Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ES is 3.5 years old with 36,000 km (22,000 mi). At the beginning of this month I had my winter wheels/tires installed at Kal Tire. They did a brake inspection and reported pad depth of 4 mm on the front and 3 mm on the rear. They recommended a front brake package @ CAD$399.99 and a rear brake package @ CAD$329.99. Their brake package includes new brake pads and rotors, caliper servicing, and bleeding of brake fluid system. I took their recommendation under advisement.

Flash ahead one week to a visit to my dealership (Murray Hyundai) for a Service #1. They reported pad depths of 8 mm on the front and 7 mm rear. In other words, brake pads that the tire shop said were in need of replacement were in fine shape according to the dealer. Interestingly, the tire shop and the dealership reported virtually identical tread depths on my winter tires: the tire store said 8/32; the dealership said 9/32.

I've patronized the same tire store for around 20 years and have never felt they were pushing unnecessary work until now. The fact that they recommended expensive brake packages rather than just replacing the "worn" brake pads adds to my suspicion.

Since I'm not experiencing any symptoms of worn brakes, I'm debating whether I should bother get a third opinion. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
339 Posts
Interesting. I mean on our cars it is very easy to visually estimate pads' thickness as they are visible. What do your own eyes tell you?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Pad shouldn't be that worn after 22k miles unless you are really hard on them. The car isn't old enough to need a full brake service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My ES is 3.5 years old with 36,000 km (22,000 mi). At the beginning of this month I had my winter wheels/tires installed at Kal Tire. They did a brake inspection and reported pad depth of 4 mm on the front and 3 mm on the rear. They recommended a front brake package @ CAD$399.99 and a rear brake package @ CAD$329.99. Their brake package includes new brake pads and rotors, caliper servicing, and bleeding of brake fluid system. I took their recommendation under advisement.

Flash ahead one week to a visit to my dealership (Murray Hyundai) for a Service #1. They reported pad depths of 8 mm on the front and 7 mm rear. In other words, brake pads that the tire shop said were in need of replacement were in fine shape according to the dealer. Interestingly, the tire shop and the dealership reported virtually identical tread depths on my winter tires: the tire store said 8/32; the dealership said 9/32.

I've patronized the same tire store for around 20 years and have never felt they were pushing unnecessary work until now. The fact that they recommended expensive brake packages rather than just replacing the "worn" brake pads adds to my suspicion.

Since I'm not experiencing any symptoms of worn brakes, I'm debating whether I should bother get a third opinion. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
I'd get a second opinion, preferably from the dealership service. I have a 17 ES manual w/70,000 miles. After a recent oil change, my pads are 8 and 9mm thick. I only allow the dealership service dept. to touch my car, except for tires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd get a second opinion, preferably from the dealership service. I have a 17 ES manual w/70,000 miles. After a recent oil change, my pads are 8 and 9mm thick. I only allow the dealership service dept. to touch my car, except for tires.
There is a satisfactory conclusion to the story. On November 27, 2021, I sent an email to the Kal Tire customer service department explaining my concerns. I keep my service records and so was able to document big differences between the Hyundai dealer's and the tire store's reports of pad wear covering a period about 18 months and about 10,000 km of driving.

On November 29th I got an email from Kal Tire customer service stating that my concerns had been passed along "...to the appropriate Management Team Members to ensure that they are aware of the situation and provide you with follow-up as soon as possible." That same morning the manager of the store phoned me. He said that, based on the evidence I provided, the Hyundai dealer's inspection reports were credible and that my brakes were fine.

He said that the pad depths on his store's inspection report were an instance of what he called "pencil measurement," i.e., the person who worked on my car made up the numbers. He apologized for this. He said that during busy periods he hires seasonal workers to do routine tire/wheel swaps and vehicle inspections. Unfortunately, some don't do their job properly. He said that he would be using my experience as a teaching moment for his staff. He also assured me that if I had authorized the brake packages, their brake technicians would have found that no work was needed.

As I mentioned in my original posting, I've dealt with this particular Kal Tire store for many years without any complaints. I'm chalking up this recent experience to the incompetence of one employee. The willingness of the manager to own up to the mistake and to take steps to prevent it happening to others is reassuring. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and will continue to patronize the store. It's also nice to know that I can put some faith in the inspections done by my Hyundai dealer.

BTW, when I initially questioned the Kal Tire store's honesty I was tempted to post blistering reviews on social media. I'm glad I didn't rush to judgement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 Elantra GT N-line. I get service at the same Hyundai dealer each time. I am light on the brakes but use adaptive cruise whenever I can ( most of the time). At 16,000 mile checkup I was shocked at pad wear: F7/R5. I started wondering about the cruise algorithm; does it excessively use the brakes? So I stopped using it. At 21,000 yesterday: F10/R9. Different techs each time. What to do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts