Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked my es a week ago and haven't raced or stepped on it. (Not broken in yet) but was wondering if anyone has gotten any good runs in? Also how long is engine break in? Owners Manuel says 600 but seems to soon. Right?

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
So far I beat a fiat abarth and a 2010 si. I also beat one of the older v6 accords. All of them were stock as far as I know. The abarth had an intake and that was about it. I raced all of these cars when I was completely stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
AutoXed it.

Did my first autocross with it. I was way better than I was. lol My times were in the 2/3 of the times that were run. The car must have worked well as it was not my abilities that stopped me from being totally last. This was running against modified cars with experienced drivers and some rookies. Good time by the way. Just don't let Hyundai know you are autocrossing as it will void warranty in most locals.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I beat my friend's Kia Forte 5 SX Turbo (Auto) in a 0-120. Both cars had the same mods. Sedan aero came into effect around the 90 MPH mark.
I also have beat another friend's VT multiple times in 0-70 runs. DCT vs Manual really makes a difference there.

I'm also the one with the 14.65 time in the quarter mile, although my launch and 60 ft. were atrocious. I'm going back on Sunday (30th) to try beating my old time. I have, since that previous run, added a 60mm throttle body. I have a catless downpipe on order, and I will head to the dyno after that is installed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I played with a WRX and held it until about 50. Im trying to convince my friend to have a go at his Challenger. I figure his heavy body and the smaller V6 could be beat or at least held off for a bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I played with a WRX and held it until about 50. Im trying to convince my friend to have a go at his Challenger. I figure his heavy body and the smaller V6 could be beat or at least held off for a bit.
This car will stomp all over a Challenger or Charger V6 if you have a couple of bolt on upgrades.

I was able to outrun a V6 charger from 20 MPH... while I was in 3rd the whole time. Those things are gutless tanks.

Reactions: Mohkx

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely not a race, but I did get a double take out of a Boxster S driver when I managed to catch him on some of the fun roads around here! I was hoping the guy would pull over where I did and we could chat for a minute, but he continued on his way. I'm growing awfully fond of the baby Q-ship!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My list of wins and losses in the game "Who can merge onto the freeway going the speed limit first, without breaking any laws"

Left in the dust:
(Multiple)2.5 Mazda 3
2.5 Mazda 6
Non turbo fiat 500 (lol)
Veloster turbo
08ish civic SI
Early 00s mustang GT, manual
BMW 428 x drive (barely)
Newer Nissan Maxima
Scion TC
Newer Hemi Dodge Ram
A bunch of other insignificant slow cars

"Draws"
My friends 2012 GTI DSG (3 times, dead even)
6.0 Pontiac GTO (???? Altitude?)

Merged in front of me:
Autobiography Range Rover
Older WRX with Cobb sticker
Loud Mazdaspeed3
Heckin loud probably modified 2015+ Jetta 1.8t
Porsche macan
C7 Corvette (duh)

I have the 7 speed, also being at 5000ish ft elevation the turbo helps a lot. Definitely not the fastest or most powerful car, but it's just quick enough to be fun and surprise people.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My list of wins and losses in the game "Who can merge onto the freeway going the speed limit first, without breaking any laws"

Left in the dust:
(Multiple)2.5 Mazda 3
2.5 Mazda 6
Non turbo fiat 500 (lol)
Veloster turbo
08ish civic SI
BMW 428 x drive (barely)
Newer Nissan Maxima
Scion TC
Newer Hemi Dodge Ram

"Draws"

Merged in front of me:
Loud Mazdaspeed3
Porsche macan
C7 Corvette (duh)

I have the 7 speed, also being at 5000ish ft elevation the turbo helps a lot. Definitely not the fastest or most powerful car, but it's just quick enough to be fun and surprise people.
You beat a VT which is the same exact plant, but couple hundred lbs lighter? :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ive pulled on a newer v6 challenger twice on the highway, pulled up behind him in a passing lane he dropped a few gears i dropped into 4th started to pass him then he looked over and put on the breaks. Only mods i know of on his car was at least an exhaust and all I have is a resonator delete and bpv taken off the intake.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Left in the dust:
(Multiple)2.5 Mazda 3
2.5 Mazda 6
Non turbo fiat 500 (lol)
Veloster turbo
08ish civic SI
BMW 428 x drive (barely)
Newer Nissan Maxima
Scion TC
Newer Hemi Dodge Ram

"Draws"

Merged in front of me:
Loud Mazdaspeed3
Porsche macan
C7 Corvette (duh)

You beat a VT which is the same exact plant, but couple hundred lbs lighter?
It was a manual, I'm in a DCT. Also it's been mentioned that the Elantra has a different turbo and completely different engine tune/timing etc. Acceleration times from magazines usually show the Elantra sport being slightly faster in 0-60 and quarter mile.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The GTO was not racing you.
I promise he was. He even rolled down his window and asked me what my car was at a stoplight. It was very loud and sounded fantastic. However I can't promise his car was in perfect running condition. Even with the altitude and weight disadvantage that car should still be putting Around 300hp to the wheels. I imagine the cats were clogged with carbon or something.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
It should be putting more like 350 to the wheels as those cars are 400 HP at the crank. Maybe even closer to 365 - 370. Granted, they are 3700 lbs, but they would still eat your lunch if they gave even the most minimal amount of effort.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It should be putting more like 350 to the wheels as those cars are 400 HP at the crank. Maybe even closer to 365 - 370. Granted, they are 3700 lbs, but they would still eat your lunch if they gave even the most minimal amount of effort.
A Google search shows a stock gto dyno sheet peaking anywhere from 320 to 350whp. Minus 15% for altitude puts it anywhere between 270 and 300. Even so that car is carrying far less pounds per horsepower leaving me with the conclusion that something was wrong with it. Poor guy didn't even seem to know.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts