Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I figured I'd go ahead and make a build thread for my car. Feel free to ask any questions.

Mods so far:

Sxth Element Short Ram Intake
Upgraded HIDs to 6000K Osram 66140 CBH
Muffler and resonator delete
JNC 042 18x8.5 +35 wheels with stock tires
15% window tint all around, 30% windshield
Debaged and blacked out Hyundai logo

Mods on the way:

Sxth Element catless downpipe
Coilovers - I'll say the brand once they're on the car. ;)

First Step:

Buy the car.

I purchased the car on 3/27/17. Here are a couple of photos from the day I got it.

Shortly after, I had the muffler and resonator deleted. I don't have photos from the day I got it but I took some when I was getting my wheels put on. It sounds amazing. I can't wait till I get my catless downpipe.

I was quite sad that the car didn't come with LED turn signals standard so I upgrade the front and rear to LEDs. The installation isn't very hard at all.

Stock:

Next was to remove the badges and black out the Hyundai logo. I was unsure about this at first but I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Rather than dipping the original logo, I went ahead and bought a new one from Hyundai and used a can of AutoDip to black it out. Came out super clean.

I tried to wrap the DRLs with red film but didn't like how it looked so that came off pretty quickly. Here's how it looked.

Next up is the Sxth Element Short Ram Intake. I'm very happy with it. Installation was super easy and it sounds awesome. 10/10 product.

Shortly after that, I decided to upgrade my HIDs to 6000K Osram 66140 CBH. The difference in color is subtle but I'm really happy with them. Note: it requires removing the bumper if you were interested in doing this.

Stock:

Osram 66140CBH:

The most recent mod has been wheels. JNC 042 18x8.5 +35. Some will hate that they're "reps" but that's fine by me. :)

Catless downpipe and coilovers should be arriving in the next couple of weeks. I'll update the thread once those are put on. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Love build threads and you're definitely going the direction that one would make. Can definitely anticipate the hate for the reps as you can imagine though ;)

I can only imagine how loud that would be when it's essentially straight piped though. Going to need a sound clip !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Has your speedo been impacted by those wheels? I know sometimes that can be the case but given your setup i'm thinking there's a 50/50 chance of that happening.

Any plans to improve braking?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Really digging the turn signals! I haven't paid attention to how the stock ones look, but that orange glow is sick. My only concern is the blinking rate usually speeds up when going to led bulbs since there is less resistance. Did you notice that?

I like the wheel choice! I don't care if they are replicas or original as long as you don't label them as authentic which is when you get the hate. I kinda wish I got mine in silver too. Black rims only look good under direct light. They look boring and cheap at night or in the shadow. Silver wheels always look good if done properly.

Overall, the look of your car is classy and clean so far. I imagine it sounds like a race car. I couldn't handle the muffler delete for more than a minute, the last thing I thought of was to remove the resonator as well. But if you like that, it's a super cheap way to add more life to the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Dunham I should have the downpipe installed by next weekend so I'll have a sound clip soon. It's going to be loud lol.

@KDMSpecial I haven't noticed a difference in the speed. There probably is a slight difference but it's very subtle. Maybe 1 MPH at most. I may improve braking in the future but it's not a concern right now. I don't track the car so I have no need for amazing braking power at the moment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@TheShaddix The LEDs will blink fast if you don't have resistors on them. I installed resistors and they function just like normal. No warning lights and no hyperflash as they call it. I don't like black wheels either - they hide the design too much. I wanted high contrast between the black paint and the wheels.

I really like the exhaust but I want more turbo noise so I'm opting to do the downpipe. I really don't care about the volume, it makes it more fun to drive. Ask me that in 10 years and I'll probably have a different opinion lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That turbo spool sound you hear coming out of the exhaust, usually on cars with downpipes, etc, it's addicting for sure! I would say it is the nicest sound you get out of a turbo car plus the bov sound. When I removed the muffler and resonator on my Fiesta st it had that sound every time you rev up, but only when standing behind the car. Couldn't hear any of it from the inside. Looking forward to hearing your car when you get the downpipe.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wheels look great. I'd love to hear your car before and after the downpipe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Front:

Rear:

I'm installing coilovers this weekend. I'm hoping I can camber them in enough to tuck a little, but we'll see.

Reactions: CoolRonZ

·
Registered
229 Posts
With the turn signal LEDs, can you link the lights and resistors you ended up using? Im liking the contrast with the silver and black. All black and murdered out Im not sure how it'd come off with this car. I see you've got rain by you. Any plans on putting in rain guards on your windows?

Also, what exactly does the short ram do? Im not all that familiar with these things.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Coilovers are here. :)

Install this weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the turn signal LEDs, can you link the lights and resistors you ended up using? Im liking the contrast with the silver and black. All black and murdered out Im not sure how it'd come off with this car. I see you've got rain by you. Any plans on putting in rain guards on your windows?

Also, what exactly does the short ram do? Im not all that familiar with these things.

LEDs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PHRU5C4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Resistors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A77U122/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't plan on doing rain guards. I never liked the look of them.

The short ram intake just allows the turbo to suck in more air versus stock. You'll gain 10-20 WHP and it makes a really cool sound when you're accelerating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coilovers are installed! They are Wasp Racing coilovers and I ordered them from Powershift Inc. Install was super easy.

Reactions: birdman

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I haven't updated this thread in a while. Quite a bit has changed.

Finally got the downpipe installed. Sxth did a great job with this catless downpipe. Also had the 2nd cat removed at the same time. Sounds killer. Photos and videos below.

Took the car to a dyno session shortly after. Car made 185 WHP and 207 TQ. Florida heat really hurt me there.

Shortly after I got those wheels, I sold them and purchased some Niche Misano M116 18x8 +40. I think they look great.

Recently I had Sxth Element Engineering make me an HKS BOV flange and it came out great. Sounds amazing.

Next, I used gloss black vinyl to black out the chrome pieces under the windows. It didn't come out perfect but overall I like it. I'm probably going to have it professionally done at some point.

That's pretty much everything that has happened to this date. Once more mods are released I'll buy them. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts