could be worth, but we don't have MAF)

Reactions: kdetlor and Mathieu

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the 2018 Elantra Sport and I am new to all this Turbo stuff and was wondering this Oil Catch Can is it a must and is it easy to install by anyone?
Or is this something I not approved by Hyundai and needs to be removed before going to the dealership?
Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
blow back

voodoo,

I got more detail's according to my mechanic. Since our car is lower boost and overall power (200) the back pressure on the pcv side will shoot some while releasing pressure- but on this vehicle something lower than 400-500 hp at least the blow back doesn't reach the valve heads, instead it gets roughly half way up the pcv tubing which is the blow back people are gathering- thinking- they are catching it instead of going further. This this make sense. He says that if I were to get a bigger turbo I'd certainly need a OCC for the pcv side. But the manufacturers with cars like this can withstand a few extra hp and tq without getting monsterous amounts of blow back. Running higher octane gas is recommended.

He taught me some more about the combustion and how the pressure is distributed in the engine as well.

I even showed him your pic

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hooked up a mishimoto compact occ to the breather side and in the first month of driving a stock car picked up a little over a teaspoon of oil. I don't have an occ on the pcv side, yet.
Nice! I’m running with the larger Mishimoto OCC’s which I included a preview of my setup in the link below with a picture.

http://www.elantrasport.com/forum/84833-post8.html

At the time, I wish I didn’t share the picture since the setup wasn’t yet complete. You know the cans are doing their job...you can smell the blow by collected in the cans; at least I can when I’m parked in the garage.

I know at the point of sale the dealership filled it up with whatever was cheapest, and ever since that fill up, I’ve been using premium octane.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I hooked up a mishimoto compact occ to the breather side and in the first month of driving a stock car picked up a little over a teaspoon of oil. I don't have an occ on the pcv side, yet.
Nice! I’m running with the larger Mishimoto OCC’s which I included a preview of my setup in the link below with a picture.

http://www.elantrasport.com/forum/84833-post8.html

At the time, I wish I didn’t share the picture since the setup wasn’t yet complete. You know the cans are doing their job...you can smell the blow by collected in the cans; at least I can when I’m parked in the garage.

I know at the point of sale the dealership filled it up with whatever was cheapest, and ever since that fill up, I’ve been using premium octane.
Here are the pics of mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here are the pics of mine.
Sweet! That must be one real PITA to empty your breather side can...unless you attached a flick drain line. I would worry your line with the foam sleeve might start to melt. I tapped into the PCV side the exact same way using the factory line into the custom line.

I have the strut tower brace from Pierce Motorsport; point being...there’s no way I could have mounted my cans there and easily have access to empty them. I’ll have to keep a look out for any future mods you add /or just private message me when you add something.

Will you eventually add an aftermarket intake? I’m doubtful you will since your breather side can looks to be a permanent setup, but I still wanted to ask.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.