Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think the Kona trans and subframes would fit nicely in the elantra sport? Probly better than the satan fe.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Someone in my facebook group was going to do it, then a failed EBCS grenaded his engine and he gave up on the project. Plausible if you have the cash.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Think the Kona trans and subframes would fit nicely in the elantra sport? Probly better than the satan fe.
Just build a Kona AWD 1.6T, lowered 2 inches. If anything I would like to try Elantra GT N-Line front subframe to get to a proper roll center.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Elantra subframe in the Kona?
Yes, from what I can tell, the subframe on the Kona is a bit taller. I would get my roll center back at least in the front and there is a mid level chance it would work if the steering rack would have a place to fit, but that can be remedied somewhat quickly by welding something up. I have thought of TIG welding whole new mounting points for my inboard lower control arm mounting points to get a proper roll center back from lowering it 2 inches. I really don't have much bump steer at all, so I have not been as eager to go at it since it is a daily driver and I just don't have the "project" energy I did when I was younger. I am now 58 years old. Then, if I did the front I know I would have to pull the rear subframe and TIG weld up corrected control arm mounting points there too.

I started a project to lift my ball joints and get my roll center back in line, but I could not find a lowered tie rod end ( a certain aftermarket Subaru one was discontinued ) to match the 1.5 inch T6 triangle lifting block for the ball joint. I then would need some special rod ends and have to have machined up some custom rod end/tierod pins out of some special steel and get them shotpeened and heat treated. I just don't want to go there right now.

My Kona is running 2019 Elantra GT N-Line front and rear struts/shocks. The front perches are 1 inch lower and the shock tops are also 1 inch lower vs Kona struts and shocks and of course the dampening is a bit better too. (for the average driver the Kona dampening/Eibach's are adequate, for the street racer/autoX they are not) I was pleasantly surprised when I received them since I wanted the Kona lower then the Eibach's gave me on the Kona struts. I had to cut the rear springs 3/4 of a top "seating" coil to get it somewhat in line looks wise. I tow a small boat, so I need to keep some travel in the rear, otherwise I would lower the rear another 3/8 to1/2 of an inch.

Since I live in Minnesota and it is a daily driver I did not want coil overs with the massive salt we have, not to mention the price tag of $2,500 for a set that would dampen correctly. The cheap coil overs and even the $1,500 coil overs have worse damping characteristics, since you can't adjust compression.As you know, the N-Line struts were tuned at Nurburgring, and they are very well tuned and not over dampened like you would get if you went with a Bilstein Sport strut and shock on Minnesota bunged up roads.

I do want more spring rate though, that's were the coil overs would help me out. I still need to increase the rear rate with another half a spring rubber, but money is having to go else where for now. My Kona is now a direct copy handling wise of a late model VW Golf R in race mode, or just a hair better. Not bad for a Kona on a budget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts