Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, need some advice :)

2017 Elantra Sport DCT with 32,000km.
Sparingly driven for a least a year now, never missed oil change (every 5k).
I'm located in Toronto and it's been proving difficult to find an honest Hyundai Service.
Tried to go for an oil change where I bought the car and the Stealership is recommending the following:

Car is @32k and needs service#3
  • Oil change and filter replacement.
  • Top up basic fluid and washer fluid.
  • Adjust all tire pressure, inspect all lights.
  • Lubricate all locks, hinges and latches.
  • 55 point inspection.
  • Tire rotation or install tires.
  • 4 wheel brake service.
  • Replace engine air filter.
  • Complimentary alignment check.
IS IT WORTH GETTING THIS SERVICE FOR $300+? I'm sure my brake pads doesnt need replacement at the moment.

Engine light on again for the 3rd time, first two I took to the Hyundai Stealership and they just blamed the gas cap and erase code. This time they want me to pay $125+ diagnostic fee even if car still has 2 yrs warranty left.

Other problem is the trunk unresponsive, I did replace the fob battery.
And if I close the trunk it beeps so annoyingly for more than 5 seconds, (I have the key with me and not inside the car, there's no spare key inside either)

I DONT MIND NECCESSARY SERVICES DONE TO THE CAR, JUST AVOIDING UNNECESSARY EXPENSES.

YOUR ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I say go for service 2 - Oil change, tire rotation and brake inspection. If the tread on all 4 tires are the same then just get service 1.

What do you mean the trunk beeps? Is it the 3 beeps for the smart trunk feature or something else?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I say go for service 2 - Oil change, tire rotation and brake inspection. If the tread on all 4 tires are the same then just get service 1.

What do you mean the trunk beeps? Is it the 3 beeps for the smart trunk feature or something else?
One long beep. Same result if you shut the car door with it running with the key in your pocket/hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just had service at 21,000 miles and they want me to replace my pads and rotors for 300. I noticed while detailing that the rotors are peeling around the outer edge and there is a light squeel when first braking, so I knew the recommedation was coming. I replaced my pads on my veloster at about 40000 miles using the wagner tq. Best skill I ever taught myself.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT
2 Posts
Hyundai service advisor here from the GTA (ya ya get the digs in now, I'm here for my car not to defend Hyundai haha). I'm not sure if your dealership is different but at mine the service 3 includes a fuel induction service to clean out the throttle body, air intake valves and the fuel injectors from carbon deposits that build up over time. A fuel induction is recommended by my dealer every 24,000 and is included with the service 3, but on it's own is around $140.

As for the brake service, it really depends on what exactly they plan on doing. My dealer recommends a pad service every 24k where they sand down the pads to be even and lubricate. Machining rotors is a different service, but they grind the rotors down smooth to eliminate rust build up or grooves. Keeping the pads/rotors in good shape lends to longer brake life, since on OEM pads you should be getting 60-100k life.

If they're saying you need brand new rotors and pads at 32k and there's no grooving/pitting/corrosion then that's wack.

Edited to add, when I get the recommendation from my technician to replace the air filter on my own ES, my plan is to order a K&N filter and wash it every now and then. You're paying for the guy to install the filter otherwise.

Also, in regards to the beeping. I can't consistently replicate the issue but sometimes if I leave something on like the acc mode (push starts confuse me) it will beep when I close the door.

Edited again 7/13/20, brake life not battery life lol

·
Registered
2019 Elantra Sport
67 Posts
My '17 was doing the same thing with the trunk - no more popping open, and one long beep whenever the trunk was closed. Dealer replaced the "antenna" for the trunk and the problem was solved. Cost to me was $0. As far as the "hyundai service packages", I've got a dealer that's straight forward and they've said that as long as fluids are changed on time, warranty is fine. Never bothered with their brake service, never had a problem. Now with 87,000 km, they're due, but I'll do pads & rotors myself with warranty approved parts.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Mine still pops just fine, just beeps when I close it like 80% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
1,191 Posts
$300 is way too much for that service. Aside from rotating tires, That's what they should be doing with every regular oil change anyway. But if your tires haven't been rotated recently then they most likely need to be.

Oil change and rotation is all you should need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts