Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for an upgrade over the stock tires. They arent bad but i feel there is better out there. However i know that it is difficult to find a tire that is all season and performance at the same time. But i dont want to buy summer tires and have to deal with swapping them out for the winter(s).

Any recommendations for all season tires that perform significantlly better than the stock tires?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Im looking for an upgrade over the stock tires. They arent bad but i feel there is better out there. However i know that it is difficult to find a tire that is all season and performance at the same time. But i dont want to buy summer tires and have to deal with swapping them out for the winter(s).

Any recommendations for all season tires that perform significantlly better than the stock tires?
Go to the Tire Rack and look at their test results. That said, by definition, "all-season" tires are OK at everything and truly good at nothing. If you find an all season tire that gives you better summer performance than the OE tire, it surely will be worse in winter as well. Pick your poison. Two sets of wheels with season dedicated tires is always the best way to maximize the performance of your car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the Continental DWS on my Focus ST and was not impressed. I was coming from the stock Eagle F1 summer tires which probably didn't help, but the Continentals felt way too soft for me. Turn in was very sloppy and the tires were noisy. Straight line traction was great though. I have heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S but they're $$$$.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I use to like them too, until Pirelli All season plus outperformed it in every single category.
Interesting. Last I checked (about 18 months ago) the Pirelli All Seasons just weren't that great and the DWS 06s beat them out in almost every category. I guess I need to take a peek at Pirelli again.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I had the Continental DWS on my Focus ST and was not impressed. I was coming from the stock Eagle F1 summer tires which probably didn't help, but the Continentals felt way too soft for me. Turn in was very sloppy and the tires were noisy. Straight line traction was great though. I have heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S but they're $$$$.
If you think the DWS was noisy, then don't get the Pilot Sports. Noisiest tire I have ever had on a car aside from winter studded tires, and they were near worthless in anything but dry weather. Even a tiny bit of moisture on the pavement and they wanted to slide all over the place. And the treadlife... you'll be lucky to get 25k out of them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you think the DWS was noisy, then don't get the Pilot Sports. Noisiest tire I have ever had on a car aside from winter studded tires, and they were near worthless in anything but dry weather. Even a tiny bit of moisture on the pavement and they wanted to slide all over the place. And the treadlife... you'll be lucky to get 25k out of them.
I think the reason I was so disappointed was how awesome the Eagle F1's were in the handling department. I did not understand that even though the DWS were rated highly as an all-season, they do not compare to even a crappy summer tire at all as far as performance.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I think the reason I was so disappointed was how awesome the Eagle F1's were in the handling department. I did not understand that even though the DWS were rated highly as an all-season, they do not compare to even a crappy summer tire at all as far as performance.
Pretty much no all season will perform as well as a performance summer tire. Performance summer tires are the best performance you can get.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pretty much no all season will perform as well as a performance summer tire. Performance summer tires are the best performance you can get.
The ST was the first car I owned with summer tires. Needless to say I was super impressed. The handling was so sharp and precise, but the ride quality and wear was terrible to say the least and they were like driving on hockey pucks at temps below 45*F. I know, I complain a lot...

·
Registered
133 Posts
I always preferred the Bridgestone RE960AS on my 07 Civic Si. I'll probably try those on the ES when it's time to change the stock tires out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did the switch to Dunlop Signature HP tires as I was disappointed with the stock tires road noise, and these tires have had good reviews about that. Couldn't be happier, and noticed the difference right away. Same size, same Ultra High Performance AS. I saw on Tire Rack's survey the Dunlops were higher rated in every category.

I also used 2 layers of FatMat (about 6 lbs. weight added) in the exposed trunk area, which also improved the car.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did the switch to Dunlop Signature HP tires as I was disappointed with the stock tires road noise, and these tires have had good reviews about that. Couldn't be happier, and noticed the difference right away. Same size, same Ultra High Performance AS. I saw on Tire Rack's survey the Dunlops were higher rated in every category.

I also used 2 layers of FatMat (about 6 lbs. weight added) in the exposed trunk area, which also improved the car.
Aside from road noise is there any difference in the way they perform and handle?

·
Registered
188 Posts
The DWS06 is probably the best tire for what you're looking for (I always factor in snow performance). That said, the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" exists for a reason. It doesn't stand a chance against a true performance tire.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry Wolf_Speed, didn't get informed of your reply, but I got one for n0thing's reply? Anyway, I don't notice a difference in handling. The Tire Rack survey suggests they will be better, but who knows.

Agreed that a performance tire will be way better, especially R rated track tires that have little tread and are very fast wearing. Years ago, I used to run them on track and also on the street, which isn't recommended obviously. However they are so sticky they even worked OK in light rain conditions despite being near slicks. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts