Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Like some here, I have avoided doing an OCC setup with the thought that I do not want any potential warranty issues. I am about to do my 2nd oil change and am considering doing an application of the CRC Intake/Turbo Cleaner as well.

It says that its "turbo safe" and by the instructions can be introduced pre-turbo in the intake tract (just after the air filter). I am curious as to if there should be any concerns doing it this way--of if its better to introduce the product post turbo--and if so, where in the intake tract is ideal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Be very careful when using this because it is flammable and can cause backfire into the intake manifold. If you are going to do it pre turbo make sure the car is held around 3k RPM and use the whole can do not let it die or hit the rev limiter.
OK--thanks. That jives with CRC's instructions as well--whole can 2500RPM. My main concern is that there will be no damage to the turbo impeller blades by going with a pre-turbo application.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There shouldnt be I would be very surprised if there was. Just use the whole can hold the rpm steady and hold it for a few minutes after the can is complete.

There's lots of "noise" on some other forums about it being a bad idea etc. CRC says anywhere downstream of MAF is ok...and we have MAP, so that's not a concern.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just cracked 10K miles and am going to get a can of this--I think.

Where would be the best place to introduce this to the intake stream--is the intake tube off the air filter box adequate?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Anyone else try this product? Curious to see if others think this is snake oil or actually worth doing. I am with OP and would rather do some preventative maintenance vs run into issues later on down the road

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Anyone else try this product? Curious to see if others think this is snake oil or actually worth doing. I am with OP and would rather do some preventative maintenance vs run into issues later on down the road
It's definitely not snake oil. Here's the only variable that could possibly be an issue:

A lot of these intake tract cleaners will deposit some residue in any oil that it comes in to contact with. Any contaminates in the oil can increase the risk of knock/super knock. It is definitely better to run catch cans and clean the intake valves with walnut shells ever 30 - 40k miles or so. However, if this is something that you do just make sure you do it before you change the oil and then change the oil within 24 hours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great info! I’ll plan to do this around a 10k oil 2nd change per my local Hyundai tech. I’d rather spend the money doing this and not install a catch can personally, though I see the logic and think they do indeed work

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.