Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the modding world, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm looking into getting the SXTH short ram intake system. My primary goals are power/throttle response and increased fuel economy. If a cool "pssh" sound comes with these things, then great, if not then no worries as this is just a neat thing. Should I get the BPV or the BPV delete, the OEM breather or the breather delete kit, and why?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the same boat, there are 4 different configurations, I don't understand what the deletes do exactly and I've heard people saying one of the deletes can be hard on your turbo, I want to do a catch can to stop exhaust gunk getting back into my intake, I have figured out that much, but I still don't understand which configuration to order to accomplish that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here on the catch can, I know i'm getting one of those. SXTH has some catch cans for the sport, but $330 seems pricey. I've reached out to SXTH about the best options for my priorities, and they said that it is essentially the same thing, but everything on the internet says otherwise, which is why I wanted to ask the knowledgeable folks on here. To their credit, they were kind and responded quickly. I just don't understand why you would have multiple configurations for the sport if they are the same thing. Hopefully someone knows the correct answer and can explain it in a way that my dumb brain can follow.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
BPV delete just lets the stock bypass valve vent to atmosphere. It is LOUD. If you like it that way, go for it. I personally still have the stock BPV recirculating into my SXTH intake and the sound is still clearly audible but toned down a bit and IMO the sound quality is better.

Breather delete will remove the vent tube from the valve cover to the intake. Deleting it means you will either run a small breather filter off the valve cover, or run it to a catch can. With that said I know several people running a dual catch can system and none of them have seen any significant amount of liquid from the breather in their can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BPV delete just lets the stock bypass valve vent to atmosphere. It is LOUD. If you like it that way, go for it. I personally still have the stock BPV recirculating into my SXTH intake and the sound is still clearly audible but toned down a bit and IMO the sound quality is better.

Breather delete will remove the vent tube from the valve cover to the intake. Deleting it means you will either run a small breather filter off the valve cover, or run it to a catch can. With that said I know several people running a dual catch can system and none of them have seen any significant amount of liquid from the breather in their can.
Ok, so from their website it sounds like I go w/: Breather Setup = Breather Delete Kit, Pipe Configuration & Color: BPV in *. Correct?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm new to the modding world, so sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm looking into getting the SXTH short ram intake system. My primary goals are power/throttle response and increased fuel economy. If a cool "pssh" sound comes with these things, then great, if not then no worries as this is just a neat thing. Should I get the BPV or the BPV delete, the OEM breather or the breather delete kit, and why?
In my opinion if you want a bit more power and throttle response get an intake of your preference (heat wrap it, it gets very hot under the hood), replace the restrictive oem tork tube with an aftermarket one from either tork motorsports or Sxth they’re $20 (sweet turbo noise and smooth air flow), breather delete and highly recommend a catch can for the pcv side. If you want the bov discharge noise just remove the bpv hose or do an aftermarket bov if you have the funds. I am currently running an hks ssqv, mac bov solenoid, aftermarket tork tube, aem “cai” (heat wrapped), pierce motorsports exhaust delete (stock one easily weighs 30lbs) and a lab3 uncle chip piggyback tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
...replace the restrictive oem tork tube...
Intercooler resonator. /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

...and a lab3 uncle chip piggyback tune.
Not available as far as I am aware? Lap3 tune is a full ECU replacement.
Here’s the link to it. If you look at my attached photo it’s tucked in between my battery on the right hand side. ( it’s silver)
https://www.k5optimastore.com/produ...utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=map&ref=yotpo_8

·
Registered
2,958 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
To be honest with the basic mods that I have done to the car and the chip I’m at the point where my stock intercooler can’t handle the flow efficiently and am getting turbo flutter under partial acceleration and it’s clearly audible. Intercooler upgrade suggested if you plan on running it hard.

·
Registered
288 Posts
To be honest with the basic mods that I have done to the car and the chip I’m at the point where my stock intercooler can’t handle the flow efficiently and am getting turbo flutter under partial acceleration and it’s clearly audible. Intercooler upgrade suggested if you plan on running it hard.
Lol a new intercooler isn’t going to help with that. The stock BPV is just trash. Unless you mean the BPV just triggers early under partial, which is nothing because that’s just how sensitive the stock BPV and solenoid is.

And unless you’re getting turbo flutter under WOT or hard acceleration when letting off, it’s not a big deal. Turbo flutter at very low rpm/low boost isn’t that bad

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lol a new intercooler isn’t going to help with that. The stock BPV is just trash. Unless you mean the BPV just triggers early under partial, which is nothing because that’s just how sensitive the stock BPV and solenoid is.

And unless you’re getting turbo flutter under WOT or hard acceleration when letting off, it’s not a big deal. Turbo flutter at very low rpm/low boost isn’t that bad
I don't have the stock BPV nor solenoid i changed that within a week of having the car. I'm running a mac solenoid and HKS bov. I've had my car for about 2 months now and the only oem parts I have left are the intercooler with the original piping and stock cat off the turbo and the lower engine mount, everything else has been replaced. It's a full 2 1/2 exhaust straight pipe after the oem cat which i want to replace along with the intercooler. Car has a DCT trans in case your wondering.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I don't have the stock BPV nor solenoid i changed that within a week of having the car. I'm running a mac solenoid and HKS bov. I've had my car for about 2 months now and the only oem parts I have left are the intercooler with the original piping and stock cat off the turbo and the lower engine mount, everything else has been replaced. It's a full 2 1/2 exhaust straight pipe after the oem cat which i want to replace along with the intercooler. Car has a DCT trans in case your wondering.
Well I hate to break it to you. But with that BOV, you’re going to get a small amount of flutter at low rpm/boost. Nothing really to worry about, an intercooler isn’t going to fix that. I run the SXTH FMIC and TurboXS Hybrid and still get a little bit.

I however would recommend the FMIC anyway. The difference it makes is incredible. I would tune first though if you haven’t

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I hate to break it to you. But with that BOV, you’re going to get a small amount of flutter at low rpm/boost. Nothing really to worry about, an intercooler isn’t going to fix that. I run the SXTH FMIC and TurboXS Hybrid and still get a little bit.

I however would recommend the FMIC anyway. The difference it makes is incredible. I would tune first though if you haven’t
Oh ok so I don’t have to worry about that then, it’s actually a relief to know it’s running fine. What I have is a lap3 piggyback tuner on the car I didn’t want to jump the gun on the ecu swap in case I had any issues with the car but I may just get the lap3 ecu and the fmic would help a lot.

Which heat wrap did you go w/? When you say "replace the restrictive oem tork tube", do you mean something like the following link?
https://www.sxthelement.com/Intercooler-Resonator-Delete-Pipe-p/00-01-102.htm
Yup that’s it, you could swap that out really quick and easy. It takes longer to remove and install the under tray than the intercooler resonator delete. And the heat wrap I got from an auto parts store can’t remember the name right now, the one I got was 1.5” x 15ft. You may need more than one roll depending on how long the intake you get is, I used 2 rolls on mine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh ok so I don’t have to worry about that then, it’s actually a relief to know it’s running fine. What I have is a lap3 piggyback tuner on the car I didn’t want to jump the gun on the ecu swap in case I had any issues with the car but I may just get the lap3 ecu and the fmic would help a lot.
How do you have the Pro Tuner already when it isn’t even out yet?

What exactly is it that you’re running? Really hoping not the Uncle Chip

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.