Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering changing the look of my stock wheels before I put them back on ( winter wheels still on). I've seen you tube videos of people plastic dipping their rims, but haven't noticed any elantra sports yet. Another option would be to wrap them. This is of course, the cheaper route to go when you can't afford new rims but want a different look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did mine last summer. It wasn’t too difficult. I never did it before but the kit comes with all you need. The only thing is now the edges of my front wheels are peeling. I’m not sure if it’s something I did wrong or the fact that the front wheels are subject to more air resistance due to the wheels turning left and right? Either way I’m not sure it can be fixed. I’ll have to strip them and start over it seems. So all in all mine lasted about 6 months. Here’s a pic while I was doing the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
I did mine last summer. It wasn’t too difficult. I never did it before but the kit comes with all you need. The only thing is now the edges of my front wheels are peeling. I’m not sure if it’s something I did wrong or the fact that the front wheels are subject to more air resistance due to the wheels turning left and right? Either way I’m not sure it can be fixed. I’ll have to strip them and start over it seems. So all in all mine lasted about 6 months. Here’s a pic while I was doing the job.
Road debris contributes to the acceleration of the peeling effect, especially on the front wheels. Only way to reduce this is really laying it on thick around the rim edge, but that only does so much, just a side effect of the product and the usage area unfortunately.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How was the coverage between the spokes? Was there build up on the front edges? I had an Impreza that I spray bombed the wheels black, and found it was a little difficult to get even coverage between the spokes. Looks like you went with matte black. I saw a video of someone using a glossifier over matte black to give it a gloss black look.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Coverage was pretty smooth throughout considering it was my first time. No noticeable buildup at all. The hardest part is the wheel edge. If you look at the edge of the wheel where the tire meets up, there’s a difficult little lip to get good coverage on. Hard to explain but if the tire was off the wheel it would be a better job for sure. Yes I used a matte finish but did see the option to add the gloss over it. Maybe had I done that it would have held up a little longer?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many cans did you end up using for all 4 wheels? I live in Winnipeg and going to Fargo in a couple of days. They are selling plasti-dip at Menards for $4.99. It costs $25.00 a can here!

·
Registered
46 Posts
The kit came with 4 cans. They recommend 4-5 coats per wheel. I did 4 coats, using the same can for all 4 wheels and then opening a new can each time. When I was done there was definitely more in each can. I think 4 cans is plenty to do these wheels.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Dude, I jumped through the hoops to get the password for this account back just to say holy shitballs. Looks reeeeally good man. I planned on sanding and painting them myself when i finally get one (ended up buying a house instead)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I'm pretty happy how it turned out. You don't need to sand the wheels if your using plast-dip. If your referring to the calipers, I used caliper cleaner and an old toothbrush, then wiped them down with a clean rag and rubbing alcohol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Plasti Dip is an easy and fast way to change up the wheels , emblems etc but it usually does not hold up more than 6-12 months and than you are doing it over, depending on the driving conditions less.

if your looking for a easier way than painting and clear coating them or powdercoating look into Autodip - The World' First Sprayable Vinyl Wrap
it is a spray vinyl that is much more durable than plasti dip but just as easy to use.

Ive found after playing with 3-4 cars in the last few years it is in the long run easier to do the extra work and paint them as long s you are sure of the color you want. Dupli Color has wheel and caliper paint that works great. They have a 2 step black chrome paint that is good looking and lasts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.