Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I just purchased my brand new 2019 Elantra Sport w/ Premium Package on 5/17/2019, it has now been in the dealer's shop for *3 weeks* now, since the ECM light came on with an OBDC 0234 - Engine Overboost condition error and complete power loss to the drive train.

TWO trips to the dealer, a completely replaced Turbocharger and almost three weeks later, my dealer had to Call in a Hyundai Engineer to come and look at my car :(

I'm curious if any new 2019 Elantra Sport owners have experienced this??

Dave

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 2017, but AFAIK, the 2019s are a cosmetic refresh - it still uses the same 1.6TGDI Gamma inline 4.

The only issue I have had so far was a coolant leak due to a bad weld from the turbo water line. I've never had an issue like you describe.

I see you're in the Bay Area - I bought my ES from Capitol Hyundai and have been taking it there for regular service.

In any case, I hope they can figure out what's going on - otherwise push for a lemon law buyback.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Almost 52k miles here on my '17 (same engine) and the CEL has never come on for me for anything. I had a squeaky cooling fan replaced under warranty and that's it. As far as P0234 goes, never seen that one. Lots of P0455 (EVAP) and another one for the bypass valve that I can't remember which usually comes on when people change to a BOV.

Did they change the boost control solenoid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will update this post later this week after I speak with the General Manager at the Hyudai Dealership where I purchased from here in the East Bay.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd imagine once you hit one month you could probably try to lemon law it. I've always heard California has one of the more customer-first lemon laws in the USA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After two attempts at reaching the General Manager at Future Hyundai of Concord, both of my voicemails to him have gone unanswered. I'm glad to know this dealership genuinely doesn't give a $hit about it's customers.

Be warned about this dealership for *anyone* considering purchasing a car there!

·
Registered
336 Posts
After two attempts at reaching the General Manager at Future Hyundai of Concord, both of my voicemails to him have gone unanswered. I'm glad to know this dealership genuinely doesn't give a $hit about it's customers.

Be warned about this dealership for *anyone* considering purchasing a car there!

Really disappointed to hear about this. The dealership experience really makes/breaks a relationship with a specific manufacturer brand. Personally I would pursue lemon law buyback.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep. This really REALLY sucks. I was happy with the Elantra until all of this happened.

Next step is legal action...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
..so funny you mentioned that; I was just literally combing HyundaiUSA for such info. Unfortunately it's the usual marketing nonsense, so I may have to dig deeper.

I never imagined in a *million* years I was going to have to deal with this.. My new car has literally been in the Dealership's service center for 21 days now... I have *only* driven the car for 25 days :(

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
..so funny you mentioned that; I was just literally combing HyundaiUSA for such info. Unfortunately it's the usual marketing nonsense, so I may have to dig deeper.

I never imagined in a *million* years I was going to have to deal with this.. My new car has literally been in the Dealership's service center for 21 days now... I have *only* driven the car for 25 days :(
https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/contact-us.html

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hopefully corporate will be able to help you. I’ve had Hyundai’s for over 10 years and have had great experiences with the cars themselves it so-so experiences with the dealers. In your case hopefully corporate steps in since your car is so new, good luck man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Z!

I *finally* got feedback from both the service Manager and the GM:

So we did speak with tech-line that assists us with repairs. We did end up further figuring out there is a faulty turbo solenoid that needs to be replaced. The picture I attached is an example so you can see. The item circled in red is the solenoid. The blue line is a vacuum line, and lastly the green circle is a vacuum port that is tapped into the turbo housing. We are getting vacuum from the port on the turbo but the solenoid is not reacting to the vacuum and the solenoid is staying shut and should be opening when vacuum is applied. We need to replace that solenoid so it will open properly and release extra boost pressure. I will talk with Steve and let him know first hand you are trying to contact him. I do understand your frustration 1000%.

They are saying the the Solenoid should be in tomorrow or Monday..

Fingers crossed this is the final resolution!!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Wow. Wow. Wow. This is why I don't trust dealers.

That is not a solenoid. That is the wastegate actuator itself. It's mechanical in nature and rarely fails. The wastegate solenoid is actually attached to the right side of the engine, about half way up, not far from the turbo. It has a two wire connector that is right on top of the valve cover. Follow those wires down and you will find it.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I had a coolant leak too but was told a bracket holding a hose had broken.
I had this same problem, but I think it's still the same issue as it's a coolant line to the turbo on the back side of the engine. There's a bracket that it's literally welded to and the line breaks on that bracket and leaks like a sieve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts