Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us know. The i30 N comes with big brakes as standard. And they also get a great review on the their stopping power & fade resistance.

We have also heard the the brakes are from Hyundai themselves.. And if you go by the size they come in. Front 345 mm x 30 mm. Rear 314 mm x 20 mm

They are the same size that come on various Hyundai Genesis vehicles.. So it would be interesting if the mounting points would all match up??

Then you could do a fairly cheap & good brake upgrade. Either 2nd hand parts or even new parts. Still would be cheaper than any aftermarket types out there...

Thoughts ???? Or is it just a bit of a wish that they could fit???

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've had si ml ilar thoughts on the matter, but more so around looking at the brakes off a Hyundai Sonata or Kia Optima turbo models...

Sadly Hyundai decided to reinvent the wheel or brakes this time when it came to our model.... no one out there yet has replacement pads yet as a first step brake upgrade.

Only option currently is a full aftermarket rotor/caliper replacement, and I cant seem to find anyone yet online that has tested or tried brake parts from similar hyundai/kia models....

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had si ml ilar thoughts on the matter, but more so around looking at the brakes off a Hyundai Sonata or Kia Optima turbo models...

Sadly Hyundai decided to reinvent the wheel or brakes this time when it came to our model.... no one out there yet has replacement pads yet as a first step brake upgrade.

Only option currently is a full aftermarket rotor/caliper replacement, and I cant seem to find anyone yet online that has tested or tried brake parts from similar hyundai/kia models....

Powerstop offers a Z23 compound pad--its an autocross/HP street pad. Its NOT a track pad...

Reactions: KlasseAct

·
Registered
2,958 Posts

Actually KDM Tuners has pads as we speak. In fact I already ordered them along with slotted rotors and will be installing them on Monday to prepare for an autocross next weekend. 🙂

·
Registered
209 Posts
Rears only from Powerstop unfortunately...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome! Thanks Echo... how do you find them vs the stock pads? Much of a difference?

·
Registered
209 Posts
That part number according to the manufacturer is for a Tuscon, our front brake pads might be from that...

·
Registered
209 Posts
I mean KDM Tuners has some. Everyone can just ignore me though. lol
Thanks R1600, yes I did have a look at KDMTuners, they've got the complete front and rear Porterfield R4S brake pad kit.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Is there any info out there if the i30n brakes will fit on an Elantra sport?
Not yet. Though they are probably very similar to the Veloster N brakes which will be a crap ton easier to get since it's actually sold in this country. IMO a fluid, line, rotor, pad upgrade is plenty of stopping power on an ES with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not yet. Though they are probably very similar to the Veloster N brakes which will be a crap ton easier to get since it's actually sold in this country. IMO a fluid, line, rotor, pad upgrade is plenty of stopping power on an ES with the stock turbo.
I would agree on that.. But bigger brakes would look far better. And so would a floating brake caliper look way better than the sliding type we have as std. Specially painted.

Photos are for examples

Attachments

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I would agree on that.. But bigger brakes would look far better. And so would a floating brake caliper look way better than the sliding type we have as std. Specially painted.

Photos are for examples
Meh. That's a lot of extra money for looks. I just need them to work, and the upgrades I have made are sufficient.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lets resurrect this thread momentarily shall we? Any word on the N-Line brakes fitting the ES?

Looking for a bit more stopping power for mountain road runs around the Calgary area. No track racing involved, just mountain pass runs for spirited driving and regular city driving. Still on stock rubber. I haven't run into too many issues with the stock tires yet, but with a Lap3 tune inbound soon that may change. If new tires are the best option, I'd still be going with HP all seasons. I have a full set for winter, but weather in my area can be all over the place. HP all seasons let me ride on the summer setup for longer till I have to suffer on winters.

Pad and fluid upgrades? SS Lines? Rotors? Any input on the best place to start? Whats needed and what would be overboard? Or is getting new rubber just the best option?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Lets resurrect this thread momentarily shall we? Any word on the N-Line brakes fitting the ES?

Looking for a bit more stopping power for mountain road runs around the Calgary area. No track racing involved, just mountain pass runs for spirited driving and regular city driving. Still on stock rubber. I haven't run into too many issues with the stock tires yet, but with a Lap3 tune inbound soon that may change. If new tires are the best option, I'd still be going with HP all seasons. I have a full set for winter, but weather in my area can be all over the place. HP all seasons let me ride on the summer setup for longer till I have to suffer on winters.

Pad and fluid upgrades? SS Lines? Rotors? Any input on the best place to start? Whats needed and what would be overboard? Or is getting new rubber just the best option?
Most people forget that stopping power and better tires go hand in hand. (the tires are what make contact with the ground...) Sure you can upgrade the brakes but if you are still on stock tires, you're not going to see their full potential.

Do the tires, then do the pads. If you need more than that, do lines and fluid. Stock rotors are fine if you are not tracking the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most people forget that stopping power and better tires go hand in hand. (the tires are what make contact with the ground...) Sure you can upgrade the brakes but if you are still on stock tires, you're not going to see their full potential.

Do the tires, then do the pads. If you need more than that, do lines and fluid. Stock rotors are fine if you are not tracking the car.
You always bring the good info, cheers. This was kinda of my thought pattern. Any suggestions on on pad upgrades? Saw the Pierce options, any others to consider?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You always bring the good info, cheers. This was kinda of my thought pattern. Any suggestions on on pad upgrades? Saw the Pierce options, any others to consider?
I'm currently using Porterfield pads I got from Josh at KDM Tuners. No complaints outside of increased dust, especially in the rear. But that is a side effect of more aggressive pads. I do autocross the car and run the canyons from time to time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bremtec have also release their Pro series pads for the Elantra Turbo. I'll be getting these shortly as none of the other major brands make rear and front pads available in Australia.

Front - BT23240PRO
Rear - BT1402PRO

http://bremtec.com.au/product-range/brake-pads/pro-line/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.