Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ES is 3.5 years old with 36,000 km (22,000 mi). At the beginning of this month I had my winter wheels/tires installed at Kal Tire. They did a brake inspection and reported pad depth of 4 mm on the front and 3 mm on the rear. They recommended a front brake package @ CAD$399.99 and a rear brake package @ CAD$329.99. Their brake package includes new brake pads and rotors, caliper servicing, and bleeding of brake fluid system. I took their recommendation under advisement.

Flash ahead one week to a visit to my dealership (Murray Hyundai) for a Service #1. They reported pad depths of 8 mm on the front and 7 mm rear. In other words, brake pads that the tire shop said were in need of replacement were in fine shape according to the dealer. Interestingly, the tire shop and the dealership reported virtually identical tread depths on my winter tires: the tire store said 8/32; the dealership said 9/32.

I've patronized the same tire store for around 20 years and have never felt they were pushing unnecessary work until now. The fact that they recommended expensive brake packages rather than just replacing the "worn" brake pads adds to my suspicion.

Since I'm not experiencing any symptoms of worn brakes, I'm debating whether I should bother get a third opinion. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
323 Posts
Interesting. I mean on our cars it is very easy to visually estimate pads' thickness as they are visible. What do your own eyes tell you?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Pad shouldn't be that worn after 22k miles unless you are really hard on them. The car isn't old enough to need a full brake service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts