Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the torque app and am monitoring boost, coolant temp, and intake temp.

I have seen as high as 19 lbs of boost this fall when the temperatures were in the mid 50s to low 60s, but it usually peaks around 17 lbs.

Lately it's been in the 20s and 30s here in MN and it's peaking at 16 lbs. What I don't understand is why it would be lower when the air intake temp seems perfect at 60-70 degrees and the coolant temp around 175. Seems optimal to me, so it has to be some other measurement.

Does the ECU limit boost based on outside ambient air temp? Or oil temp? Can't monitor oil temp, so I don't know, but I do know coolant heats up faster than oil.

Another thing I noticed with this car is that when it's colder, but not that cold, if it sits at a stoplight, the temp gauge actually goes DOWN. I've noticed this before in other cars, but only when it's REALLY cold, like 15 below. Seems like the Hyundai thermostat might need a little fine tuning.

This little engine doesn't seem to be able to keep itself warm unless the turbo is spinning and it's not even "cold" yet here in MN. Going to be interesting to see the intake temps this winter going 80 mph down the freeway when it's 15 below zero.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I noticed something similar on colds days. I would 'warm up' the motor for about 2 minutes at idle. Once going the temp would VERY slowly raise, then dip again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
car doesnt need as much boost to make the same or a little more power than when its warm outside. my srt did the same thing. how to get around that. you would have to get some sort of boost controller. i has the same question in 2012 and this was the basic answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.