Elantra Sport Forum banner

Almost two weeks in...

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr Popo 
#1 ·
Dislikes...
- road/tire noise is really excessive. The single thing that really annoys me. Same with all seasons on original rims and winter tires on steel rims.
- cheap plastics. I didn't think this would bother me since I've had more than my fair share of economy cars in the past, but it kind of does bother me... just a bit.
- stereo is bad. I knew this going in. I really wanted a 2018 Sport, and the only way to get one here was to get one that the dealer had. They were all base models. Not really a big deal. My taste in music is not for public consumption anyway. LOL.
- fit and finish of the back corner trim of the back window is poor. The chrome doesn't quite line up with the piece in front of it. Same on both sides.
- dealer maintenance dept: lack of care with my new vehicle. Put my all season tires and rims on the back seat. In bags, yes, but it would make much more sense to put the back seat down. They got rust dust on my back seat and door trim. And putting the seat down would have given them a more forgiving surface to lay things on. Also, can't prove it, but I think they scratched the paint off on the edge between the front wing and hood. Only way I can see it would have been possible to scratch the paint where it is, would be with the hood open, and I haven't even opened it yet.
- lack of storage. I know its a small car, but there really is not many places to put things like my parking lot swipe card.
- Apple Carplay seems pretty glitchy.

...Likes
- Love the look of the car. Good colour (iron grey), great body shape. Looks great at all angles.
- Love the power. The most powerful car I've owned by a long way. Not sure why people say its not enough. Very agile.
- Love the handling. Coming from a wallowy Santa Fe, this really is something special, especially on the twisties.
- Love the seats. Perfect fit for me... nice and supportive. Was worried not to have adjustable lumber support, but seat is so supportive I don't think I'll miss it.
- Like the exhaust sound.
- Like the interior layout... would just like a bit more storage.

Looking forward getting past my first 1000km so I can really find out what it can do.

See less See more
#3 ·
Glad to hear you like it on the whole.

AS for some of your points, the plastics are pretty meh but honestly I like the way they look, and I never really touch them so it's something that quickly faded to obscurity in my mind. I found the stock stereo downright 'decent', but saw fit to change all the speakers and add a self-contained amp/sub, much clearer now with more bass obviously and all the stereo I need. I've found storage ok, but I guess I don't really need much, but conversely, the trunk is quite large IMO for a 'small' car.

I agree with all of your likes except it seems to Australian market car gets a different exhaust setup because it does not sound as good as the USDM car. I love the power and the way it drives too, always after more power though, a tune is on the cards sooner or later, and definitely looking forward to better tyres at least on the front. It never snows here so I will be looking at high-performance summer tyres for year-round driving, likely Michelin Pilot sport 4 at this rate.

#6 ·
Glad to hear you like it on the whole.

AS for some of your points, the plastics are pretty meh but honestly I like the way they look, and I never really touch them so it's something that quickly faded to obscurity in my mind.
I'm sure it will for me too. For me, it's not the door plastics, which always seem to get the rap in reviews. It's the centre console that looks and feels extra cheap.

I found the stock stereo downright 'decent', but saw fit to change all the speakers and add a self-contained amp/sub, much clearer now with more bass obviously and all the stereo I need.
I won't be making any mods to mine. Too old for that. It'll be something of an effort just to keep it clean. :D

I've found storage ok, but I guess I don't really need much, but conversely, the trunk is quite large IMO for a 'small' car.
Trunk is okay. I actually wanted a small trunk so stuff doesn't roll around in it. I know its sad (hey, I'm 50), but I love the trunk space in my wife's Soul, for things like groceries. Just the right fit. I'm a photographer, and I was surprised that I had to put the back seat down to fit a 53" backdrop roll, but that's not a big deal for me. I only ever had dogs on the back seat of my Santa Fe, I'm sure it'll be the same for the ES.

#4 ·
I've owned an AMG and Audi S models for the past decade so my expectations were low when shopping for a more practical, reliable vehicle - the ES has far exceeded my expectations.

It's the slowest car I've driven in a long time but the power isn't lethargic - it's actually quite sufficient to be honest with you. I actually felt a noticeable difference after getting Michelin Pilot Sports. Rowing my own gears again is so refreshing. It really is more fun to drive a "slow" car fast vs. driving a fast car slow. I do miss the on-demand overtaking power on-tap from 80-120mph though, but that isn't something I do very often. =D

You should have got the premium pkg - I can't even raise the sound level to 15 without hurting my ears lol.

#5 ·
It's the slowest car I've driven in a long time but the power isn't lethargic - it's actually quite sufficient to be honest with you. I actually felt a noticeable difference after getting Michelin Pilot Sports.
I sold my Santa Fe with the original tires on it, seven years later. I hope I'll get through a few sets of all seasons on the ES, and I'll look out for the Michelin Pilot Sports when I do.

Rowing my own gears again is so refreshing. It really is more fun to drive a "slow" car fast vs. driving a fast car slow. I do miss the on-demand overtaking power on-tap from 80-120mph though, but that isn't something I do very often. =D
Interestingly, you never see a cop on the road here when you need one, but there are quite a few unmarked cars, and they often do sting ops to crack down on highway speeding. Seems to work, because it's rare to see anyone doing more than about 120km/h (highest speed limit here is 100km/h). Anyway, I feel my insurance is high enough, considering I'm 20+ years accident free, never had a speeding ticket or any other violation. I certainly didn't buy the ES for its speed. More its low end acceleration, which is certainly adequate, especially in Sport mode.

You should have got the premium pkg - I can't even raise the sound level to 15 without hurting my ears lol.
Wasn't an option. They were unable to order any new 2018's, and all they had were base models. It did sadden me a little, although I don't think you get much for the $1500CDN premium. When you look at what you'd get for $2000CDN on the GT Sport, its significantly more stuff for the money.

GT Sport was actually my first choice, but they're rarer than a unicorn here. Dealer could never get them in. I prefer the interior and exterior of the Sport over the GT Sport, but a hatchback would have been more practical, no question. This is my first sedan since I got rid of a Chevy Cavalier back in 2007.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.