Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my first auto cross this evening. OMFG, anyone who has not tried this should. The ES performed well. It is better than I am. My times improved with each run and I know that it was my mistakes and not the car. I have allot to learn. I would like to here any opinions from some else who has done this in a different car and is now using the ES.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'd like to do this soon myself. I'll have our rear sway bar prototype tomorrow and I'm very curious how it's going to change the dynamics of the car.
I've autocrossed a long time ago and it was fun. I'd like to do a before/after on a course to get a feel for everything.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glad you liked it--it's a great way to have some "legal" fun with your car, meet some cool people and most imprtantly learn to be a better driver. "Drag Racing is for fast cars, Autocrossing is for fast drivers."

If your region has an autocross school, take it--you will learn a lot. Also, when at events don't be afraid to ask questions--old guys like me love to pass on our "wisdom".

This is my "office" when I get to autocross--which has been limited recently due to doing "dad" stuff with my boys...

Reactions: SXTH-Element

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I've got some background with autocross but it wasn't official SCCA stuff, just a local guy running it in a small town. Started with my 2000 Nissan Sentra SE (w/performance package - LSD ftw) then moved along with my turbo Miata. Haven't done any in years though, but looking to get back into it this winter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just did my first auto cross this evening. OMFG, anyone who has not tried this should. The ES performed well. It is better than I am. My times improved with each run and I know that it was my mistakes and not the car. I have allot to learn. I would like to here any opinions from some else who has done this in a different car and is now using the ES.
Did you experience any "Delayed" throttle response or just flatly no-power when getting back on the throttle coming out of a turn or corner?

How hot was the ambient temperature at the event and long in-between your runs out on th course?

Thanks!
Luis

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you experience any "Delayed" throttle response or just flatly no-power when getting back on the throttle coming out of a turn or corner?

How hot was the ambient temperature at the event and long in-between your runs out on th course?

Thanks!
Luis
The temp was 24 degrees C (75.5 F) to start cooled to 20 C (68 F) by the end. Did two runs to start. My times Started with a 67 second and a off course. There was thirty minutes between my first two runs and my last three runs. The amount of time between runs was about ten minutes or so. Ran 40 psi front on stock tires 33 psi rear. Had some tire roll in the front. Will more than likely run 42 psi front next time. The tires say max psi 51. The front tires got hot. I did not notice any problems accelerating, as long as I did not hit the rev limiter. I could not look but don't believe my rpm's dropped below 2500 for most of the time. Hit the rev limiter once and the ES completely bogged out and lagged to recover. The car won't bounce of the limiter. It feels like hitting a snow drift. Just completely cut power. A good thing for saving the car. The engine temp stayed constant. The brakes had zero fade. Managed to shave a second off each of my last three runs so my best was around 64 seconds. The fastest time set by a modified S2000 was 52 and change. The worst was 89 seconds and change for the event. I was pleased with myself but failed to impress anyone, lol, which is OK as I was there for myself and shits and giggles. Keep in mind that this was my first time so was really consumed by the course so my observations are newbie based. More subtle observations would be missed by me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts