Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is the 2nd time I have taken car to dealer since buying it last month. Last time was to have the tint installed, I come back and the MPG readout was lowered by 3-4 mpg, kinda tells me they were out hot-rodding it. This was with 3xx miles on it.

Just took it in today to have some sticky material removed from the body of the car, looks like they didn't remove it properly before handing the keys and I didn't notice until recently. Unfortunately I didn't check the miles on the odometer but had 33.4 mpg on my readout when I brought it in, had 29.8 when I left. I did see them driving rather fast into the back parking lot of the dealership minutes before handing me the keys.

Salesman said he doesn't think they were hot-rodding it. He said they could have left it idling while they removed the material and washed my car, but I don't trust dealers for ****. Thing that bugs me is I haven't even did a WOT since buying the car as I'm waiting until 1k miles for the DCT to break-in. Also leaving car idling for 30 minutes while you clean it is stupid and also shouldn't be happening.

I'm waiting on a call from the GM right now to discuss. Should I be worried about anything? Car has 950 miles on it as of today.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That it was left idling makes perfect sense to me. I've had about a dozen different cars tinted in the past 10 years all at the same local shop. The one time they didn't let the car idle while they did something, they killed the battery (and then jumped it - a Mercedes E350 - and turned the dash into a Christmas tree but that's another story).

If the mileage IN/OUT didn't vary the idle story is perfectly believable to me based on my experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I had a dash cam in my Mazdaspeed 3 and forgot to take the mount off when I traded it in. I'll need to see if I can get a replacement mount.

Yeah I didn't freaking check to see what the mileage was when I brought it in, my fault on that one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine drops quickly when it's idling so it's rather feasible to me.

If you don't trust that dealership, go somewhere else. Talking to GMs over the fact that your gas mileage indicator lowered while the car was being serviced is going to result in you having quite the reputation at a dealership and, like in the restaurant industry, that's not something you want. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just pointing it out as an FYI should it be something you continue to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine drops quickly when it's idling so it's rather feasible to me.

If you don't trust that dealership, go somewhere else. Talking to GMs over the fact that your gas mileage indicator lowered while the car was being serviced is going to result in you having quite the reputation at a dealership and, like in the restaurant industry, that's not something you want. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just pointing it out as an FYI should it be something you continue to do.
Yeah, well like I said I saw them flying into the parking lot on the side of the building. I just have a hard time trusting dealerships.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you buy it from a Hyundai dealership? Definitely wouldn't expect to have to worry about you're car being driven hard prematurely when taking it for simple maintenance. You could also just set up a trip on the odometer when you're dropping it off. Not sure why they need to drive it around at all, if its not getting an oil/tire change. It's perfectly fine for you to discuss your concerns, but its best not to blame/assume anything without proof. Creating a good relationship with your dealer will make a huge impact on your enjoyment of the car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, well like I said I saw them flying into the parking lot on the side of the building. I just have a hard time trusting dealerships.
I work at a dealership. While I can understand your lack of trust, even though it hurts my few remaining feelings, it is fairly common practice to leave a vehicle running when getting tint. I've actually had it happen to myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts