Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put the lap3 93 octane tune in my 2017 es. Used the proper 45 plugs and 5-40 oil. Box said not to change plug gap so I didn’t. I’ve got the tork motorsports ebcs as well. At the low and high end of the rpm range it’s breaking up really bad. Possibly loosing boost? Is the ebcs I’m using not ok? Do I need a different one? Could my hoses possibly be leaking. I’m at a loss here lol. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
You'll need to elaborate on "breaking up".
What is actually happening?

Immediate things to check....

- Spark plug gap, regardless of what the box says. Check KDM tuners website for a great video on this.

- check your ebcs hose connections are all ok and tight and most impprtantly the correct way around. See pic, A goes to turbo housing, B goes to wastegate, and the electrical connector is on and the wires are not damaged, you should hear a clicking when this is operating normally.

Without more info... hard to help..

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
This has been mentioned in other post, r1600 mentioned the (please don't yell if I butcher this) waste gate actuator on the car is very weak. I have the same issue and will be doing it soon.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
This has been mentioned in other post, r1600 mentioned the (please don't yell if I butcher this) waste gate actuator on the car is very weak. I have the same issue and will be doing it soon.
He said he has the Tork one, but my question would be 'which one?'. The old Tork EBCS was prone to failure, I know someone that lost an engine because of it. I hear they have changed to a new type but I do not know exactly what it is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OP. Which solenoid did you buy? Got pics?

I would not recommend the MAC branded solenoid on the wastegate side. Warning... Very high boost spikes will occur. If you play with boost, install a boost gauge.

I've ordered the Borg Warner solenoid awaiting delivery and further testing.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
You know someone who lost an engine from it because of poor tuning and diagnostics lol
Typical of you guys to be nowhere and then suddenly show up when someone mentions your name. In any case, you can bring that up with the owner.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OP. Which solenoid did you buy? Got pics?

I would not recommend the MAC branded solenoid on the wastegate side. Warning... Very high boost spikes will occur. If you play with boost, install a boost gauge.

I've ordered the Borg Warner solenoid awaiting delivery and further testing.
Why would you not recommend the MAC ECBS? There are 2 very popular vendors in the community using them with zero issues.
I mentioned this to John as I have your stage 0+ tune (very happy so far) as well, I saw boost spikes as high as 1.8bar when using the MAC solenoid and intake. Readings were done using a mechanical gauge as well as an electronic boost gauge to verify the high boost readings, and it's only occurring during a WOT gear change on a DCT car.

By this stage I had already seized 1 MAC solenoid and I replaced it with another locally, with the same boost spikes.

Yes the MAC does hold boost better/longer and it does react to boost demands by the ECU quicker but the downside is that it holds this high boost during a DCT gear change resulting in higher than normal boost pressure. This may be a DCT quirk, as during a manual gear change you come off the gas enough to relieve some of that excess pressure by the BoV.

I re-installed the stock EBCS and have not had any issues of boost spikes since, 3 months now all good still. Max has been 1.4Bar since going back to stock.

On the topic, I also noticed a decrease in boost readings going from my DIY intake with pod filter to the stock intake with K&N panel filter, but only by about 0.1 bar.

·
Registered
209 Posts
BUMP @Tork
Just after some thoughts and feedback at the above.

Everyone else, please keep it clean.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for clarifying Tork... Is there anyway to avoid this boost spike?

I noticed on the factory line from the solenoid to the wastegate there's what looks like to be a little canister? Does this actually do anything? I've taken this canister out of the line and replaced with all new vac tube only....

·
Registered
209 Posts
BUMP

Can anyone else answer the above question since Tork has been banned...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts